Re: [LacrosseWS] Ground mount or Roof mount?

  • Robin Gilks
    Message 1 of 6 , May 4, 2013
      > Hello,
      > I have had many different weather stations through-out the years ranging
      > from Wired Oregon Scientific to basic Walmart wireless weather station.
      > They get old and soon enough a cup from the anemometer cracks or breaks
      > off. So, replace units with something new. My question is how accurate
      > is mounting the whole unit on a mast in the yard compared too roof
      > mounting? I have always had them mounted off a mast from a chimney
      > mount but a friend of mine has his on a little mast in his yard. What
      > do you suggest and which is or accurate?
      >
      > Jeffrey

      As a rule of thumb to avoid turbulent air you need to make sure the sensor
      measuring wind speed is at least 20ft (6m) higher than anything else for
      at least 300ft (100m) all round it.

      This is one of the basic rules used for successful operation of a small
      wind turbine where you want smooth non-turbulent air rather than
      responding to the immediate micro climate around trees and the house.

      Once you satisfy those conditions you'll be amazed at how stable the wind
      direction generally is and how few gusts there are!!

      --
      Robin Gilks
    • John Liss
      Message 2 of 6 , May 4, 2013
        Or just put it where you want to know the wind speed. After all it is relative.