WS-2357 - faulty anemometer

  • Tony G
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 1, 2013
      Hi all
      This is my first post

      My WS - 2357 anemometer has stopped sending to the base unit,all other data is received OK.
      The mechanics are working OK(the vane and cups are rotating freely)
      Can it be just the anemometer at fault or could it be the transmitter?
      How can I determine where the fault is?
      I don't want to get a replacement anemometer only to find the problem is elsewhere.

      Any help would be appreciated

      Tony(East Riding of Yorkshire UK)
      Best wishes for the New Year
    • Radio and Communications Svs (Martin)
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 2, 2013
        I had this problem stripped the anemometer apart mainly to check the leads. Cleaned the pcb cleaned spindles etc. reassembled and hey presto after doing a re-sync it all worked, took about 20 mins to re-sync. NOW WARNING WITH A BLACK FELT TIP PEN MARK WHERE BODY PARTS MEET AND WHERE PCB IS IN RELATION TO BODY. BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN REMOVING PCB AS YOU NEED TO LIFT THE LED SENSORS (IF THAT TYPE) WITH THE PCB AT THE SAME TIME OR YOU WILL BREAK THE HOUSING AWAY FROM THE BOARD. (I DID THIS THE FIRST TIME BUT MANAGED TO REATTACH THIS WITH HOT MELT GLUE.) I now carry out this procedure with the anemometer and the main unit every 6 months as they appear to suffer with condensation on the pcb and this tends to corrode slightly over time causing malfunction of the units. Hope this helps and you are successful.
        Regards
        Martin

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 2, 2013
          I'm glad that worked for you Martin, but it doesn't add up!
          The console not seeing the anemometer has to be an electrical issue IMHO.
          So cleaning and lubricating the mechanicals won't help that problem.
          Cleaning contacts, or removing shorts from the PCB *will* help.

          To combat corrosion, spray the solder side of the PCB with acrylic from a
          pressure-pack can sold for that purpose (after cleaning with methylated
          spirits, or ethanol if you have it).
          Spray connectors with CRC-226, or similar, or worst-case, RP7 or WD40.
          Don't go overboard, because surfaces sprayed with those liquids attract
          dust.

          I endorse the bit about marking the parts before disassembly. I've only
          cleaned the fan type anemometer, but the same applies.
          What I found was that the bearing was wearing badly, though it still
          worked. I don't know if the cup anemometers are made any better, but I
          doubt it.
          I think realistically with these weatherstations, you have to expect
          replacement every few years.
          In Australia at least, the sun kills the plastic. -Heaven forbid that they
          should use UV-resistant plastic, or coat it.
          (And in Australia, Lacrosse is not the best value for money option.)

          -Probably should paint all the weatherstation surfaces with white outdoors
          plastic paint when new.

          Ken.

          On 2 January 2013 20:38, Radio and Communications Svs (Martin) <
          martin@...> wrote:

          > I had this problem stripped the anemometer apart mainly to check the
          > leads. Cleaned the pcb cleaned spindles etc. reassembled and hey presto
          > after doing a re-sync it all worked, took about 20 mins to re-sync. NOW
          > WARNING WITH A BLACK FELT TIP PEN MARK WHERE BODY PARTS MEET AND WHERE PCB
          > IS IN RELATION TO BODY. BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN REMOVING PCB AS YOU NEED TO
          > LIFT THE LED SENSORS (IF THAT TYPE) WITH THE PCB AT THE SAME TIME OR YOU
          > WILL BREAK THE HOUSING AWAY FROM THE BOARD. (I DID THIS THE FIRST TIME BUT
          > MANAGED TO REATTACH THIS WITH HOT MELT GLUE.) I now carry out this
          > procedure with the anemometer and the main unit every 6 months as they
          > appear to suffer with condensation on the pcb and this tends to corrode
          > slightly over time causing malfunction of the units. Hope this helps and
          > you are successful.
          > Regards
          > Martin

        • Tony G
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 2, 2013
            My thanks to Martin and Ken for your replies.

            Martin ,I stripped the anemometer to it's parts,and,even with your prior warning and with care,managed to break the LED sensor housing but did manage to re-attach it.
            Ken,I will spray with some sort of WD or ethanol/meths.Can you give a brand name to the pressure pack acylic?
            Do you both think that the anemometer is the problem and if I cant repair it I should replace it?You don't think it could be the transmitter?

            Don't worry,I won't see you in court if I fail to repair it ;-)

            Best wishes
            Tony
            --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, Ken <ken.wagnitz@...> wrote:

            > I'm glad that worked for you Martin, but it doesn't add up!
            > The console not seeing the anemometer has to be an electrical issue IMHO.
            > So cleaning and lubricating the mechanicals won't help that problem.
            > Cleaning contacts, or removing shorts from the PCB *will* help.
            >
            > To combat corrosion, spray the solder side of the PCB with acrylic from a
            > pressure-pack can sold for that purpose (after cleaning with methylated
            > spirits, or ethanol if you have it).
            > Spray connectors with CRC-226, or similar, or worst-case, RP7 or WD40.
            > Don't go overboard, because surfaces sprayed with those liquids attract
            > dust.
            >
            > I endorse the bit about marking the parts before disassembly. I've only
            > cleaned the fan type anemometer, but the same applies.
            > What I found was that the bearing was wearing badly, though it still
            > worked. I don't know if the cup anemometers are made any better, but I
            > doubt it.
            > I think realistically with these weatherstations, you have to expect
            > replacement every few years.
            > In Australia at least, the sun kills the plastic. -Heaven forbid that they
            > should use UV-resistant plastic, or coat it.
            > (And in Australia, Lacrosse is not the best value for money option.)
            >
            > -Probably should paint all the weatherstation surfaces with white outdoors
            > plastic paint when new.
            >
            > Ken.
            >

            > On 2 January 2013 20:38, Radio and Communications Svs (Martin) <
            > martin@...> wrote:
            >
            > > I had this problem stripped the anemometer apart mainly to check the
            > > leads. Cleaned the pcb cleaned spindles etc. reassembled and hey presto
            > > after doing a re-sync it all worked, took about 20 mins to re-sync. NOW
            > > WARNING WITH A BLACK FELT TIP PEN MARK WHERE BODY PARTS MEET AND WHERE PCB
            > > IS IN RELATION TO BODY. BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN REMOVING PCB AS YOU NEED TO
            > > LIFT THE LED SENSORS (IF THAT TYPE) WITH THE PCB AT THE SAME TIME OR YOU
            > > WILL BREAK THE HOUSING AWAY FROM THE BOARD. (I DID THIS THE FIRST TIME BUT
            > > MANAGED TO REATTACH THIS WITH HOT MELT GLUE.) I now carry out this
            > > procedure with the anemometer and the main unit every 6 months as they
            > > appear to suffer with condensation on the pcb and this tends to corrode
            > > slightly over time causing malfunction of the units. Hope this helps and
            > > you are successful.
            > > Regards
            > > Martin

          • Ken
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 2, 2013
              Its unlikely to be the transmitter if you are still seeing updated outside
              temperature & humidity readings.
              (Could be a connector to the transmitter. -Check the pins on the plug.)
              Something died on my Lacrosse WS, and no outside readings got updated.
              I connected it to the console with cable, and still got no outside
              updates. So I bought a different brand of WS.

              Use a cotton-bud soaked in meths to clean the PCB tracks etc if you think
              it is warranted.
              The acrylic spray is sold at electronics stores -Tandy etc (or Jaycar in
              Australia). It is usually 'solder-through', so a circuit can still be
              repaired afterwards.
              Its not essential, just gives good corrosion protection.

              Ken.

            • g8dhe
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 2, 2013
                You might find it quicker and cheaper to contact these guys;
                http://www.weerstationkopen.nl/
                They seem to have the spare you need, and give a good service when I needed some replacements last year!

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 2, 2013
                  Hi Ken
                  Sorry thought I did point out it appeared to be the build up of dampness on the pcb which caused my problem. the cleaning of the mechanical side was only done whilst the unit was open. I used isopropyl alcohol IPA this is the usual pcb cleaner. this is a constant problem with equipment that we have in the damper parts of the UK (especially at the moment) where we have equipment near the sea and up on radio towers.
                  regards
                  Martin

                • Ken
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 3, 2013
                    :)
                    Sounds like you are a candidate for acrylic spray, Martin.
                    It seems each area has its own specific hazards.
                    Where I live in Adelaide Australia, our main problems are fierce sun
                    degrading the plastic, and spiders getting into the rain gauge.
                    The forecast for today here is 44C. And I live in a 'temperate' part of Oz.
                    I guess you never see temperatures near that, Martin.

                    My WS is and has been on the net for some years, but having just moved, it
                    is just stuck in the ground out the back at the moment.
                    I intend to mount it on the patio roof, but direct sun artificially raises
                    the temperature reading, so I'd like to give it a little sun hat first.

                    (I don't really belong in this group any more, as I'm currently using one
                    of the 'Fine Offset' variety of cheap but adequate weatherstations.)

                    Ken.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 4, 2013
                      Hi Ken
                      Re the pcb I am lucky there I coat them with a thin layer of Conformal silicon based spray as we carry out a lot of servicing work on IP and intrinsically safe equipment but I do still religiously re do the boards every 6 months as we are very close to the sea here so also suffer with the salt in the atmosphere.
                      The main unit is housed in a (home made) Stephenson screen about 10 ft up the radio mast and the anemometer 30ft above that out on an arm to stop interference from the structure. The rain gauge is on top of the radio site hut in a fairly sheltered position, to stop wind speed blowing the rain and giving false readings and on a short 5inch pole to stop rain splash from the roof going into the catcher I also fitted a temperature sensor and relay to turn on a couple of small light bulbs inside it, to stop it freezing in the winter and if it gets snow on it this also makes it melt. Would like to do a similar thing with the anemometer at some point. I have hard wired the units together as this gives faster updates. Although the WS2300 was a cheap unit it has served very well over the last 5 or 6 years, as with all things electronic they need a bit of TLC. My wife says all my equipment is covered by more insurance and better looked after than she is. Ah well you cant win them all.
                      Regards
                      Martin

                    • Tony G
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 14, 2013
                        Hi again.

                        Thanks to all of you that offered help and advice about the problem with my TX20 anemometer I followed all your advice to effect a repair but with no success.:-(

                        So I bought a replacement and now all is OK :-)

                        I got the replacement from Skyview Systems Ltd in the UK
                        Reasonable prices and prompt service

                        (I have no connection with this company other than as a satisfied customer)

                        Thanks again
                        Tony(UK)

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 15, 2013
                          Hi Tony
                          Glad you got up and running again. Shame it needed such drastic action.
                          Regards
                          Martin