FW: Surrey County Cricket Club, Kennington Oval (Oval Ward) - 07/04598/FUL/EMR/17496

  • Lambeth Cyclists
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 3, 2008
      For information - see e-mail below from prominent South London cycle officer and campaigner Roger Stocker.

      Last week I noticed posters near the Oval that some local residents had put up, urging people to oppose development of a new hotel as it would 'generate extra traffic'. I think the 'wrong' kind of traffic would be nearer the truth.

      Has anybody had any involvement with this?

      Philip

      ________________________________

      From: Roger Stocker
      To: tjsmith@...
      CC: jdavy@...; Lambeth_Cyclists@...
      Subject: Surrey County Cricket Club, Kennington Oval (Oval Ward) - 07/04598/FUL/EMR/17496
      Date: 25 Jan 2008

      Dear Councillor Smith,

      As a fairly regular user of the Oval cricket ground I am very much aware of the lack of adequate cycle parking facilities, both when visiting the ground to watch cricket, visit the sports facilities or use the conference suite. The application you are taking next Tuesday evening does not give me too much confidence that this situation will be remedied. Even if only 5% of the additional spectators came by cycle (not a difficult target to achieve form a travel plan) this would need an additional 80 cycle parking places. Add to this a hotel that should have secure cycle parking facilities for both guests and staff this need careful planning to ensure the development gets it right. Given that Lambeth council has targets to increase cycle usage in the borough even these figures will soon be out of date.

      Although I realise that there are more important issues to take into account in this application history shows this issue was not adequately addressed in previous planning decisions and I hope you can correct this with this application.

      Regards,
      Roger Stocker
      London SE4

      Telly addicts unite!
      http://www.searchgamesbox.com/tvtown.shtml
    • Luke Evans
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 4, 2008
        I believe the planning application for the development was passed last week - its for a hotel at the Oval, see http://www.surreycricket.com/hotel/the-new-development/ for further information.

        I know local residents are not especially happy about the plans as they fear that the new structure will block the light. On at least a short term basis as construction takes place its likely to disrupt the cycle routes in the vicinty.

        Luke

        ____________ _________ _________ __

        From: Roger Stocker

        To: tjsmith@lambeth. gov.uk

[...]