Rear light recommendations - all responses were appreciated

  • Rebecca Lack
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 1 7:27 AM
      Thanks to **all** who responded.

      I didn't feel I could go through my bike part by part explaining why I have ruled out using the rack , the forks, the stays, etc, so posted saying what I have - over many many years of riding - found to work for me, ie using the back of my Sam Browne.

      I feel **all** replies were valid as they opened out the debate and may be useful to other cyclists. For example, they enabled Mark HPC to give us the benefit of his experience regarding one system, Ross Corben to introduce the idea of using a rack for lights and someone (apols I can't recall who) to mention how good Maplin is for rechargeable batteries.

      I will take a list of the suggestions to a bike shop tomorrow and see what I can actually find. (It seems to me that the choice of accessories, including locks, gets ever smaller as the bike shops seem only to stock the same ranges.)

      Thanks again to those who took the trouble to reply.

      Rebecca

      Celeb spotting – Play CelebMashup and win cool prizes
      https://www.celebmashup.com
    • Philip Loy
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 1 3:50 PM
        --- In Lambeth_Cyclists@yahoogroups.com, Rebecca Lack
        <shockingpinkbike@...> wrote:

        > Thanks to **all** who responded.

        So here's a message from Rob in case it's of any use. Rob owns the
        London Bicycle Tour Co bike hire shop on Gabriels Wharf, South Bank.
        There's also an associated bike shop which I've found handy and
        reasonably priced, just off The Cut on Hatfields

        Philip

        -----

        > It's a good time of year to talk about lights. There are many
        good products on the market, I still believe cat eye are the most
        expensive product around, having said that there were a few lights
        on show at the cycle exhibition, that came in at about £300 for one
        LED.

        Another good company is Smart they do some interesting products, i.e.
        charging up using your computer. There is a range under the brand
        name Torch which seem to be copies of Smart, but very good value.
        They do an oval five LED one (I think) with batteries and bracket for
        under a tenner.

        The reason I mention this one is that it would be ideal for putting
        on a Sam Brown belt. I can tell you the lights that are flying off
        the shelf at the moment at our place are, Knog LED lights, because
        they address the problem, when your bicycle is stolen you are left
        with a light with no bracket. These little babies are made in a
        flexible plastic casing, and you attach them to the bicycle all in
        one piece. so bracket and light is together. And of course you can't
        beat the good old dynamo set for sheer eco-power. Generally quite an
        investment by the time they have been fitted but they will go on for
        years and years.

        I note from the discussion so far, the larger companies ie Argos and
        Maplin seem to be getting all the business. Now the winters coming,
        your local cycle shop would love to see you. And please remember a
        cycle shop is not just for Christmas.

        All the best Rob.
      • Ross Corben
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 10 8:34 AM
          >>My Vistalite 300 (rear LED light) that I have had for several years has been dropped once too often and I can't repair the plastic front any more.
          But what can I replace it with?
          I want a very bright rear LED light. There is no space to attach anything onto the seatpost, so lights have to clip **securely** to my Sam Browne belt.
          Ideally the new light would use AA batteries as I have loads of these.
          Suggestions?<<

          >Argos do cheap lights - dont know how brigth they compare
          Personally I'm amazed how many communting cyclists in London dont have racks - so useful for attaching things to as well as panniers
          I use a dynamo at present but I see Maplin do 900mAh AAA and 2200mAh AA rechargeables for £10 per 10 pack - entirely reasonable<

          Unfortunately my new Blackburn MARS rear light and QUADRANT front lights only seem to take 1.5V batteries, so my 1.2V rechargeables wont work
          It says Super Bright on the lights packaging. At least batteries can be recycled these days. All batteries?
          The cheap ones from Argos seem happy on 1.2V rechargeables though

        • m.cushman@lse.ac.uk
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 10 9:14 AM
            Where do you recycle batteries?

            I am not sure you can however there are rare places where you can take batteries for safe disposal. Does anyone know of places in/near Lambeth?

            Mike

            >>My Vistalite 300 (rear LED light) that I have had for several years has been dropped once too often and I can't repair the plastic front any more.
            But what can I replace it with?
            I want a very bright rear LED light. There is no space to attach anything onto the seatpost, so lights have to clip **securely** to my Sam Browne belt.
            Ideally the new light would use AA batteries as I have loads of these.
            Suggestions?<<

            >Argos do cheap lights - dont know how brigth they compare
            Personally I'm amazed how many communting cyclists in London dont have racks - so useful for attaching things to as well as panniers I use a dynamo at present but I see Maplin do 900mAh AAA and 2200mAh AA rechargeables for £10 per 10 pack - entirely reasonable<

            Unfortunately my new Blackburn MARS rear light and QUADRANT front lights only seem to take 1.5V batteries, so my 1.2V rechargeables wont work It says Super Bright on the lights packaging. At least batteries can be recycled these days. All batteries?
            The cheap ones from Argos seem happy on 1.2V rechargeables though

            Too many e-mails? Don't leave! Advice here:
            http://www.lcc.org.uk/index.asp?PageID=525

            Lambeth Cyclists are a branch of the London Cycling Campaign.
            http://www.lambethcyclists.org.uk
            http://www.lcc.org.uk/

            Email: lambeth_cyclists@...

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Ross Corben
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 10 10:02 AM
              http://www.recyclenow.com/what_more_can_i_do/can_it_be_recycled/batteries.html
              a colleague at work tells me she tkes them to a special bin at Sainsbury's, somewhere in Bromley?
              I've seen battery drop-off containers on the counter at Currys

              actually, it's only the QUADRANT front light that seems to be picky (takes AA), the MARS back light (which DOES have a belt clip or you can bolt it onto the bike) works on AAA rechargables. both have a variety of flashing/constant

              I am not sure you can however there are rare places where you can take batteries for safe disposal. Does anyone know of places in/near Lambeth?

              Mike

              >>My Vistalite 300 (rear LED light) that I have had for several years has been dropped once too often and I can't repair the plastic front any more.
              But what can I replace it with?
              I want a very bright rear LED light. There is no space to attach anything onto the seatpost, so lights have to clip **securely** to my Sam Browne belt.
              Ideally the new light would use AA batteries as I have loads of these.
              Suggestions?<<

              >Argos do cheap lights - dont know how brigth they compare
              Personally I'm amazed how many communting cyclists in London dont have racks - so useful for attaching things to as well as panniers I use a dynamo at present but I see Maplin do 900mAh AAA and 2200mAh AA rechargeables for £10 per 10 pack - entirely reasonable<

              Unfortunately my new Blackburn MARS rear light and QUADRANT front lights only seem to take 1.5V batteries, so my 1.2V rechargeables wont work It says Super Bright on the lights packaging. At least batteries can be recycled these days. All batteries?
              The cheap ones from Argos seem happy on 1.2V rechargeables though

              Too many e-mails? Don't leave! Advice here:
              http://www.lcc.org.uk/index.asp?PageID=525

              Lambeth Cyclists are a branch of the London Cycling Campaign.
              http://www.lambethcyclists.org.uk
              http://www.lcc.org.uk/

              Email: lambeth_cyclists@...

              Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Joan Sherriff
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 10 4:50 PM
                Wandsworth libraries all have places for recycling small batteries.

                a colleague at work tells me she tkes them to a special bin at Sainsbury's, somewhere in Bromley?
                I've seen battery drop-off containers on the counter at Currys

                actually, it's only the QUADRANT front light that seems to be picky (takes AA), the MARS back light (which DOES have a belt clip or you can bolt it onto the bike) works on AAA rechargables. both have a variety of flashing/constant

                I am not sure you can however there are rare places where you can take batteries for safe disposal. Does anyone know of places in/near Lambeth?

                Mike

                >>My Vistalite 300 (rear LED light) that I have had for several years has been dropped once too often and I can't repair the plastic front any more.
                But what can I replace it with?
                I want a very bright rear LED light. There is no space to attach anything onto the seatpost, so lights have to clip **securely** to my Sam Browne belt.
                Ideally the new light would use AA batteries as I have loads of these.
                Suggestions? <<

                >Argos do cheap lights - dont know how brigth they compare
                Personally I'm amazed how many communting cyclists in London dont have racks - so useful for attaching things to as well as panniers I use a dynamo at present but I see Maplin do 900mAh AAA and 2200mAh AA rechargeables for £10 per 10 pack - entirely reasonable<

                Unfortunately my new Blackburn MARS rear light and QUADRANT front lights only seem to take 1.5V batteries, so my 1.2V rechargeables wont work It says Super Bright on the lights packaging. At least batteries can be recycled these days. All batteries?
                The cheap ones from Argos seem happy on 1.2V rechargeables though

                Too many e-mails? Don't leave! Advice here:
                http://www.lcc org.uk/index. asp?PageID= 525

                Lambeth Cyclists are a branch of the London Cycling Campaign.
                http://www.lambethc yclists.org. uk
                http://www.lcc org.uk/

                Email: lambeth_cyclists@ hotmail.com

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                Please access the attached hyperlink for an important electronic communications disclaimer: http://www.lse ac.uk/collection s/secretariat/ legal/disclaimer .htm

                Checked by AVG Free Edition.

              • Ross Corben
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 21 1:59 PM
                  as if by magic:
                  Win a free back light (and a personalised bike safety course)
                  http://trc1.emv2.com/I?a=A9X7CqkzsnRu8TrV_6MlXGTjZA
                  Rymans do battery recycling too, but they're a bit pricey maybe

                  are all rechargeable AA's 1.2V?