Ground mount or Roof mount?

  • Jeffrey
    Message 1 of 6 , May 3, 2013
      Hello,
      I have had many different weather stations through-out the years ranging from Wired Oregon Scientific to basic Walmart wireless weather station. They get old and soon enough a cup from the anemometer cracks or breaks off. So, replace units with something new. My question is how accurate is mounting the whole unit on a mast in the yard compared too roof mounting? I have always had them mounted off a mast from a chimney mount but a friend of mine has his on a little mast in his yard. What do you suggest and which is or accurate?

      Jeffrey
    • Jeff Bogumil
      Message 2 of 6 , May 3, 2013
        FWIW, my guess would be that, within the range of feasible/practical
        homeowner mounting heights, higher is generally better. HOWEVER, clearly a
        building/roof can act as a airfoil; so, beyond simple "height", add to the
        list of relevant issues consideration of prevailing wind direction(s) in
        relation to the anemometer, nearby objects, roof shape, and height above
        those objects, as well as the ground.

        On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 2:32 PM, Jeffrey <n9mxtham@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Hello,
        > I have had many different weather stations through-out the years ranging
        > from Wired Oregon Scientific to basic Walmart wireless weather station.
        > They get old and soon enough a cup from the anemometer cracks or breaks
        > off. So, replace units with something new. My question is how accurate is
        > mounting the whole unit on a mast in the yard compared too roof mounting? I
        > have always had them mounted off a mast from a chimney mount but a friend
        > of mine has his on a little mast in his yard. What do you suggest and which
        > is or accurate?
        >
        > Jeffrey

      • Doug Braun
        Message 3 of 6 , May 3, 2013
          It depends.

          If your yard is surrounded by trees, it will read maybe 50 percent or less
          of the actual wind speed.

          Doug
          On May 3, 2013 2:49 PM, "Jeffrey" <n9mxtham@...> wrote:

          > Hello,
          > I have had many different weather stations through-out the years
          ranging from Wired Oregon Scientific to basic Walmart wireless weather
          station. They get old and soon enough a cup from the anemometer cracks or
          breaks off. So, replace units with something new. My question is how
          accurate is mounting the whole unit on a mast in the yard compared too roof
          mounting? I have always had them mounted off a mast from a chimney mount
          but a friend of mine has his on a little mast in his yard. What do you
          suggest and which is or accurate?

          > Jeffrey

        • Jeffrey
          Message 4 of 6 , May 3, 2013
            My yard consists of trees and the chimney mount is nice but as you said
            before airfoil. So, which would you do roof or ground? My buddy has his
            on a tripod about 5' off the ground. I can do the same or place it off a
            storage shed in the yard however I live on about an acre so it would be
            back there!

            On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 2:12 PM, Doug Braun <doug@...> wrote:

            > It depends.
            >
            > If your yard is surrounded by trees, it will read maybe 50 percent or less
            > of the actual wind speed.
            >
            > Doug
            > On May 3, 2013 2:49 PM, "Jeffrey" <n9mxtham@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hello,
            > > I have had many different weather stations through-out the years
            > ranging from Wired Oregon Scientific to basic Walmart wireless weather
            > station. They get old and soon enough a cup from the anemometer cracks or
            > breaks off. So, replace units with something new. My question is how
            > accurate is mounting the whole unit on a mast in the yard compared too roof
            > mounting? I have always had them mounted off a mast from a chimney mount
            > but a friend of mine has his on a little mast in his yard. What do you
            > suggest and which is or accurate?
            > >
            > > Jeffrey

          • Robin Gilks
            Message 5 of 6 , May 4, 2013
              > Hello,
              > I have had many different weather stations through-out the years ranging
              > from Wired Oregon Scientific to basic Walmart wireless weather station.
              > They get old and soon enough a cup from the anemometer cracks or breaks
              > off. So, replace units with something new. My question is how accurate
              > is mounting the whole unit on a mast in the yard compared too roof
              > mounting? I have always had them mounted off a mast from a chimney
              > mount but a friend of mine has his on a little mast in his yard. What
              > do you suggest and which is or accurate?
              >
              > Jeffrey

              As a rule of thumb to avoid turbulent air you need to make sure the sensor
              measuring wind speed is at least 20ft (6m) higher than anything else for
              at least 300ft (100m) all round it.

              This is one of the basic rules used for successful operation of a small
              wind turbine where you want smooth non-turbulent air rather than
              responding to the immediate micro climate around trees and the house.

              Once you satisfy those conditions you'll be amazed at how stable the wind
              direction generally is and how few gusts there are!!

              --
              Robin Gilks
            • John Liss
              Message 6 of 6 , May 4, 2013
                Or just put it where you want to know the wind speed. After all it is relative.