Re: [Ladyfest Texas] Next LFTX meeting - Reminder

  • Anna Giuliani
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 2, 2003
      Ladyfest Texas Meeting

      Wednesday September 3, 2003
      7:30 pm - 8:30 pm
      Event Location: Austin Java Company
      Street: 1206 Parkway
      City, State, Zip: Austin, TX

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • Anna Giuliani
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 4, 2003

        Ladyfest Texas Meeting Minutes

        09/03/03

        Agenda:

        -Collective List Serve

        -Logo contest

        -Beneficiaries

        -501 c 3 status

        -Venues: Film ( Alamo , Paramount ), Music (La Zona Rosa, etc�)

        -Benefit: Sept and Oct

        -Fundraising

        -GenAustin

        -Website/webmail issues

        -Club Skirt DJ for Nov

        -Race For the Cure team

        -Visual Arts

        -Others tabling at our benefits

        -First Thursday

        -Heather�s Going Away Party

        Collective List Serve

        -We need to get all new folks who want to be on the collective signed up for the list serve asap. Erin : could you let Beth know who those people are so she can do so?

        Website/Webmail:

        -Beth to send info on how to make changes to the website to Anna and Lacey (already done at this point); Beth to look into alternate systems for email since the one we have sucks so bad

        GenAustin

        -Anita wants more involvement in Ladyfest (and vice versa). Ideas include a �youth committee� of teenage girls for Ladyfest, we go to their meetings and they come to ours, participation in CD (Heather will email list serve with info), combining fundraising efforts, us giving them more than 50% of profits or becoming a sole beneficiary.

        -It�s decided (for now) that we will look into: having teenage girls flyer for us and be a street team of sorts, actively seek younger bands, have a girl�s art show, volunteer for GenAustin events to help them out�as a way of developing a closer relationship with GenAustin.  We decided that they will not be a sole beneficiary or receive more than 50% or our profits from the festival.  Fundraising with them will most likely be problematic as they get money from much bigger, more �corporate� sponsors than we are interested in.

        -Anyone interested in being a GenAustin liason, their meeting at the first Tuesday of the month 11:30 to 1:30 at El Arroyo.

        -Check on the GenAustin calendar for events you�d like to attend or participate in

        Fundraising

        -�Corporate� sponsorship/donations: We need to change our sponsorship materials to reflect that we want to give donors far less than last year (i.e no logos anywhere).  We will give away passes (one for every $100 donated), t shirts, thank you in the program and links on the webpage as incentives.

        Beneficiaries

        -Please bring your ideas for beneficiaries to the next meeting

        -Lilith Fund: gives low income women $ for abortions

        -TARAL- Texas Abortion Rights Action League

        Venues

        - Paramount

        Pros: good acoustics, non profit organization, we have it all day, we can have a variety of film, spoken word, fashion show, marquee

        Cons: Higher cost, they will take 20% of gross merch sales (this may be negotiated. We are ok with Ladyfest merch but now them taking from band merch sales), 25% deposit required

        Estimated cost: 8am to midnight : $1950 (including PA-$250, clean up-$175) + other costs may apply (see pricing sheet for details)

        - Alamo

        Pros: Neat place, less expensive ( 2-6pm : $1404 including everything), professional projectionist, no deposit

        Cons: Smaller seating capacity

        -Most agreed that the Paramount was the better choice IF the merch thing can be negotiated.

        Scheduling:

        -We could have a combination of poppy, quieter, and singer-songwritery bands, spoken word, and film all day at the Paramount . The night before could be the more �rock and roll� portion of the festival. Lacey will talk to the Mercury about this.  We want to get two band �headliners� for Friday and Saturday.  Sarah suggested we look into getting a draw for each portion of Ladyfest (not just bands).  This leaves the question open for workshops. Will they be on Sunday and Monday (Memorial Day)?

        Benefits:

        -Suggestion for a Workshops Benefit: have workshops (knitting, yoga, silkscreening, more popular ones) to raise money

        -Lacey will work on getting third band for Sept benefit

        -Club Skirt: Beth will contact DJ Katherine about doing Nov Club Skirt

        -The Sept benefit will be at the Ritz

        -Lacey to talk to Vortex about October benefit

        -October bands????

        Heather�s Going Away party

        -Wed. Sept 10th, if OK with Heather

        -Either at: Anna�s house, Karaoke bar, or the Showdown (or somewhere else) � it�s up to Heather!

        Race For the Cure

        -10 people need to sign up for a team

        -Anyone interested contact Beth

        -It�s Sunday Nov. 2nd, early!

        Visual Arts

        -Gallery Day to check out galleries: date TBA

        501 c 3

        -What are the costs vs. benefits of being a 501 c 3.  More research needed.

        Other Orgs Tabling at Ladyfest Events

        -LGRL and TACT both interested. Cool with us, but not at the Ritz cause it�s too small.

        Logo Contest

        -Get those flyers up! The contest deadline is Sept 15th!

        Do you Yahoo!?
      • adrianne gonzalez
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 4, 2003
          Hey Anna,
          I'm a Singer/songwriter wanting to knoww when ya'll
          are going to start accepting submissions to perform at
          LADYFEST 2004. If you could let me know
          when/address/contact, etc that would be great!!

          cheers,
          adrianne

          --- Anna Giuliani <angussimon3242@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > two band �headliners� for Friday and Saturday.
          > Sarah suggested we look into getting a draw for each
          > portion of Ladyfest (not just bands). This leaves
          > the question open for workshops. Will they be on
          > Sunday and Monday (Memorial Day)?
          >

          > Benefits:
          >
          > -Suggestion for a Workshops Benefit: have workshops
          > (knitting, yoga, silkscreening, more popular ones)
          > to raise money
          >
          > -Lacey will work on getting third band for Sept
          > benefit
          >
          > -Club Skirt: Beth will contact DJ Katherine about
          > doing Nov Club Skirt
          >
          > -The Sept benefit will be at the Ritz
          >
          > -Lacey to talk to Vortex about October benefit
          >
          > -October bands????
          >

          > Heather�s Going Away party
          >
          > -Wed. Sept 10th, if OK with Heather
          >
          > -Either at: Anna�s house, Karaoke bar, or the
          > Showdown (or somewhere else) � it�s up to Heather!

          === message truncated ===

          http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
        • revengeofthebadapples
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 4, 2003
            Hi!
            I am Sarah on the Bands Committee.
            Thanks for your interest.
            Look for the Ladyfest Call for Submissions to come out this fall and
            to wrap up sometime in the Spring of 2004.
            We will have the submission forms on our web page available for
            downloading and we will be sure to send out the call for submissions
            on this message group.
            So, We are working on it!
            And we look forward to listening to your submission...
            Sarah
          • Anna Giuliani
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 4, 2003

              Watch Dean Debate Tonight!

              Watch Governor Dean debate on TV tonight on PBS!

              Tonight, September 4th at 6 PM Mountain time, Dean debates all the major
              candidates in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

              This is the first in a series of Democratic Party debates. This debate
              is hosted by New Mexico Governor Bill Richardson and the Congressional
              Hispanic Caucus. Please watch the debate, get your friends to watch, and
              give us your comments about it on the blog. Starting at 8 PM ET we'll
              have an open discussion on the debate here:

              http://www.blogforamerica.com

              This debate comes at a critical time for the Dean campaign -- at the
              beginning of the month will change politics forever. These first ten
              days of the September to Remember depend on you. Please join the Dean
              community:

              http://www.deanforamerica.com/joinseptember

              While most people cannot do one thing every day, we ask that each person
              do at least one thing to join the community in these first ten days, at
              least one thing for outreach in the second ten days, and at least one
              thing to support the campaign directly in the last ten days.

              Check the blog for daily suggestions on daily actions:

              http://www.blogforamerica.com

              Part of joining the Dean community is engaging in the political process
              through petitions and direct action. This week millions of American
              children return to school, where they will face chaos and confusion
              caused by the Bush Administration's "No Child Left Behind" education
              law. As Governor Dean has said before, instead of No Child Left Behind,
              the law should be called No School Board Left Standing. For your action
              today, Governor Dean asks that you join the "No School Board Left
              Standing" petition and pass it on:

              http://www.deanforamerica.com/supportkids

              The No Child Left Behind Act does not help it actually hurts local
              efforts to improve schools. For more information on the bill, follow
              the link to the petition site.

              Thank you for all that you do, and enjoy the debate.

              You are making history this month.

              Joe Trippi and the Dean for America Staff

              P.S. If you miss the debate, be sure to watch the highlights on

              Join local events at http://www.deanforamerica.com/action
              Contribute at http://www.deanforamerica.com/contribute
              Join Dean Wireless at http://www.deanforamerica.com/wireless

              You are subscribed to Dean for America as anna.giuliani@....

              Paid for and maintained by DEAN FOR AMERICA
              Contributions to Dean For America are not tax-deductible for federal income tax purposes

              Do you Yahoo!?