Model C86234 Anemometer

  • bandgmexico
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 8, 2013
      This wireless weather station is sold by Costco for $79 and lists for $279. It has no light and only the anemometer is solar powered, the other units contain AA or C cells and claim a 2 year service life..The anemometer contains two AAA rechargeable cells (alkaline)which should last a couple of years.

      Other than the missing light, I was pleased with the performance of this unit until now, 5 weeks after I installed it, the anemometer portion failed, just went dead, no signal being transmitted..Having some experience repairing this sort of stuff, I CAREFULLY opened the anemometer unit (it's sealed with a silicone gasket) WARNING! a tiny little brass thrust bearing that the wind direction indicator pivot shaft rests on is likely to fall out when you open the case...Then remove 4 more screws that hold the circuit board and carefully and gently slide it towards the rear (straight) edge as you remove it as there is a little black plastic LED reflector gizmo that fits UNDER the wind direction slotted wheel...Somewhat tricky to re-assemble properly, it drops down over the LED emitter on the circuit board, then you have to slip it under the wheel as you slide the circuit board back in without knocking the batteries out of position....

      Anyway, I tightened up the the really poor battery clips, re-installed the batteries and within a few seconds the wall unit began registering the anemometer signal. It functioned normally for a day, then failed again. I repeated the process but this time it stayed dead. I checked the voltage at the main terminals on the board and it had power. I decided to return the unit to La Crosse but after I re-assembled it I glanced over at the wall unit and it once again was displaying the anemometer! So it's wait and see...

      If anyone with this or a similar "solar powered" weather station attempts to change the batteries in the anemometer unit, be VERY careful when you open it, watch for that tiny little brass bearing that goes in the socket under the wind-direction shaft and when you remove the circuit board to access the batteries, expect to find that "T" shaped LED reflector/prism and be sure to position it properly when you put it back together....Good Luck with your weather station!
    • bandgmexico
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 10, 2013
        --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, "bandgmexico" wrote:

        > This wireless weather station is sold by Costco for $79 and lists for $279. It has no light and only the anemometer is solar powered, the other units contain AA or C cells and claim a 2 year service life..The anemometer contains two AAA rechargeable cells (alkaline)which should last a couple of years.
        >
        > Other than the missing light, I was pleased with the performance of this unit until now, 5 weeks after I installed it, the anemometer portion failed, just went dead, no signal being transmitted..Having some experience repairing this sort of stuff, I CAREFULLY opened the anemometer unit (it's sealed with a silicone gasket) WARNING! a tiny little brass thrust bearing that the wind direction indicator pivot shaft rests on is likely to fall out when you open the case...Then remove 4 more screws that hold the circuit board and carefully and gently slide it towards the rear (straight) edge as you remove it as there is a little black plastic LED reflector gizmo that fits UNDER the wind direction slotted wheel...Somewhat tricky to re-assemble properly, it drops down over the LED emitter on the circuit board, then you have to slip it under the wheel as you slide the circuit board back in without knocking the batteries out of position....
        >
        > Anyway, I tightened up the the really poor battery clips, re-installed the batteries and within a few seconds the wall unit began registering the anemometer signal. It functioned normally for a day, then failed again. I repeated the process but this time it stayed dead. I checked the voltage at the main terminals on the board and it had power. I decided to return the unit to La Crosse but after I re-assembled it I glanced over at the wall unit and it once again was displaying the anemometer! So it's wait and see...
        >
        > If anyone with this or a similar "solar powered" weather station attempts to change the batteries in the anemometer unit, be VERY careful when you open it, watch for that tiny little brass bearing that goes in the socket under the wind-direction shaft and when you remove the circuit board to access the batteries, expect to find that "T" shaped LED reflector/prism and be sure to position it properly when you put it back together....Good Luck with your weather station!

        UPDATE..If all else fails, read the directions! After resetting the entire system (by removing and re-installing the batteries in both the display and the outdoor temperature sensor, the anemometer section came back to life..It also seems the 200' wireless range claimed is somewhat optimistic..try 30-50 feet for reliable operation...