Re: [LacrosseWS] Non-existent rain

  • Liz
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 14, 2012
      On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 17:07:05 -0700
      Doug Lynch <dlynch01@...> wrote:

      > I had that problem. I replaced the lead in wire with Shielded Cat 5.
      > Fixed ALL of the bad readings.

      I'm married to a cabler, so it went in as shielded Cat5.
      He says he's checked the lot and can't find any problems.
      Perhaps I should call in the opposition?
    • Ken
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 14, 2012
        A long shot but...

        I had my WS mounted on a gatepost into my pool. Whenever the gate was
        slammed, I got a rainfall reading. (The bucket tips easily.)
        If the bucket housing is coming apart, I guess wind into it would be an
        issue too.
        Presumably you've checked it physically?

        Ken.

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 14, 2012
          On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 18:42:59 +1030
          Ken <ken.wagnitz@...> wrote:

          > A long shot but...
          >
          > I had my WS mounted on a gatepost into my pool. Whenever the gate was
          > slammed, I got a rainfall reading. (The bucket tips easily.)
          > If the bucket housing is coming apart, I guess wind into it would be
          > an issue too.
          > Presumably you've checked it physically?
          >
          > Ken.

          MSO says he's checked the bucket, the tipping mechanism, etc.
          It's screwed to the box guttering on the roof so it isn't easy to check.

          Perhaps it still is rodent damage to cabling
        • Dimitris
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 16, 2012
            There is possibility happen it.

            1) Spiders walk over pcb reed switch
            2) RF interferences,maybe somebody near to you is radioamateur
            3) Airspeed or something else make vibration at raingauge
            4) Problem reed switch
            5) Check the rain gauge cable for shortcircuit

            Best regards from Greece
            Dimitris

            --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, Liz <liz@...> wrote:

            > My rain gauge has started reporting rain that isn't.
            > A perfectly fine day could have a couple of mm of rain recorded, not
            > progressively, just all at once.
            > Has anyone had this before?
            > I've seen a few reports of spiders fixing a rain gauge in place, but
            > can't recall one doing extra rain.

          • Liz
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 16, 2012
              On Fri, 16 Nov 2012 18:20:47 -0000
              "Dimitris" <meteo@...> wrote:

              > There is possibility happen it.
              >
              > 1) Spiders walk over pcb reed switch

              could be

              > 2) RF interferences,maybe somebody near to you is radioamateur

              guilty as charged, but it happens independent of transmission

              > 3) Airspeed or something else make vibration at raingauge

              independent of windspeed

              > 4) Problem reed switch

              could be

              > 5) Check the rain gauge cable for shortcircuit

              very likely

              > Best regards from Greece
              > Dimitris
              > http://users.otenet.gr/~meteo/index.html