Re: [LacrosseWS] Ground mount or Roof mount?

  • Jeffrey
    Message 1 of 6 , May 3, 2013
      My yard consists of trees and the chimney mount is nice but as you said
      before airfoil. So, which would you do roof or ground? My buddy has his
      on a tripod about 5' off the ground. I can do the same or place it off a
      storage shed in the yard however I live on about an acre so it would be
      back there!

      On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 2:12 PM, Doug Braun <doug@...> wrote:

      > It depends.
      >
      > If your yard is surrounded by trees, it will read maybe 50 percent or less
      > of the actual wind speed.
      >
      > Doug
      > On May 3, 2013 2:49 PM, "Jeffrey" <n9mxtham@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello,
      > > I have had many different weather stations through-out the years
      > ranging from Wired Oregon Scientific to basic Walmart wireless weather
      > station. They get old and soon enough a cup from the anemometer cracks or
      > breaks off. So, replace units with something new. My question is how
      > accurate is mounting the whole unit on a mast in the yard compared too roof
      > mounting? I have always had them mounted off a mast from a chimney mount
      > but a friend of mine has his on a little mast in his yard. What do you
      > suggest and which is or accurate?
      > >
      > > Jeffrey

    • Robin Gilks
      Message 2 of 6 , May 4, 2013
        > Hello,
        > I have had many different weather stations through-out the years ranging
        > from Wired Oregon Scientific to basic Walmart wireless weather station.
        > They get old and soon enough a cup from the anemometer cracks or breaks
        > off. So, replace units with something new. My question is how accurate
        > is mounting the whole unit on a mast in the yard compared too roof
        > mounting? I have always had them mounted off a mast from a chimney
        > mount but a friend of mine has his on a little mast in his yard. What
        > do you suggest and which is or accurate?
        >
        > Jeffrey

        As a rule of thumb to avoid turbulent air you need to make sure the sensor
        measuring wind speed is at least 20ft (6m) higher than anything else for
        at least 300ft (100m) all round it.

        This is one of the basic rules used for successful operation of a small
        wind turbine where you want smooth non-turbulent air rather than
        responding to the immediate micro climate around trees and the house.

        Once you satisfy those conditions you'll be amazed at how stable the wind
        direction generally is and how few gusts there are!!

        --
        Robin Gilks
      • John Liss
        Message 3 of 6 , May 4, 2013
          Or just put it where you want to know the wind speed. After all it is relative.