City of London "Safer Cycling Campaign"

  • Rebecca Lack
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 5, 2008
      Below is a press release I received which may be of interest to people who cycle in/to/through the City.
      It does read as if cyclists are seen as the problem (ie endangering themselves/other road users) whereas my feeling is that to make cycling in the City safer, it is bus drivers, construction vehicle drivers, hire van drivers (to whit the fate of shockingpink), and drivers of other motor vehicles who create the hazards for this cyclist who rides very regularly to/through the City.
      Rebecca

      Find details of cycling safety campaign in City next week on Force website:

      http://www.cityoflondon.police.uk/CityPolice/Media/News/safercycling.htm

      Or below:

      SAFER CYCLING CAMPAIGN

      The City of London Police will be running a new campaign to raise the awareness of all road users and pedestrians to the issues relating to safer cycling in the City from Monday 7th January - Friday 11th January, 2008.

      The campaign will see officers providing crime prevention/reduction advice on securing cycles. The overall aim is to reduce casualties, help improve road safety for pedestrians and cyclists and reduce the number of traffic offences committed. Officers from the Roads Policing Unit will also be enforcing Advanced Stop Lines rules for motor vehicle users.

      Previous operations have raised awareness of the need for all road users to be aware of pedal cyclists and for cyclists themselves to obey traffic laws.

      The two main offences identified around cycle safety are cyclists contravening red traffic signals, and cycling on the footpath.

      During this latest 5-day campaign, police officers and PCSO’s will be on hand at fifteen key junctions identified throughout the City to provide advice and take direct action, where necessary, to promote safer cycling.

      In June 2007, a survey to establish the scale of the problem was carried out at Ludgate Circus on a Monday morning when, in just one hour, 61 cyclists were spotted jumping red lights. Campaigns since then have already had a significant impact on the number of such offences, but this latest operation will emphasise that road safety is a primary concern for the City of London Police, and dangerous cycling will not be tolerated.

      If you need any advice on safer cycling please contact:
      CycleProblemsCP4@...
      ENDS

      NOTES TO EDITORS
      Advanced stop lines: Green coloured boxes on the road, placed at the front of traffic light junctions with a cycle lane leading up to them. They allow cyclists to be at the front of traffic and in full view of other road traffic making it easier and safer to ride onwards.

      http://mobile.uk.msn.com/pc/mail.aspx
    • Mark PHC
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 5, 2008
        I've followed the actions of City Police through the various message
        groups and they do strike me as anti-cycling. On the other hand, I
        think cyclists are very quick to criticise poor driving skills (of
        which there are many examples) but not so quick to improve their own
        skills. On the odd occasion I've had cause to drive into the city
        during the morning rush hour, I don't think I've ever seen a cyclist
        occupying the correct road position. Riding in the gutter is downright
        dangerous and failing to take the lane when the road narrows (eg: at
        pedestrian refuges) is just suicidal. Whilst driving, I always afford
        cyclists in front of me the space they need but riding in the gutter
        doesn't help me to achieve this as it looks as if there is space to
        pass when in reality, I'd be putting the cyclist in danger. I also see
        no end of cyclists filtering on the left, often trying to reach those
        dreadful ASLs, which the the number one cause of cyclist deaths when a
        vehicle fails to spot the cyclist cutting alongside, turns left and
        crushes them.

        What would be a far better use of police time would be to stop every
        single cyclist who is riding in the gutter and offer them free
        training so they can gain the confidence to ride safely.

        And what's the betting that cyclists jumping red lights will get a
        fine whilst drivers in the ASL will receive "advice"????

        Mark

        On 05/01/2008, Rebecca Lack <shockingpinkbike@...> wrote:

> [...]
        >
        > If you need any advice on safer cycling please contact:
        > CycleProblemsCP4@...
        > ENDS
        >
        > NOTES TO EDITORS
        > Advanced stop lines: Green coloured boxes on the road, placed at the front of traffic light junctions with a cycle lane leading up to them. They allow cyclists to be at the front of traffic and in full view of other road traffic making it easier and safer to ride onwards.

        > Get Hotmail on your mobile, text MSN to 63463!
        > http://mobile.uk.msn.com/pc/mail.aspx
        >
        > Too many e-mails? Don't leave! Advice here:
        > http://www.lcc.org.uk/index.asp?PageID=525
        >
        > Lambeth Cyclists are a branch of the London Cycling Campaign.

      • Susan Bewley
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 5, 2008
          Whilst I agree with Rebecca about the real underlying problem (that of
          motorized vehicles), the press release and the police action are more
          nuanced than mere 'cyclist-bashing'; there was reference to raising
          awareness of cyclists, providing crime prevention/reduction advice on
          securing cycles, enforcing ASLs and the fact that cyclists both jump red
          lights and ride on pavements. Is this particular campaign really a
          problem? Maybe LCC members can recruit others when they stop and
          converse at traffic lights as they've had the advantage of advance
          notice? In terms of the hierarchy of vulnerability, the safety of and
          courtesy to pedestrians (especially the frail, elderly and children)
          should be higher on LCC radar. More awareness of the responsibilities we
          all have to vulnerable groups might go some small way to dealing with
          the selfish/ consumerist tendencies in society, acted out on so
          dangerously on our roads.

          On this note, people may be interested in a programme called Roadrage
          that’s going to be on TV on Monday night (flyer below). Philip Loy put
          the producers in contact with the Reay Safely to School Committee (and
          LCC have been very helpful in working with us and local police)
          regarding one local problem with a junction where cyclists jump lights
          at speed endangering primary school children. Whether we’ll be in the
          programme or edited out I don't know but we did try to explain the
          issues from both a pro-pedestrian and pro-cycling point of view.

          Susan

          ROADRAGE

          Britain is in the grip of an escalating road rage crisis. Filming on
          some of the UK’s most traffic-choked streets, this special investigation
          exposes just how bad the situation has become; as violence and abuse in
          the war between motorists, cyclists, wardens and police escalates
          without any solution in sight. Narrated by Jamie Theakston. A Steadfast
          production.

          Monday 7th January at 9 pm on BBC1

[...]

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.
          31/12/2007 15:32

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.
          31/12/2007 15:32
        • Rebecca Lack
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 5, 2008
            Thank you Susan for posting the info ref the Road Rage! programme - if anyone knows if it can be viewed online (for non TV-owners) afterwards, do let me know.

            Sorry Susan, but the fact that the press release includes statistics about numbers of cyclists that transgressed but no numbers of other road users who impact upon cyclists' safety, I feel the initiative is skewed or reads as if it is.

            For the record, I am often a pedestrian. And I don't just mean from my front door to the bike shed, or from the cycle stand to the building I am heading for. In fact, if ever had the good fortune to rub a tube of lube and a genie were to appear to grant me three wishes, after requesting the predictable - a handbuilt bike made to my measurements; a pedestrian- and cycle-only crossing over the Thames next to Waterloo bridge; I'd request that for one working day **each week**, on a rotating basis, from, say 6.30am to 10am and 4.30pm to 7pm, the major thoroughfares between the major rail stations and the most important destinations, including the City, would be closed to all but pedestrians, skaters, wheelchair users and cyclists. On these days, if I were doing a straightforward A to B journey, I'd walk. From where I live, nowhere is far and at peak times walking may take no longer than cycling, but to get to the City I have to navigate the Elephant and Castle; the pavements en route are too narrow for the army of people using them; and the crossing points are too congested.

            Rebecca

            > To: Lambeth_Cyclists@yahoogroups.com; southwarkcyclists@yahoogroups.com
            > CC: rebeccalack@...
            > From: sbewley@...
            > Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2008 13:52:40 +0000
            > Subject: [Lambeth_Cyclists] Road Rage! Mon 7th Jan 9 pm BBC1
            >
            > Whilst I agree with Rebecca about the real underlying problem (that of
            > motorized vehicles), the press release and the police action are more
            > nuanced than mere 'cyclist-bashing'; there was reference to raising
            > awareness of cyclists, providing crime prevention/reduction advice on
            > securing cycles, enforcing ASLs and the fact that cyclists both jump red
            > lights and ride on pavements. Is this particular campaign really a
            > problem? Maybe LCC members can recruit others when they stop and
            > converse at traffic lights as they've had the advantage of advance
            > notice? In terms of the hierarchy of vulnerability, the safety of and
            > courtesy to pedestrians (especially the frail, elderly and children)
            > should be higher on LCC radar. More awareness of the responsibilities we
            > all have to vulnerable groups might go some small way to dealing with
            > the selfish/ consumerist tendencies in society, acted out on so
            > dangerously on our roads.
            >
            > On this note, people may be interested in a programme called Roadrage
            > that’s going to be on TV on Monday night (flyer below). Philip Loy put
            > the producers in contact with the Reay Safely to School Committee (and
            > LCC have been very helpful in working with us and local police)
            > regarding one local problem with a junction where cyclists jump lights
            > at speed endangering primary school children. Whether we’ll be in the
            > programme or edited out I don't know but we did try to explain the
            > issues from both a pro-pedestrian and pro-cycling point of view.
            >
            > Susan
            >

            > ROADRAGE
            >
            > Britain is in the grip of an escalating road rage crisis. Filming on
            > some of the UK’s most traffic-choked streets, this special investigation
            > exposes just how bad the situation has become; as violence and abuse in
            > the war between motorists, cyclists, wardens and police escalates
            > without any solution in sight. Narrated by Jamie Theakston. A Steadfast
            > production.
            >
            > Monday 7th January at 9 pm on BBC1

            Who's friends with who and co-starred in what?
            http://www.searchgamesbox.com/celebrityseparation.shtml
          • Philip Loy
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 7, 2008
              > Road Rage: The Battle for Britain's...
              > Mon 7 Jan, 9:00 pm - 10:00 pm 60mins

              > Britain is in the grip of an escalating road rage crisis. Filming
              > on some of the UK's most traffic-choked streets, this special
              > investigation exposes just how bad the situation has become; as
              > violence and abuse in the war between motorists, cyclists, wardens
              > and police escalates without any solution in sight...

              So, who saw this?

              It wasn't quite as bad as I might have expected, despite the BBC
              blurb above making it sound like a documentary on the latest voting
              situation in Kenya.

              Roughly 11 minutes of 'negative' portrayals of cyclists; not too bad
              I guess, considering the rest of the 55-odd minute broadcast didn't
              show many other people in a positive light either.

              The programme started out predictably enough with a portrayal of
              Critical Mass as if it was a typical cycling scene on the roads of
              London, narrated with words like "crisis", "battle", and "war" within
              the first 5 minutes. It would have been much nicer (and truer to
              reality) to have a positive news story on the real success story of
              the cycling renaissance that has occurred in London in recent years,
              but I guess that doesn't make for great prime-time TV.

              I thought the depiction of police in the City stopping red light
              jumpers was fair enough, and we had not one, but two quotes from
              Lambeth's very own Susan Bewley on the occasion of the red light
              leafletting campaign last year that Lambeth Cyclists supported.

              One of the interesting quotes was of one of the 'school run' mothers
              protesting at Camden Town Hall who asked, quite fairly, if the school
              run causes 50% of congestion, why aren't the other 50% also
              targetted, and suggested that most of those are men commuting or
              delivering, but they as women taking kids to school were soft targets.

              Maybe. The 'Cycling for Women' action-research project undertaken
              with Lambeth Cyclists (and in Camden) a couple of years ago certainly
              suggested that women tend to have more complex journeys than men.
              More women tend to take kids to school, go shopping, make visits,
              etc., whereas more men tend to make a straight A to B commuting
              journey. Of course the purpose of that project was to promote the
              idea that women could make these journeys by bike, but I don't think
              the school-run mums in the film would have been very receptive to
              that idea, yet.

              Quote of the programme though has to be the 4x4 driver who said he
              didn't want his 7-year old walking the 2 miles to school because of
              all those other lorry, white van, and 4x4 drivers... obviously he
              considered himself an exceptionally gifted 4x4 driver.

              Not sure if the programme can be viewed on-line like BBC Radio. If
              anyone knows in answer to Rebecca's query let us know.

              Happy New Year all!

              Philip
            • Charlie Holland
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 7, 2008
                Below is a copy of the complaint I posted on the BBC website:

                The BBC Trust has failed in its commitment to ensure BBC programmes
                are high quality with this sensationalist and provocative grouping
                together of the knee jerk elements of society without a balancing
                element such as acknowledging most cyclists are also drivers etc.

                Rather than helping resolve problems it is likely to fan the flames
                and I am nervous that I will face abuse on my cycle commute from
                people stirred up by the programme.

                Two theoretically 'trustworthy' speakers were used early on - the
                Telegraph's motoring commissioning editor and the programme's
                narrator. Crucially you failed to qualify the opening statement from
                the Telegraph's motoring correspondent that vehicle drivers pay road
                tax, insurance etc. and deserve the right of the road (the
                maintenance of which I believe is actually from our Council Tax).
                Your script writer instead chose to follow her statement with the
                narrator stating that the balance of power is shifting and
                that "there are new pretenders to the throne - pedestrians and
                cyclists want equal rights on the road and this has sparked a war.
                Our roads are now a battleground."

                As the opening paragraphs of the Highway Code make clear pedestrians
                and cyclists have equal rights to the road (and were using them
                before the car came along):
                "This Highway Code applies to England, Scotland and Wales. The
                Highway Code is essential reading for everyone.
                The most vulnerable road users are pedestrians, particularly
                children, older or disabled people, cyclists, motorcyclists and horse
                riders. It is important that all road users are aware of the Code and
                are considerate towards each other. This applies to pedestrians as
                much as to drivers and riders."

                There are no legitimate grounds for "a war being sparked" yet you
                implied there are. Shame on you.
              • TESSA WRIGHT
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 8, 2008
                  I have to disagree with Philip about the best quote of the programme - it has to be the Hampstead mummy who, having tried every argument in the book to get out of a parking ticket, said something along the lines of "your husband will only accept so many parking tickets or otherwise the money will come off your clothing allowance" ! Reminded me what different worlds we all live in.

                  More seriously, I thought there was a lot of interesting stuff in the programme - despite the obviously sensationalist premise of the whole thing - including our own Susan and those great kids leaping onto the crossing to remind cyclists to stop at red, information on the number of crossings with no pedestrian lights at all (380 odd?) etc. The "poor beleagured motorist" angle (put by a dreadful Telegraph motoring correspondent) was a useful reminder of what we are up against, I guess. It was a great shame it didn't make more of the argument that we are all pedestrians too, but that wouldn't have fitted with the "battle on the streets" line.

                  Tessa

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 8, 2008
                    For all the worries about sensationalism, I was surprised just how
                    intelligent the programme was, and how much they packed in. I found
                    myself thinking about the stories today and the issues covered � like
                    the poor 90 year old who has to catch a bus to cross the road to
                    synagogue! It was very educational and will have reached out to a wide
                    general audience. It managed to let everyone speak (and let some make
                    fools of themselves) so it was accessible and engaging. I agree with
                    Tessa about �how the other half live� but think that all viewers will
                    have been challenged to think about someone else, not just themselves,
                    and in that sense it seemed quite refreshing and revolutionary for
                    television. Good citizenship and communities aren�t simple topics � but
                    no-one will have failed to be moved about the harrowing nature of road
                    deaths (one cyclist, one pedestrian) and the human determination to turn
                    grief into positive action. Probably my favourite bit (apart from our
                    wonderful children) was the spectacular recovery of our Olympian
                    cyclist.

                    It doesn�t seem to have made the BBC iPlayer watch again programmes, but
                    I�ve got a video if anyone is desperate

                    Susan

[...]

                    Philip Loy <HYPERLINK
                    "mailto:philip_loy%40yahoo.co.uk"philip_loy@...> wrote:
                    > Road Rage: The Battle for Britain's...
                    > Mon 7 Jan, 9:00 pm - 10:00 pm 60mins

                    > Britain is in the grip of an escalating road rage crisis. Filming
                    > on some of the UK's most traffic-choked streets, this special
                    > investigation exposes just how bad the situation has become; as
                    > violence and abuse in the war between motorists, cyclists, wardens
                    > and police escalates without any solution in sight...

                    So, who saw this?

                    It wasn't quite as bad as I might have expected, despite the BBC
                    blurb above making it sound like a documentary on the latest voting
                    situation in Kenya.

                    Roughly 11 minutes of 'negative' portrayals of cyclists; not too bad
                    I guess, considering the rest of the 55-odd minute broadcast didn't
                    show many other people in a positive light either.

                    The programme started out predictably enough with a portrayal of
                    Critical Mass as if it was a typical cycling scene on the roads of
                    London, narrated with words like "crisis", "battle", and "war" within
                    the first 5 minutes. It would have been much nicer (and truer to
                    reality) to have a positive news story on the real success story of
                    the cycling renaissance that has occurred in London in recent years,
                    but I guess that doesn't make for great prime-time TV.

                    I thought the depiction of police in the City stopping red light
                    jumpers was fair enough, and we had not one, but two quotes from
                    Lambeth's very own Susan Bewley on the occasion of the red light
                    leafletting campaign last year that Lambeth Cyclists supported.

                    One of the interesting quotes was of one of the 'school run' mothers
                    protesting at Camden Town Hall who asked, quite fairly, if the school
                    run causes 50% of congestion, why aren't the other 50% also
                    targetted, and suggested that most of those are men commuting or
                    delivering, but they as women taking kids to school were soft targets.

                    Maybe. The 'Cycling for Women' action-research project undertaken
                    with Lambeth Cyclists (and in Camden) a couple of years ago certainly
                    suggested that women tend to have more complex journeys than men.
                    More women tend to take kids to school, go shopping, make visits,
                    etc., whereas more men tend to make a straight A to B commuting
                    journey. Of course the purpose of that project was to promote the
                    idea that women could make these journeys by bike, but I don't think
                    the school-run mums in the film would have been very receptive to
                    that idea, yet.

                    Quote of the programme though has to be the 4x4 driver who said he
                    didn't want his 7-year old walking the 2 miles to school because of
                    all those other lorry, white van, and 4x4 drivers... obviously he
                    considered himself an exceptionally gifted 4x4 driver.

                    Not sure if the programme can be viewed on-line like BBC Radio. If
                    anyone knows in answer to Rebecca's query let us know.

                    Happy New Year all!

                    Philip

                    Doctors.net.uk education: Totally independent, totally free.HYPERLINK
                    "http://www.doctors.net.uk/education"http://www.doctors.net.uk/education

                    Click HYPERLINK
                    "https://www.mailcontrol.com/sr/6AexbgPkkhMq05VhZhaUBhLjT1k0MhgSmHa5xmRo
                    OAAiwntiSY1pOpU0n8xuokBjlIAf!tLo0lmatzujE5ZVAR5+blsQXWTUuAPLTWRbg5B54mZd
                    DAtRw+bgFoeo50Ai8FaXSaoETKJtwmdwVPmWgsDYEAEJ8FlZulqStAwa5pJyGp8vyNg7AYdl
                    n8k0AQlu3oTB4Qyp03gAV6OAuzMPd2vOCwpikgbX"here to report this email as
                    spam.

                    Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                    07/01/2008 09:14

                    Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                    08/01/2008 13:38

                  • Vivian McClew
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 9, 2008
                      Well, there is some sort of "war", which is mainly caused by people's
                      misinformation, about taxes and rights, etc. It doesn't mean it's
                      legitimate, though.

                      Overall, I thought the program was very good, the only criticism from
                      me would be that they started off showing Critical Mass, thus putting
                      the non-cyclist viewer in an anti-cycling mind frame straight away.
                      Cheeky plot!

                      The saddest thing I saw on that program was the poor old man that had
                      to take a bus to cross the road to go to his church! Unbelievable.

                      Inspiring: the professional female cyclist (can't remember the name)
                      who had that horrendous accident and was left almost paralized and
                      having to learn to walk again, and then 6 months later winning bronze
                      medal at the Commonwealth Games. I will never EVER complain about back
                      pain again, I promise (though I've been off the bike because of it...!).

                      For me, the final commments by the main three intervewees summed up the
                      different attitudes of road users: while the CTC and safer streets guys
                      (sorry, my memory for names is appalling! Should have written them
                      down), talked about educating, sharing the road, we are all pedestrians
                      before anything else, the motorist from the Daily Telegraph went on to
                      paint a future of tribal behavour and confrontation on the roads. For
                      me, that summed up why are we in such a mess, and who are the ones
                      talking about "war".

                      I think the BBC did a good job on this one.

                      --- In Lambeth_Cyclists@yahoogroups.com, "Charlie Holland"
                      <charlie@...> wrote:

                      [snipped]

                      > There are no legitimate grounds for "a war being sparked" yet you
                      > implied there are. Shame on you.

                    • Oliver Schick
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 9, 2008
                        Vivian McClew wrote:
                        > The saddest thing I saw on that program was the poor old man that had
                        > to take a bus to cross the road to go to his church! Unbelievable.

                        To me the saddest thing by far were the two deaths presented at length in the
                        programme, and the grief of a mother and a husband.

                        By the way, the unreachable building in question was in fact a synagogue.

                        Oliver.
                      • Paddy Kelly
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 10, 2008
                          Does anyone know where this programme can be viewed online (it's not
                          available on the BBC iPlayer) or if it will be repeated, unfortunately I
                          missed the initial screening.
                          Many thanks
                          Patrick

                          _____

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 10, 2008
                            I�ve searched the BBC website, written to them and even sent a complaint
                            about the impossibility of answering this question/ negotiating the
                            website but I only got an automated useless email reply. Very cross.

                            Susan

                            From: HYPERLINK
                            "mailto:Lambeth_Cyclists%40yahoogroups.com"Lambeth_Cyclists@yahoogroups.
                            com
                            > The saddest thing I saw on that program was the poor old man that had
                            > to take a bus to cross the road to go to his church! Unbelievable.

                            To me the saddest thing by far were the two deaths presented at length
                            in
                            the
                            programme, and the grief of a mother and a husband.

                            By the way, the unreachable building in question was in fact a
                            synagogue.

                            Oliver.

                            Doctors.net.uk education: Totally independent, totally free.HYPERLINK
                            "http://www.doctors.net.uk/education"http://www.doctors.net.uk/education

                            Click HYPERLINK
                            "https://www.mailcontrol.com/sr/Qwb6qUOJowLTrAt2J!XFkDM3I6O!7tOBDYMkA4+S
                            kKUnPya17WtGfgwpPlXJHZoJLhg1AkkXMOshNZWwd5z441To4+Ja0S!FFmzpcfT5aFm3TvF2
                            JBtXurDOuUZBX!643WS8kTZHPnIPGlrGE739I37DmEwqMwqWlnJUmLiGkAQgsuQuYkRO8MPo
                            rTQa29uaYJZoO71ISiWU67oEb6Bm5vCrfFdF+!Tx"here to report this email as
                            spam.

                            Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                            09/01/2008 10:16

                            Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                            09/01/2008 10:16

                          • Haselden,Nigel Cllr
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 11, 2008
                              London Borough of Lambeth: our disclaimer is at the end of this e-mail.

                              You can view the programme on www.tvcatchup.com/watch/17069 You sign in
                              for free and enter road rage in the search box.

                              Nigel

                              From: HYPERLINK
                              "mailto:Lambeth_Cyclists%40yahoogroups.com"Lambeth_Cyclists@yahoogroups.
                              com
                              > The saddest thing I saw on that program was the poor old man that had
                              > to take a bus to cross the road to go to his church! Unbelievable.

                              To me the saddest thing by far were the two deaths presented at length
                              in
                              the
                              programme, and the grief of a mother and a husband.

                              By the way, the unreachable building in question was in fact a
                              synagogue.

                              Oliver.

                              Doctors.net.uk education: Totally independent, totally free.HYPERLINK
                              "http://www.doctors.net.uk/education"http://www.doctors.net.uk/education

                              Click HYPERLINK
                              "https://www.mailcontrol.com/sr/Qwb6qUOJowLTrAt2J!XFkDM3I6O!7tOBDYMkA4+S
                              kKUnPya17WtGfgwpPlXJHZoJLhg1AkkXMOshNZWwd5z441To4+Ja0S!FFmzpcfT5aFm3TvF2
                              JBtXurDOuUZBX!643WS8kTZHPnIPGlrGE739I37DmEwqMwqWlnJUmLiGkAQgsuQuYkRO8MPo
                              rTQa29uaYJZoO71ISiWU67oEb6Bm5vCrfFdF+!Tx"here to report this email as
                              spam.

                              Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                              09/01/2008 10:16

                              Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                              09/01/2008 10:16

                              Too many e-mails? Don't leave! Advice here:
                              http://www.lcc.org.uk/index.asp?PageID=525

                              Lambeth Cyclists are a branch of the London Cycling Campaign.
                              http://www.lambethcyclists.org.uk
                              http://www.lcc.org.uk/

                              Email: lambeth_cyclists@...

                              Yahoo! Groups Links

                              This email and any attachments are private and intended solely for the individual or entity to which they are addressed.
                              If you are not the intended recipient please destroy all copies and inform the sender by return e-mail.

                              Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Lambeth Council.
                            • Jon Creighton
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 11, 2008
                                I watched it last night on the www.tvcatchup.com site, which was much easier
                                to use than the BBC equivalent and the quality of the video is better. You
                                have to register but it's an easy process.

                                I thought it was a very interesting programme and they managed to show both
                                sides of either cases pretty fairly. Of course they emphasized the
                                conflicts in the situations and played things up a lot with the voice-over
                                and the music, but that is to be expected in a TV current affairs show. The
                                only people that came off as unapologetic hypocrites were the 4WD-driving
                                school run types.

                                You presented your case very well Susan, and I liked Roger's comment about
                                cyclists running red lights which was articulate as always:

                                "Cyclists that crash through pedestrians crossing the road, that shames me.
                                But I have to say when I see that happening I don't think 'Oh my goodness
                                there's a cyclist.' I think 'There is an anti-social human being.' And I'm
                                just glad they aren't behind the wheels of a very fast car or a lorry."

                                Excellent.

                                Jon

                                > On Jan 10, 2008 7:55 PM, Susan Bewley < sbewley@...> wrote:
                                >
                                > > I've searched the BBC website, written to them and even sent a complaint
                                > >
                                > > about the impossibility of answering this question/ negotiating the
                                > > website but I only got an automated useless email reply. Very cross.
                                > >
                                > > Susan

                              • Philip Loy
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 14, 2008
                                  Dear All

                                  As an update regarding the enforcement initiative by City Police that
                                  was circulated to this group on 5th January, here's an update from
                                  the Southwark Cyclists Yahoo group.

                                  For those who cycle to or have a cycling interest in the City, it
                                  appears there will be a Forum specifically on enforcement
                                  issues 'witin the next six weeks'.

                                  I'll keep an eye out for announcements, or you can e-mail the contact
                                  given on the City Police website.

                                  Regards
                                  Philip

                                  Jan 14, 2008

                                  Fwd: City of London - Road Safety Forum

                                  I thought some people might be interested in the attached email I
                                  received from city police. It was in response to this letter I
                                  recently sent them after hearing about their high profile campaign to
                                  target redlight jumpers and reading their info about it on their
                                  website:

                                  http://www.cityoflondon.police.uk/CityPolice/Media/News/safercycling.h
                                  tm
                                  [OR see link for 3 January 2008 in below if above link breaks]
                                  http://www.cityoflondon.police.uk/CityPolice/Media/News/

                                  "I was initially very happy to see the city police taking up the
                                  issue of safety for all road users and mounting a campaign
                                  recognising the safety of cyclists and pedestrians as equally
                                  important road users rather than adhering to the usual "implement
                                  road safety rules only insofar as they don't interfere with the
                                  smooth running of motorised traffic" approach. However, as I read
                                  the blurb on the website, my optimism turned to disappointment and
                                  cynicism- actually you are just reiterating the same old moral panic
                                  anti cycling propaganda. For example, quoting from your web page on
                                  the safer cycling initiative:

                                  "The two main offences identified around cycle safety are cyclists
                                  contravening red traffic signals, and cycling on the footpath."

                                  I am not saying that some, perhaps many, cyclists do not commit these
                                  offences, nor even that the city police should ignore them. I
                                  myself, 30 years cycling in the city, am irritated by them also.
                                  These people are very annoying and to some, especially the elderly
                                  and vulnerable, upsetting and disturbing, but very, very, rarely do
                                  they contribute to the road traffic casualties statistics.

                                  To imply that these offences are a major threat to the overall safety
                                  of the majority of road users is, in my opinion, ridiculous, and to
                                  make it such a highly visible priority for policing, a waste of money
                                  and resources that could be used policing other traffic law
                                  violations which have a far greater impact on road casualty
                                  figures. How many people have been seriously injured or killed by a
                                  cyclist committing such a misdeameanour?

                                  I am not belittling the pain and suffering of those very, very few
                                  individuals or their families, and, of course, I'd want any cyclist
                                  who hurt anybody by this behaviour punished, but come on, city
                                  police. I've read your road traffic safety plans for the last few
                                  years and know that you (seem to) regard as key the 40% reduction in
                                  road traffic casualties among vulnerable road users recommended by
                                  the government. Do you really think you are going to make even a
                                  tiny dent in these figures by spending excessive time and money on
                                  cyclists who jump red lights and ride on pavements. Wake up and
                                  smell the exhaust fumes.

                                  Yours
                                  Jane Davis

                                  Note: forwarded message attached.

                                  Mon Jan 14, 2008

                                  Thank you for your email, responding to the City of London Police
                                  Road Safety Campaign which we ran again last week. We have had an
                                  unprecedented number of e-mails regarding this important issue and as
                                  a result recognise that there would be some merit in holding a Road
                                  Safety Forum to discuss and debate some of the issues raised. As you
                                  took the time to contact us in relation to this we would like to
                                  invite you along to the forum.

                                  We are planning to host this event at Snow Hill Police Station, 5
                                  Snow Hill, EC1A 2DP, within the next six weeks. The Road Safety
                                  Forum aims to look at a wide range of safety issues, using speakers
                                  from both the City of London Corporation and Police. This will give
                                  everyone an opportunity to debate issues in open forum.

                                  Unfortunately I am unable to respond directly to your query at this
                                  time, however, I hope that you will be able to attend the forum and
                                  present your view. Obviously we are working to ensure everyone's
                                  safety on the road and the forum will offer everyone an opportunity
                                  to give their opinion and learn from each other.

                                  I will contact you again once we have made arrangements for the
                                  forum. Thank you again for your comments.

                                  Kind Regards,
                                  Nathan Burrough

                                  PC960 BURROUGH
                                  City of London Police
                                  Snow Hill Division
                                  London EC1A 2DP
                                  Tel 020 7601 2406
                                  Fax 020 7601 2460

                                  P Please consider the environment before printing my email

                                  City of London Police

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jan 23, 2008
                                    Ah, here's that update, from Southwark Cyclists Yahoo group. Note you
                                    have to book and it's first come, etc.

                                    Philip