Offpeak timing warning: Stamford St/Blackfriars Road lights norhtbound

  • Rebecca Lack
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 2, 2007
      Hi there

      I re-emailed TfL after a second experience of finding myself crossing the
      sliproad onto Blackfriars Bridge at the same traffic on it was released.
      (This time it was just one vehicle and the occiupant did not engage in any
      intimidating behaviour.)

      The TfL rep I emailed CC-ed me in on his second mail to the person he has
      asked to look into it.

      "I have taken a look at the operation of the junction and in the off-peak
      there does appear to be a
      problem with clearance times. I watched a cyclist, on one of those small
      wheeled fold up commuter bikes. He was waiting at the northbound stop
      line on Blackfriars Road and when given the green had only just arrived
      at the slip road when the slip road signals turned green to traffic. His
      pace was not that fast I must admit, barely above walking speed, but it
      would seem that some timing problem may have arisen.

      I am not aware that there has been a problem here in the past regarding
      the clearance on this arm, as I say it may be related to the off-peak
      signal plan rather than peak hours. It would be useful if you could take
      a look at the timings and consider if any adjustments are needed."

      So, if you ride north at offpeak times (my two problematic experiences were
      on Saturdays, not on Thursdays when I make the same journey) and are a
      slower cyclist or there is a particularly strong headwind (like the last few
      days) be aware that if you cross the lights at the southern end of the
      junction with Stamford Street and Blackfriars at the end of the phase (even
      if they are green as you cross) you may find yourself encountering traffic
      released from the slip road.

      Rebecca

      >From: "Rebecca Lack" <shockingpinkbike@...>
      >To: southwarkcyclists@yahoogroups.com, Lambeth_Cyclists@yahoogroups.com
      >CC: rebeccalack@...
      >Subject: [S.Cyclists] Stamford St/Blackfriars Road light timings
      >Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 14:08:29 +0000
      >
      >Hi
      >
      >I sent the email below to TfL on Saturday.
      >
      >Has anyone else had this happen to them at this point? Can anyone shed any
      >light on why it might happen?
      >
      >Please reply to me offlist [rebeccalack@...] unless you think it is
      >of relevance to other SC or LC list members.
      >
      >Rebecca
      >
      >At around 13.00 today (Saturday 10 February 07) my partner and I were
      >cycling north along Blackfriars Road. When we crossed the junction of
      >Stamford Street, the lights (for us) were green. As we cycled north
      >across the exit that takes traffic from Stamford Street to Blackfriars
      >bridge, all the traffic from that exit started moving, at speed and
      >straight for us.
      >
      >There was a great deal of hooting (presumably at us though it was
      >daylight with excellent visibility and I wear a reflective jerkin over
      >my black top). One of the lead cars overtook us on the righthand side
      >and slowed down. The driver (a woman) shouted through the open passenger
      >window that we were very lucky that she hadn't run us over. The man on
      >the passenger side spat at my partner.
      >
      >I reiterate, the lights we crossed were green. Please can you check the
      >timings on this crossing as this was a very frightening and unpleasant
      >experience. We were not laden and we were not chatting so I would
      >estimate our speed to be between 8 and 10mph.

      >To visit the South Cyclists yahoo site to view message archive, change your
      >mailing preferences, etc: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southwarkcyclists
      >
      >Also visit Southwark Cyclists' own website: www.southwarkcyclists.org.uk
      >
      >Yahoo! Groups Links

      Solve the Conspiracy and win fantastic prizes!
      http://www.theconspiracygame.co.uk/
    • Arnottdavies
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 3, 2007
        I am doing that route most days now and will keep a look out
        Jon.
> [...]

        >my black top). One of the lead cars overtook us on the righthand side
        >and slowed down. The driver (a woman) shouted through the open passenger
        >window that we were very lucky that she hadn't run us over. The man on
        >the passenger side spat at my partner.
        >
        >I reiterate, the lights we crossed were green. Please can you check the
        >timings on this crossing as this was a very frightening and unpleasant
        >experience. We were not laden and we were not chatting so I would
        >estimate our speed to be between 8 and 10mph.

        >To visit the South Cyclists yahoo site to view message archive, change your
        >mailing preferences, etc: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southwarkcyclists
        >
        >Also visit Southwark Cyclists' own website: www.southwarkcyclists.org.uk
        >
        >Yahoo! Groups Links

        Solve the Conspiracy and win fantastic prizes!

        Too many e-mails? Don't leave! Try one of the following:

        * Create a folder in your inbox and set up a rule for e-mails with
        [Lambeth_Cyclists] in the subject title, which you can then read at leisure.

        * Set your Yahoo group subscription for either:

        - A daily digest of one e-mail containing all the day's messages, or

        - Read messages on the website only without receiving e-mails.

        just ask us to change the setting for you if you're not sure how to do this.

        * Simply let us know if you only want 'official' announcements of Lambeth
        Cyclists as e-mails (e.g. for meetings, events, rides, and other campaign
        information) without the discussion.

        Email: lambeth_cyclists@...

        Lambeth Cyclists http://www.lambethcyclists.org.uk/ are the local borough
        group affiliated to the London Cycling Campaign: http://www.lcc.org.uk/