Wireless protocol

  • Robin Gilks
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 18 7:05 PM
      I have a vague memory of someone analysing the wireless protocol for the
      ws2300 series a few years ago.

      I've had another external sensor fail and since I have 2 fully working
      indoor (base) units I fancy implementing my own outside unit with an
      Arduino and using the wireless transmitter from the failed unit to 'talk'
      to the base units wirelessly.

      Can anyone point me in the direction of the bit rate/data patterns?

      Thanks

      --
      Robin Gilks
    • Peter Antonvich
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 19 7:36 AM
        look at the book "Practical Arduino" chapter 13 - Jonathan Oxer & Hugh Blemings

        To: Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 19 7:39 AM
          http://www.practicalarduino.com/projects/weather-station-receiver

          From: pantonvich@...
          To: lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: RE: [LacrosseWS] Wireless protocol
          Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 10:36:32 -0400

          look at the book "Practical Arduino" chapter 13 - Jonathan Oxer & Hugh Blemings

          To: Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 19 1:37 PM
            > http://www.practicalarduino.com/projects/weather-station-receiver
            >
            > From: pantonvich@...
            > To: lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: RE: [LacrosseWS] Wireless protocol
            > Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 10:36:32 -0400
            >

            > look at the book "Practical Arduino" chapter 13 - Jonathan Oxer & Hugh
            > Blemings
            >
            > To: Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com
            > From: weather@...
            > Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 14:05:00 +1200
            > Subject: [LacrosseWS] Wireless protocol

            Thats brilliant - it never occurred to me to search for receiving the data
            when I will be transmitting it. The main thing is that the protocol itself
            is defined!

            I just have to make the outdoor unit now - which will send data back to
            the house via a wireless router that is already used to get wind turbine
            data back. Once collected by the server I can send the data out to my
            Arduino based transmitter and get to re-use the ws2315 base units (which
            will be so much more reliable as well with the transmitter being quite
            close).

            Cheers

            --
            Robin Gilks
          • Pete Antonvich
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 19 2:56 PM
              Cool hope is works out - would like to know now you make out.

              On Apr 19, 2013, at 4:37 PM, "Robin Gilks" <weather@...> wrote:

              > > http://www.practicalarduino.com/projects/weather-station-receiver
              > >
              > > From: pantonvich@...
              > > To: lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com
              > > Subject: RE: [LacrosseWS] Wireless protocol
              > > Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 10:36:32 -0400
              > >

              > > look at the book "Practical Arduino" chapter 13 - Jonathan Oxer & Hugh
              > > Blemings
              > >
              > > To: Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com
              > > From: weather@...
              > > Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 14:05:00 +1200
              > > Subject: [LacrosseWS] Wireless protocol
              > >

              > Thats brilliant - it never occurred to me to search for receiving the data
              > when I will be transmitting it. The main thing is that the protocol itself
              > is defined!
              >
              > I just have to make the outdoor unit now - which will send data back to
              > the house via a wireless router that is already used to get wind turbine
              > data back. Once collected by the server I can send the data out to my
              > Arduino based transmitter and get to re-use the ws2315 base units (which
              > will be so much more reliable as well with the transmitter being quite
              > close).
              >
              > Cheers
              >
              > --
              > Robin Gilks

            • therat67
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 19 3:16 PM
                I spent ages fully decoding the transmissions of my ws3600 and documented them here:

                http://makin-things.com/articles/decoding-lacrosse-weather-sensor-rf-transmissions/

                I found that the info in the practical arduino book was incomplete. Most of the info applies to the ws2300 as well.

                Cheers
                Simon

                --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, "Robin Gilks" <weather@...> wrote:

                > I have a vague memory of someone analysing the wireless protocol for the
                > ws2300 series a few years ago.
                >
                > I've had another external sensor fail and since I have 2 fully working
                > indoor (base) units I fancy implementing my own outside unit with an
                > Arduino and using the wireless transmitter from the failed unit to 'talk'
                > to the base units wirelessly.
                >
                > Can anyone point me in the direction of the bit rate/data patterns?
                >
                > Thanks
                >
                > --
                > Robin Gilks

              • treimers95
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 19 4:51 PM
                  I looked at this a few months ago-

                  My only problem is that my Lacrosse weather equipment (like most newer stuff in the US) is 915Mhz.

                  I could not find a single thread or discussion by anyone who'd made the same project work using 915Mhz radios instead of 433.
                  Apparently, from some of the discussion I read, there's rather a lot to do in programming the radio chip to use exactly the right frequency and offset and other adjustments, before you even get to
                  the point where you're receiving a signal to decode with the Ardiuno.

                  I don't know quite how they did it with that 433 Mhz project - that part wasn't well documented...

                  And, then, my anemometer quit anyhow, so now I'm not sure if it's dead or the outdoor transmitter it plugged into ;-)