Re: [Lambeth_Cyclists] Architecture Ride: Suburbia - Sat 29th Nov

  • Tim Oddy
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2008
      Lambeth Cyclists wrote:

      > The Suburb Salubrious
      >
      > Saturday 29th November 2008
      >
      > http://www.lcc.org.uk/index.asp?PageID=1227
      >
      > Suburban Housing: Georgian to Edwardian
      >
      > This ride will be a celebration of the infinite variety of suburban
      > housing - detached, semi-detached and terraced - that we cycle past
      > every day.
      >
      > It will look at how speculative builders pillaged, adapted and applied
      > every style that filtered down from the loftier architectural world in
      > their efforts to woo the status-hungry middle classes.
      >
      > From sober Georgian terraces to quirky Arts and Crafts cottages, via
      > Italianate, Gothic, Queen Anne, Vernacular, and every combination of the
      > above, the ride will examine the glory days of the suburbs in the 150
      > years or so leading up to the First World War.

      If anyone want to remind themselves where we went, I've uploaded a GPS
      trace of our route, from the start at the corner of Black Prince Road
      and Kennington Road all the way to the final tea and cake stop next to
      Herne Hill Railway Station.

      According to the GPS track, which has been run through GPSBabel to tidy
      things up, the entire route was around 19.36 miles, which does gel with
      the numbers from my cycle computer.

      http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=25562

      --
      Tim Oddy, Operations Engineer
      Space Magnetometer Laboratory

      t.oddy@...
    • jontaylor@dial.pipex.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2008
        Thanks to Mark (hopefully that was his name - terrible on names)for researching and leading the ride.

        A lot of work had clearly enjoyed it.

        Thoroughly enjoyed it.

        Paul

        Quoting Tim Oddy <t.oddy@...>:

        > Lambeth Cyclists wrote:
        >
        > > The Suburb Salubrious
        > >
        > > Saturday 29th November 2008
        > >
        > > http://www.lcc.org.uk/index.asp?PageID=1227
        > >
        > > Suburban Housing: Georgian to Edwardian
        > >
        > > This ride will be a celebration of the infinite variety of suburban
        > > housing - detached, semi-detached and terraced - that we cycle past
        > > every day.
        > >
        > > It will look at how speculative builders pillaged, adapted and applied
        > > every style that filtered down from the loftier architectural world in
        > > their efforts to woo the status-hungry middle classes.
        > >
        > > From sober Georgian terraces to quirky Arts and Crafts cottages, via
        > > Italianate, Gothic, Queen Anne, Vernacular, and every combination of the
        > > above, the ride will examine the glory days of the suburbs in the 150
        > > years or so leading up to the First World War.
        >
        > If anyone want to remind themselves where we went, I've uploaded a GPS
        > trace of our route, from the start at the corner of Black Prince Road
        > and Kennington Road all the way to the final tea and cake stop next to
        > Herne Hill Railway Station.
        >
        > According to the GPS track, which has been run through GPSBabel to tidy
        > things up, the entire route was around 19.36 miles, which does gel with
        > the numbers from my cycle computer.
        >
        > http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=25562
        >
        > --
        > Tim Oddy, Operations Engineer
        > Space Magnetometer Laboratory
        > Space and Atmospheric Physics
        > 6M59, Huxley Building
        > Imperial College London
        >
        > t.oddy@...

        Visit Pipex Business: The homepage for UK Small Businesses

        Go to http://www.pipex.co.uk/business-services