On Marketing the Time Yarns Universe

  • nerthuscat
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2011
      The Time Yarns universe is a shared world fiction universe, but it's also a marketing concept. I have a track record, as the editor of publisher of Berserkrgangr Magazine, which was a literary magazine that published contemporary otherworlds stories in the early 90s, of publishing the leading edge of new trends in science fiction. I envision Time Yarns as its own imprint, in effect a small publishing house, that puts authors in front of the latest parade, which is the anthology as a replacement for the print magazine, and starting a brand new parade in the next logical evolution of the book series concept, which will be the net-based book-video-artifact shared world, in which any fan could become the next official author, a concept which speaks to the next generations' expectations of ever greater interactivity in their entertainment, and which provides a professional outlet for a genre heretofore dominated by fan fiction. One of the ways I'm marketing that is by focusing on the impressive credentials of the writers who are already part of the Time Yarns team, which both serves to celebritize their names and generate interest in their other books, and to entice new authors to want to be like them and write for this universe.

      Creating physical artifacts for the universe, such as the Tsim Knight badge you can see in the Photos section of this site, is part of the book-video-artifact culture I'm creating. It's the sort of thing someone could wear at an sf con and meet other fans of the universe. I'm also planning a universe trailer-- like a movie trailer-- to promote the universe at sf conventions and local art movie houses like the Sci Fi Center's screening room here in Las Vegas.