Replacement reed relay for rain sensor

  • Colin Law
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 3, 2012
      The reed relay in my rain sensor (a Technoline 2350 but I think it is
      just a re-branded Lacrosse) has stopped working. Is there a
      recommended replacement relay or will a generic one such as Maplin
      CL36P be ok. See
      http://www.maplin.co.uk/miniature-reed-switches-12389 and click on
      Specification tab to see spec.

      Colin
    • Doug Braun
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 3, 2012
        A couple of years ago I had the same problem. I replaced the switch
        with the reed switch that Radio Shack sold, and it has worked fine
        ever since.

        Doug

        On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 7:06 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw@...> wrote:
        > The reed relay in my rain sensor (a Technoline 2350 but I think it is
        > just a re-branded Lacrosse) has stopped working.  Is there a
        > recommended replacement relay or will a generic one such as Maplin
        > CL36P be ok.  See
        > http://www.maplin.co.uk/miniature-reed-switches-12389 and click on
        > Specification tab to see spec.

      • Elegant Pie
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 3, 2012
          Two years ago I replaced the reed switch in my LaCrosse ws2300 rain sensor with this. Still working. Got it from Mouser in the USA. I live near New York so it sees freezing weather. The rain sensor quits when filled with snow of course, but the reed switch keeps working once it melts.

          I'll send attachment if the link does not work.

          Meder Electronic Reed Switch 1 Form A 14mm AT 1520 OKI

          http://www.meder.com/fileadmin/meder/pdf/en/Products/OKI_Switches-En/OKI_Switch_ORD9216.pdf

          > To: Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com
          > From: clanlaw@...
          > Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2012 12:06:21 +0000
          > Subject: [LacrosseWS] Replacement reed relay for rain sensor
          >
          > The reed relay in my rain sensor (a Technoline 2350 but I think it is
          > just a re-branded Lacrosse) has stopped working. Is there a
          > recommended replacement relay or will a generic one such as Maplin
          > CL36P be ok. See
          > http://www.maplin.co.uk/miniature-reed-switches-12389 and click on
          > Specification tab to see spec.
          >
          > Colin

        • steerage250
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 3, 2012
            I replaced the reed in the rain gauge from my Lacrosse 3600 with a 14mm one and had some problems, that I solved by using a 10mm reed.

            See my notes at: http://members.iinet.net.au/~isteer/TechnicalNotes/WeatherStation.htm

            Ian

            --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, Colin Law <clanlaw@...> wrote:

            > The reed relay in my rain sensor (a Technoline 2350 but I think it is
            > just a re-branded Lacrosse) has stopped working. Is there a
            > recommended replacement relay or will a generic one such as Maplin
            > CL36P be ok. See
            > http://www.maplin.co.uk/miniature-reed-switches-12389 and click on
            > Specification tab to see spec.
            >
            > Colin

          • Colin Law
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 4, 2012
              On 4 March 2012 05:07, steerage250 <steerage250@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > I replaced the reed in the rain gauge from my Lacrosse 3600 with a 14mm
              > one and had some problems, that I solved by using a 10mm reed.
              >
              > See my notes at:
              > http://members.iinet.net.au/~isteer/TechnicalNotes/WeatherStation.htm

              Many thanks to all who replied, it looks as if I will just have to buy one
              (the Maplin one costs the extortionate amount of £1.79) and check it out.

              I will post back my experience.

              Colin

            • Rob
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 5, 2012
                --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, Colin Law <clanlaw@...> wrote:

                > The reed relay in my rain sensor (a Technoline 2350 but I think it is
                > just a re-branded Lacrosse) has stopped working.

                What a coincidence - I think this has just this week happened to mine, too. My batteries check OK (and I replaced 'em just to be sure) and the main station shows a comm link to the RS. Can I ask how you verified this, and maybe get some suggestions for proceeding?

                I take it I just open up that box that apparently houses the reed switch, and "dike it out" and solder a new one in place? Doesn't sound like rocket science, but if you have any details or suggestions, I'm all ears! :)

                </rob>
              • Rob
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 5, 2012
                  --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, Colin Law <clanlaw@...> wrote:

                  > The reed relay in my rain sensor (a Technoline 2350 but I think it is
                  > just a re-branded Lacrosse) has stopped working.

                  Oh, and sorry - I see you (Colin) are posing the question, but three other people posted the solution. I should have addressed my previous question to one of them; but I assume they'll see my question anyway.

                  My bad,
                  </r>
                • Elegant Pie
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 5, 2012
                    I don't think I cut it. Don't remember exactly. I think I heated up the joint with a soldering iron until I could pull it free. Then soldered in the new one. It sits on a little circuit board. As always, try to get a good solder joint without overheating or causing too much damage to the traces on the board.

                    You can test the old and new ones with a magnet. There is a magnet in the unit. I think my bad one was open when it should have closed and connected. My guess is normal outdoor thermal cycling broke the seal and allowed moisture in that caused surface oxidation on the contacts. Like all the components they use the cheapest possible.

                    I think I paid about $8 US total with shipping for the part from Mouser.

                    > To: Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com
                    > From: robcranfill@...
                    > Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 17:06:40 +0000
                    > Subject: [LacrosseWS] Re: Replacement reed relay for rain sensor
                    >
                    > --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, Colin Law <clanlaw@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > The reed relay in my rain sensor (a Technoline 2350 but I think it is
                    > > just a re-branded Lacrosse) has stopped working.
                    >
                    > Oh, and sorry - I see you (Colin) are posing the question, but three other people posted the solution. I should have addressed my previous question to one of them; but I assume they'll see my question anyway.
                    >
                    > My bad,
                    > </r>

                  • Colin Law
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 5, 2012
                      On 5 March 2012 17:03, Rob <robcranfill@...> wrote:

                      > **
                      >

                      > --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, Colin Law <clanlaw@...>
                      > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > The reed relay in my rain sensor (a Technoline 2350 but I think it is
                      > > just a re-branded Lacrosse) has stopped working.
                      >
                      > What a coincidence - I think this has just this week happened to mine,
                      > too. My batteries check OK (and I replaced 'em just to be sure) and the
                      > main station shows a comm link to the RS. Can I ask how you verified this,
                      > and maybe get some suggestions for proceeding?
                      >
                      > I take it I just open up that box that apparently houses the reed switch,
                      > and "dike it out" and solder a new one in place? Doesn't sound like rocket
                      > science, but if you have any details or suggestions, I'm all ears! :)

                      I presume you have taken the top off the rain gauge and checked that the
                      rocker is free to move. Assuming that is ok then rock it a few times and
                      see if the rain total increases (you might have to wait a few minutes to be
                      sure that a new value has got through to to the base station. The next
                      thing is to prove whether it is the reed switch that has failed. On mine,
                      having taken the top off the gauge, you can see the wires connecting to a
                      circuit board and can see the switch on the back. The switch could fail in
                      two ways - stuck closed or stuck open. To check for stuck open (which mine
                      was) then using a screwdriver or something similar short across where the
                      two wires come in and join onto the board. As far as the electronics is
                      concerned that is the same as the switch closing (the magnet in the rocker
                      passes close to the switch and sucks the contacts together). Having
                      shorted the lead a few times again see whether the rain total increases.
                      If it has then the switch is stuck open (or there is a bad joint on the
                      board).

                      If the rain total still doesn't increase then if you have a meter that will
                      show connection you could disconnect the cable and connect the meter to the
                      connections on the board and rock the bucket, if you see the connection
                      making and breaking as the rocker goes over the top then all is well. Also
                      if you listen carefully you may be able to hear a very light tick as the
                      switch closes. If you see that it is permanently closed then you will have
                      to unsolder the switch and with the meter you can check it to see if it is
                      stuck closed.
                      On mine, to get the circuit board out, the easiest way is just to unsolder
                      the connection to the cable, then the board just lifts out.

                      I have ordered the Maplin CL37S, it should be here on Wednesday I think.

                      Hope that helps

                      Colin

                      --
                      gplus.to/clanlaw

                    • Colin Law
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 7, 2012
                        On 3 March 2012 12:06, Colin Law <clanlaw@...> wrote:
                        > The reed relay in my rain sensor (a Technoline 2350 but I think it is
                        > just a re-branded Lacrosse) has stopped working.  Is there a
                        > recommended replacement relay or will a generic one such as Maplin
                        > CL36P be ok.  See
                        > http://www.maplin.co.uk/miniature-reed-switches-12389 and click on
                        > Specification tab to see spec.

                        For the record I replaced it with a CL37S from Maplin which I believe
                        to be a Comus GC2314-10-35. It appears to be working perfectly.

                        This is the second time I have had a problem with the rain gauge reed.
                        The first time it started double counting after a few months of use,
                        so adding two to the rain count for each tip. The gauge was replaced
                        under guarantee. The second one lasted about 2 years then it stopped
                        counting altogether, it was not closing. Hopefully the new one is
                        better quality than the original. It should last quite a long time,
                        it is rated -40 to +125C for 100 million operations. Which at 1.5
                        metres of rain per year should be about 30,000 years. I think maybe
                        lead corrosion might be the limiting factor.

                        Colin
                      • David Powell
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 7, 2012
                          Give it a shot of Krylon to keep the leads from corroding!
                        • don_wa5ngp
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 10 2:03 PM
                            just about any reed switch will work. If you find some burgular alarm switches that use magnets then there is a reed switch bottle inside the thing with wires on it. Use a file or knife to scrape away the plastic and you will find that reed bottle.