Updating of London Cycle Guide routes

  • Lambeth Cyclists
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2006
      Hi Folks

      Some of you may use the Transport for London Cycle Guides, the series of 19
      maps covering greater London. The ones that cover Lambeth are nos 10, 14 and
      15.

      TfL are looking to issue a 3rd edition of these maps, and are seeking input
      from Boroughs and also LCC. As you see below, this needs to be done fairly
      quickly. (The second e-mail below was for Boroughs but may be useful as
      background.)

      Given the timescales, a good way to kick this process off (and get as much
      feedback as we can) is to get comments from people on this list who may have
      observations about the accuracy of these maps. If you do have any
      observations or recommendations, please reply to this e-mail, i.e.

      lambeth_cyclists@...

      and not to the Yahoo group, unless of course there is a general point you
      wish to raise.

      LCC are looking to send a response by 20th November, so how about Monday
      13th Nov for your replies? That gives a week and a half from now, and a few
      days for LCC to collate the information.

      Thanks very much for any help.

      Philip Loy
      Coordinator for Lambeth Cyclists
      http://www.lambethcyclists.org.uk/

      From: Natarajan Veena (ST)
      Subject: Updating of London Cycle Guide routes

      Hello all,

      TfL is updating the cycle route data shown on the London Cycle Guides and
      TfL Journey Planner, with a view to publishing a 3rd edition of the guides
      in the Spring of 2007. Martin Whitfield and his team at Cycle City Guides
      have been commissioned by TfL to undertake this work which will include a
      comprehensive review (by cycle) of the routes and an audit of existing
      facilities. In particular Martin will be checking the continuity between on
      (blue and yellow) and off (green and brown) road routes.

      He will also be considering additional routes

      a) where there are presently discontinuities or

      b) through areas that are very poorly served by the cycle network.

      The information will be recorded electronically. This work is already
      underway and is programmed for completion in early January.

      There are two aspects of this work for which I would appreciate your
      assistance:

      * Errors ie routes shown where cycling is either not permitted or not
      recommended

      * Routes, not presently shown, that have been improved, since the network
      was last reviewed AND which you would now recommend cyclists to use.

      Actions

      1. Please respond even if it is to confirm that your borough has no changes
      to make.

      Please note:

      i) For all London Boroughs a response is mandatory.

      ii) CCE (and borough partners) MUST demonstrate that all reasonable steps
      have been taken to ensure that the guides (and TfL Journey Planner)

      - only promote routes where cycling is recommended and
      - do not promote routes where cycling is not permitted

      iii) Before you respond, you may wish to liaise with collegues eg Public
      Rights of Way Officers and with LCC or local cycling representatives. This
      is a good way to show that you have taken reasonable steps to ensure that
      the information is correct and to demonstrate an on-going user focused
      quality control process that complies with LIP requirements.

      iv) For LCN+ routes, there is no need for boroughs to respond individually

      2. If you do wish to recommend changes, please mark up deletions or
      additions on the appropriate London Cycle Guide and if possible provide full
      GIS grid references. Return annotated maps and any supporting documentation
      to reach Veena Natarajan at CCE (see below) 3rd Floor Parnell House, Wilton
      Road, London SW1V ILW no later than 20th November.

      Finally, it would be helpful if you would confirm receipt of this email
      giving an indication as to whether you will be able to confirm the legal
      status of all routes shown on the guides in your area and when you expect to
      be in a position to provide a substantive response.

      If you have any queries on this request, Veena can be reached by email or
      phone (see contact details below)

      Kind regards

      Rose

      _______________________________________
      Rose Ades
      Head of Cycling Centre of Excellence
      TfL Surface Transport

      Dr N. Veena
      Business and Research Manager,
      Cycling Centre of Excellence,
      Transport for London
      3rd Floor, Parnell House,
      25 Wilton Road, London SW1V 1LW

      The contents of the e-mail and any transmitted files are confidential
      are addressed. Transport for London Street Management hereby excludes
      any warranty and any liability as to the quality or accuracy of the
      contents of this e-mail and any attached transmitted files. If you are
      not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this
      e-mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or
      copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited.

      If you have received this e-mail in error please notify
      postmaster@....

      This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept for
      the presence of computer viruses.

      Download the new Windows Live Toolbar, including Desktop search!
      http://toolbar.live.com/?mkt=en-gb
    • cjames127
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 6, 2006
        Philip, one key new route to include is the new cycle path linking
        LCN route 5 at the junction of cavendish and emanuel roads with
        Bedford hill via tooting common, it then continues across Bedford
        hill via the other segment of the common to Tooting Bec road at the
        junction of Dr Johnson avenue

        thanks
        Chris

        --- In Lambeth_Cyclists@yahoogroups.com, "Lambeth Cyclists"