Re: 8610 and open8610win on Windows 7 x64

  • sgnuf
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 3, 2012
      I'm regulary using my custom WS8610 software since one year, and it
      works very well.
      It runs on win7 x64, on a pc with real serial port.
      Features include: dump memory, show arbitrary portions of memory, write
      memory, a windows service which downloads records and save them in
      sqlite format every x hours, plot of temperature and humidity data,
      detection of daylight saving time, and more...
      See screenshot in files section: WS8610Software.png
      <http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/AM-UUFL0WUMwk81WMsbjOvU1a_cfKAaZ9wcipoOw-p\
      oTPsqzgN-W4ZXNswAEeJEgCrkRIgbQkvbrdxXdnEYGJfWOuTw/WS8610/WS8610Software.\
      png>
      If ayone interested I can give source code in C#.

      --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Bogumil
      <rjbogumil@...> wrote:

      > Fyi, on this general topic of running WS8610 software under 64bit
      Windows--
      > to my surprise I've found that on a PC equipped with a legacy RS232
      > hardware Uart, I've been able to read/"export" the WS8610's 2000+
      record
      > internal data cache using the old/original LaCrosse "Data Recorder"
      > running under MS Windows HomeServer 2011 (a 64bit, abbreviated "home"
      OS
      > variant of MS Win Server 2008 R2.) I haven't attempted installation
      under
      > 64bit Win7, but that may also be possible. In addition to the
      presence of
      > a legacy RS232 Uart (in my experience ESSENTIAL for DataRecorder
      > operation), I've used XP compatibility mode at both DR install and run
      > time.
      >
      > NO disrespect to Open8610, a VERY important/useful open-source
      > reverse-engineered public service by volunteers-- sadly, with no help
      from
      > LaCrosse Inc, even to document their bit-banging nonstandard interface
      > protocol-- but my particular WS8610 application/need requires use of
      the
      > WS8610's internal 2000+ record data cache. (I.e., as opposed to
      requiring
      > that the device be continuously cabled-up to a PC, so as to read
      current
      > temp/humidity values with Open8610's "Log" utility.) Unhappily, but
      > understandably given the obfuscated comm challenge, I've never seen
      > Open8610's "History" utility successfully retrieve more than a few
      hundred
      > records (even thru legacy RS232 Uart hardware.)
      >

      > On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 8:51 AM, junie10020 junie10020@... wrote:
      >

      > > Thanks for that, although I dont have a compiler installed
      currently...
      > > Any chance of sharing the compiled version? Will be much apreciated
      :)

      > > --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, "sgnuf" sgnuf@
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Yes, check open8610win2.1.zip and WS8610-CS.zip in the files
      section.
      > > > I'm using it on Windows 7 x64 and it works very well.
      > > >
      > > > --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, "junie10020"

    • alexandre_belz
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 31, 2015
        Hello sgnuf,

        You're custom version seems very interesing !

        I would be very interested by receving your compiled SW  (I'm also on a W7x64 computer),
        or the project sourc if you prefer.

        Warm regards,
        Alexandre
      • sgnuf
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 20, 2016
          Hi Alexandre, I've uploaded the source code here: https://github.com/eiannone/WS8610

          You can find binary releases here: https://github.com/eiannone/WS8610/releases/

          If anyone interested, I'm currently interfacing the station with both Arduino and ESP8266 boards.

        • nospam2000
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 19, 2016
            Hi,

            I'm also working in getting the ESP8266 integrated into the WS8610. Since yesterday I can read out the records and display it via a WebBrowser directly from the ESP8266.

            The connection of the ESP8266 is directly to the internal i2c bus and not to the external connector. The power comes from the internal 3.3V of the WS8610.

            One of my biggest concerns is the battery consumption. What I want to do is put the ESP8266 in sleep mode and wake up once an hour to upload the data to an internet server. Currently I'm testing how long the batteries last without sleep mode and just waiting for http connection.

              Michael