Junction by Blackfriars Station: proposals

  • Philip Loy
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 5, 2009
      Dear All

      I wonder if I might trouble you for some informal feedback from those of you who cycle northbound over Blackfriars Bridge (into New Bridge Street).

      The transport consultancy I work for is re-designing the road layout by Blackfriars Station. After discussing this with colleagues on the project, one of the things I’m wondering about is that segregated bit just after you come off the bridge that’s intended to protect cyclists from vehicles that might squeeze them as they go around the bend (so to speak).

      I’ve heard some cyclists say it’s a bit too narrow and it effectively makes its usefulness limited. Is this view shared by many?

      In the re-design of the road layout, one of the priorities is to install a new pedestrian crossing with an alignment that serves a new entrance to Blackfriars Station on the west side. Currently there is no crossing from there to the pavement opposite.

      This makes for a better crossing for pedestrians but necessitates cutting across that bit of cycle lane/ track as well as the road.

      The designs are yet to be finalised but it would appear at this stage that a design would require the following:

      * A design that does not encourage cyclists to speed up as they approach the proposed pedestrian crossing with attendant possibility of collision with pedestrians

      * A design that maintains the safety of cyclists as all traffic goes around the curve

      I’m wondering for example whether the segregation needs to be as long as it is at present. A strategically located bollard on a short island for instance might have just as much effect as a long piece of kerbing but without the constrictions.

      Of course the segregated channel could be made wider/ longer but that might encourage cyclists to treat it as an effective by-pass to the lights. However, as the pedestrian crossing might be located before where the existing segregation starts, this may not be so much of an issue. It is envisaged that the crossing will be heavily used especially at peak times for users of the rail services.

      I leave it up to you whether you feel you want to discuss this on the Yahoo group or e-mail me directly. If you do e-mail me directly you can use: philip.loy@... or call 020 7053 1377 (please leave contact details in case I need to get back to you).

      I look forward to hearing your thoughts, and thank you for your time.

      Philip

      For those of you who don’t know me I am the LCC coordinator for Lambeth Cyclists (and interim coordinator for Kensington & Chelsea LCC) and a consultant at Colin Buchanan transport consultancy.
    • Andrew Weir
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 5, 2009
        Bit difficult to characterise but, briefly, you really need to watch your
        back as you go due north from Blackfriars because many of the cars are in
        the wrong lane for going north because they have used the emptier right hand
        lane on the bridge to get in front of others. As they come off the bridge
        they don¹t follow the lane going east in front of the railway station, which
        is what their lane is indicating, but squeeze other cars leftward so they
        can go north on New Bridge rd. Cars being squeezed from the left move left
        and squeeze anything to their left, e.g. Bikes, rather than braking and
        letting the other guy push in. The whole thing is a mess and was so before
        the works started on the station. If they could shave something off the bend
        on the turn from Victoria embankment to New Bridge Road, that would help
        prevent the ³pinch² which threatens cyclists who are not alert to the
        leftward drifting cars.

        You should run a video camera there for a couple of hours and play it back
        in fast forward until you see enough cyclists to see what is going on there.

        Andrew

        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 5, 2009
          Pardon me, I should have said, ³cars being squeezed from the right² not
          left. (It¹s bad enough trying to make this stuff comprehensible without
          mixing your left and right.) Andrew

        • Simon E. Devlin
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 5, 2009
            If I’m reading you right (and assuming I copy the correct link), you’re referring to pin #2 on this map?

            http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&encType=1&cid=6EEFA4F34E8B2CEA!360

            Works better if you switch to ‘birds eye’ view. Comments are attached to the pins, but just in case tech fails me:

            Currently way too narrow. Before I gave up on Blackfriars in favour of Southwark bridge I generally opted to adopt a strong position in the left hand traffic lane exiting into New Bridge street.

            The cars are bigger but actually more predictable than the crush of cyclists in that tiny cycle lane.

            I appreciate the intention of the segregated lane but personally I think at peak times the raised kerbs on the island are a hazard - there's not a lot of wiggle room if a cyclists misjudges merging into the other bike stream.

            Hope that’s some help

            I leave it up to you whether you feel you want to discuss this on the Yahoo group or e-mail me directly. If you do e-mail me directly you can use: philip.loy@...<mailto:philip.loy%40buchanancycling.co.uk> or call 020 7053 1377 (please leave contact details in case I need to get back to you).

              I leave it up to you whether you feel you want to discuss this on the Yahoo group or e-mail me directly. If you do e-mail me directly you can use: philip.loy@...<mailto:philip.loy%40buchanancycling.co.uk><mailto:philip.loy%40buchanancycling.co.uk> or call 020 7053 1377 (please leave contact details in case I need to get back to you).

              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 5, 2009
                --- In Lambeth_Cyclists@yahoogroups.com, "Simon E. Devlin" wrote:

                > Grr, that !360 bit on the end is probably important but Outlook has mangled it.

                Hopefully this shortcut link works:

                http://snipurl.com/oswsb

                As Simon suggests, click the button for 'bird's eye' view.

                Excellent set up Simon. Yes that's exactly where I meant.

                Apologies for the corrupted comma formatting in my previous message - I forgot it does that when you compose in Word and paste into the Yahoo web-based e-mail. Hopefully not too garbled.

                Philip
              • Mark Knox
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 6, 2009
                  I never use that cycle lane. Coming north off the bridge and wanting to continue north up New Bridge St, I find it far too awkward a manoeuvre to hoick myself over to the left to approach the cycle lane and then twist round to the right to enter it. I much prefer staying in the stream of traffic.

                  I do see potential conflict in a new pedestrian crossing there. Given how many cyclists now ignore pedestrian red lights, and the speed at which, if the lights at the foot of the bridge are with them, cyclists are coming downhill off the bridge, there may be difficulties. Perhaps some cycle-calming is called for.

                  Mark Knox

                • Ben Patrick
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 6, 2009
                    Likewise, the cycle lane is not attractive to me and I tend to go on the
                    road with cars. This too has its dangers obviously with all the sqeezing
                    going on as described.

                    This whole junction is a terrifying disaster for bikes - has anybody tried
                    turing into Queen Victoria Street NE from Blackfriars bridge or starting
                    with cars/motorcyles going south onto the briadge? It is like a dodgem
                    course with cars racing and jockeying with each other for road - at expense
                    of cycles who again get sqeezed. Agree Southwark Bridge a calmer option but
                    a longer ride for many like me heading for example to the Temple or Courts.

                    Ben

                    On 8/6/09, Mark Knox <mpknox@...> wrote:

                    > I never use that cycle lane. Coming north off the bridge and wanting to
                    > continue north up New Bridge St, I find it far too awkward a manoeuvre to
                    > hoick myself over to the left to approach the cycle lane and then twist
                    > round to the right to enter it. I much prefer staying in the stream of
                    > traffic.
                    >
                    > I do see potential conflict in a new pedestrian crossing there. Given how
                    > many cyclists now ignore pedestrian red lights, and the speed at which, if
                    > the lights at the foot of the bridge are with them, cyclists are coming
                    > downhill off the bridge, there may be difficulties. Perhaps some
                    > cycle-calming is called for.
                    >
                    > Mark Knox

                  • Robert Anderson
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 6, 2009
                      Actually I'm not sure why the pedestrian crossing is really
                      necessary. There is a pedestrian underpass from the station.

                      On 6 Aug 2009, at 10:29, Mark Knox wrote:

                      > I never use that cycle lane. Coming north off the bridge and wanting
                      > to continue north up New Bridge St, I find it far too awkward a
                      > manoeuvre to hoick myself over to the left to approach the cycle
                      > lane and then twist round to the right to enter it. I much prefer
                      > staying in the stream of traffic.
                      >
                      > I do see potential conflict in a new pedestrian crossing there.
                      > Given how many cyclists now ignore pedestrian red lights, and the
                      > speed at which, if the lights at the foot of the bridge are with
                      > them, cyclists are coming downhill off the bridge, there may be
                      > difficulties. Perhaps some cycle-calming is called for.
                      >
                      > Mark Knox

                    • Simon E. Devlin
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 8, 2009
                        Thanks, glad it was some use. I posted this on the cycling chat channel at work and it prompted at least one additional response that I'm aware of. If any others work for large corporate with that kind of thing, it's worth a punt.

                        Not sure if it's worth going to the trouble of facebooking the request but perhaps it's a thought for future use of internet/social networking to help get responses.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 10, 2009
                          --- In Lambeth_Cyclists@yahoogroups.com, "Simon E. Devlin" wrote:

                          > Not sure if it's worth going to the trouble of facebooking the
                          > request but perhaps it's a thought for future use of internet/social
                          > networking to help get responses.

                          That's a useful suggestion. At least two other LCC groups (Tower Hamlets Wheelers and Southwark Cyclists) as well as LCC itself and even Lambeth Council use Facebook for cycling stuff, and at least two of those use Twitter.

                          I'm not sure what further benefits they bring that we don't already have with the website and Yahoo email group but there may be an argument for reaching out to new audiences that we wouldn't normally have reached and for widening participation, perhaps.

                          Let's put this on the Lambeth Cyclists meeting agenda for a week on Tuesday - 18th August, see if anyone would like to take it forward.

                          Cheers
                          Philip
                        • paul.lowe@cyclinginstructor.com
                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 10, 2009