1112Clarification of tengwar shapes

  • Arden R. Smith
    Aug 18, 2011
      In our discussions about the tengwar at Omentielva Cantea this past
      weekend, some questions about the shapes of certain Feanorian
      characters arose. I'd like to address a couple of those questions.

      The Feanorian zero: In the manuscripts upon which the presentations
      in _Quettar_ 13 and 14 were based, the zero clearly has the shape of a
      backwards c. It should not look like the right half of a heart, as
      Christopher Tolkien has generally written it.

      The tengwa /y/ in the Mode of Beleriand: All the unpublished tables
      of that mode agree that the loop of the letter should in fact be
      *closed*. This being the case, it should not be regarded as an
      alternative usage of _silme nuquerna_, but rather as an entirely
      different tengwa.

      Arden R. Smith erilaz@...

      Perilme metto aimaktur perperienta.
      --Elvish proverb