WS-2317EL Temperature is OFL

  • Jon Tabor
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2012
      Hey folks, first time post. I tried searching in the archives for this,
      but no luck.

      My temperature is OFL. No, not awful.

      I've had this station running with the same config/wiring (I use wired mode
      to the thermo-hygro sensor) for about 4 years now with no problems.
      Recently, the temperature started showing OFL on the console display,
      though the wind and rain gauge still work properly.

      I pulled it off the wall and put batteries in it to see if the wireless
      would work, but no change.

      I'm thinking this is a fault inside the thermo-hygro sensor itself.
      Anybody seen this before? Any ideas what to look for? I'm pretty handy
      with a soldiering iron, so if there's one particular component on the board
      that might be at fault, I'm not adverse to attempting a repair.

      Thanks in advance,
      Jon

    • Elegant Pie
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2012
        https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=Lacrosse+ofl&oq=Lacrosse+ofl&gs_l=hp.3..0l4.2088.5440.0.5681.5.5.0.0.0.0.162.523.1j3.4.0.les%3Beqn%2Crate_low%3D0-035%2Crate_high%3D0-035%2Cmin_length%3D2%2Ccconf%3D1-2%2Csecond_pass%3Dfalse%2Cnum_suggestions%3D1%2Cignore_bad_origquery%3Dtrue..0.0...1c.2j1.ngjGrHgvO9o&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=cacdae0a7374697e&biw=1024&bih=613

        > To: Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com
        > From: jonsmg@...
        > Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2012 10:39:16 -0700
        > Subject: [LacrosseWS] WS-2317EL Temperature is OFL
        >
        > Hey folks, first time post. I tried searching in the archives for this,
        > but no luck.
        >
        > My temperature is OFL. No, not awful.
        >
        > I've had this station running with the same config/wiring (I use wired mode
        > to the thermo-hygro sensor) for about 4 years now with no problems.
        > Recently, the temperature started showing OFL on the console display,
        > though the wind and rain gauge still work properly.
        >
        > I pulled it off the wall and put batteries in it to see if the wireless
        > would work, but no change.
        >
        > I'm thinking this is a fault inside the thermo-hygro sensor itself.
        > Anybody seen this before? Any ideas what to look for? I'm pretty handy
        > with a soldiering iron, so if there's one particular component on the board
        > that might be at fault, I'm not adverse to attempting a repair.
        >
        > Thanks in advance,
        > Jon

      • Elegant Pie
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 2012
          shorter link

          http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=Lacrosse+ofl

          > To: Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com
          > From: jonsmg@...
          > Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2012 10:39:16 -0700
          > Subject: [LacrosseWS] WS-2317EL Temperature is OFL
          >
          > Hey folks, first time post. I tried searching in the archives for this,
          > but no luck.
          >
          > My temperature is OFL. No, not awful.
          >
          > I've had this station running with the same config/wiring (I use wired mode
          > to the thermo-hygro sensor) for about 4 years now with no problems.
          > Recently, the temperature started showing OFL on the console display,
          > though the wind and rain gauge still work properly.
          >
          > I pulled it off the wall and put batteries in it to see if the wireless
          > would work, but no change.
          >
          > I'm thinking this is a fault inside the thermo-hygro sensor itself.
          > Anybody seen this before? Any ideas what to look for? I'm pretty handy
          > with a soldiering iron, so if there's one particular component on the board
          > that might be at fault, I'm not adverse to attempting a repair.
          >
          > Thanks in advance,
          > Jon

        • Jeff Bogumil
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 1, 2012
            Glancing at only the top-ranked among 36,800 Google hits in the posted
            reply link, it struck me as pretty lame:
            . "OFL" appears in the outdoor temperature section
            . of the LCD.
            .
            . Wait until the current surrounding temperature cools
            . down or increases. Current temperature is outside of
            . the measuring range of the transmitter. The outdoor
            . temperature will be displayed again once the current
            . surrounding temperature is within the range of the
            . transmitter.
            . Check the polarity on your batteries to make sure they
            . are installed according to the diagrams in the battery
            . compartment. Also make sure that you are using a
            . new good quality alkaline battery.
            . If you need more information on your product, please
            . consult the manual or contact customer service

            battery polarity: typical La Crosse. I mean, if it didn't occur to someone
            to check those issues among others, most likely the user would not have
            been able to keep a La Crosse WS running for four years. Heaven forbid
            that La Crosse make available schematics or comm protocol documentation as
            a service to users.

            FWIW, I get OFL readings sporadically (with other La Crosse model WS) and
            have found it to be a symptom of the obvious things you have already
            considered, or on occasion transient happenstance, or bad/noisy electrical
            contacts. Check your cabling, and also wiring internal to the remote
            sensor that has been exposed to the elements for four years. The one
            positive thing about La Crosse WS is that mass marketing has kept them
            relatively affordable, purchased from web discounters. Although one may
            reasonably think first of repair, Jon-- the most cost effective remedy, not
            valuing your time at zero, may be unit replacement.

            On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 3:05 PM, Elegant Pie <ElegantPie@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=Lacrosse+ofl&oq=Lacrosse+ofl&gs_l=hp.3..0l4.2088.5440.0.5681.5.5.0.0.0.0.162.523.1j3.4.0.les%3Beqn%2Crate_low%3D0-035%2Crate_high%3D0-035%2Cmin_length%3D2%2Ccconf%3D1-2%2Csecond_pass%3Dfalse%2Cnum_suggestions%3D1%2Cignore_bad_origquery%3Dtrue..0.0...1c.2j1.ngjGrHgvO9o&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=cacdae0a7374697e&biw=1024&bih=613
            >
            > > To: Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com
            > > From: jonsmg@...
            > > Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2012 10:39:16 -0700
            > > Subject: [LacrosseWS] WS-2317EL Temperature is OFL
            >

            > > Hey folks, first time post. I tried searching in the archives for this,
            > > but no luck.
            > >
            > > My temperature is OFL. No, not awful.
            > >
            > > I've had this station running with the same config/wiring (I use wired
            > mode
            > > to the thermo-hygro sensor) for about 4 years now with no problems.
            > > Recently, the temperature started showing OFL on the console display,
            > > though the wind and rain gauge still work properly.
            > >
            > > I pulled it off the wall and put batteries in it to see if the wireless
            > > would work, but no change.
            > >
            > > I'm thinking this is a fault inside the thermo-hygro sensor itself.
            > > Anybody seen this before? Any ideas what to look for? I'm pretty handy
            > > with a soldiering iron, so if there's one particular component on the
            > board
            > > that might be at fault, I'm not adverse to attempting a repair.
            > >
            > > Thanks in advance,
            > > Jon

          • Jon Tabor
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 1, 2012
              Elegant Pie, I think you probably should have used the tried and true, more
              snark-worthy, standard forum response:
              http://lmgtfy.com/?q=lacrosse+ofl

              Thanks Jeff for the information. I think you might be right, replacement
              might be a more economical route. I was hoping it was a "known issue" of
              some sort with a relatively straight-forward solution. I can always get a
              replacement, and tinker with the internals of the old one for fun.

              Yes, that's what I do for fun.

              And hey, who knows, I may solve the issue and be able to post a solution
              that provides some useful information down the line.

              Thanks for the info.

              Jon

            • Elegant Pie
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 1, 2012
                The first page had a few hits. I did not vet them.

                Mine never showed OFL. Once the pressure went dead and I blew hard in the hole and it came back. Dust I guess. I don't use batteries on my WS2317-EL. When the power goes out it behaves wacky for an hour. It is four years old, still works OK, so I feel like I got my money's worth for $100 US. Had to replace the reed switch in the rain gage at 2 years or so. I live near NYC so the sensors freeze every winter. I use wires to outside, not the radio. A lightning storm killed COM1 on my PC so I had to switch to COM2. Still getting data to the PC. The LaCrosse survived that lightning with no problems other than a reset. I have been able to use the user-derived programming interface to write my own programs to read the date. Here is one:

                http://www.elegantpie.com/ws2300saver.html

                Mike Robinson

              • Elegant Pie
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 2, 2012
                  Pretty funny. Never saw it before. That's my excuse.