International women's day ride

  • TESSA WRIGHT
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2, 2009

      I was sent the following link to an LCC ride on International Women's Day by a friend who was not impressed:
      http://www.lcc.org.uk/index.asp?PageID=1279

      Any of you other 'Lambeth lovelies', sorry women cyclists, object to being a 'bird on a bike'? It was bad enough that the article on women cyclists last year had to use so much pink text! I'm thinking of writing to the mag...

      Tessa

    • sarah slater
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 3, 2009
        I think they are trying to appeal to a YOUNG crowd - sadly they are yet to realise that cyclist are seldom hip but genrally consistant...........................

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 3, 2009
          The LCC thing is just tacky. Give them hell.

          On 02/03/2009 19:02, "TESSA WRIGHT" <tejwright@...> wrote:

          > I was sent the following link to an LCC ride on International Women's Day by a
          > friend who was not impressed:
          > http://www.lcc.org.uk/index.asp?PageID=1279
          >
          > Any of you other 'Lambeth lovelies', sorry women cyclists, object to being a
          > 'bird on a bike'? It was bad enough that the article on women cyclists last
          > year had to use so much pink text! I'm thinking of writing to the mag...
          >
          > Tessa

        • Scarlett McQueen
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 3, 2009
            Absolutely! To be honest it has put me off attending the event. I may be a humourless, dungaree- wearing, old -fashioned feminist, but to me, the term "birds" still has very laddish connotations, and is generally used to belittle women rather than empowering, or even simply describing them, and I feel a bit cross that the event has been described in this way. I can see the temptation to come up with an alliterative event title, but what about women on wheels, or even bicycle belles?