8610 and open8610win on Windows 7 x64

  • junie10020
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 6, 2011
      Anyone managed to get this to work? Any hints or tips?

      is it possible?
    • sgnuf
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 17, 2012
        Yes, check open8610win2.1.zip and WS8610-CS.zip in the files section.
        I'm using it on Windows 7 x64 and it works very well.

        --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, "junie10020" <junie10020@...> wrote:

        > Anyone managed to get this to work? Any hints or tips?
        >
        > is it possible?

      • junie10020
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 23, 2012
          Thanks for that, although I dont have a compiler installed currently... Any chance of sharing the compiled version? Will be much apreciated :)

          --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, "sgnuf" <sgnuf@...> wrote:

          > Yes, check open8610win2.1.zip and WS8610-CS.zip in the files section.
          > I'm using it on Windows 7 x64 and it works very well.
          >
          > --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, "junie10020" <junie10020@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Anyone managed to get this to work? Any hints or tips?
          > >
          > > is it possible?

        • Jeff Bogumil
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 24, 2012
            Fyi, on this general topic of running WS8610 software under 64bit Windows--
            to my surprise I've found that on a PC equipped with a legacy RS232
            hardware Uart, I've been able to read/"export" the WS8610's 2000+ record
            internal data cache using the old/original LaCrosse "Data Recorder"
            running under MS Windows HomeServer 2011 (a 64bit, abbreviated "home" OS
            variant of MS Win Server 2008 R2.) I haven't attempted installation under
            64bit Win7, but that may also be possible. In addition to the presence of
            a legacy RS232 Uart (in my experience ESSENTIAL for DataRecorder
            operation), I've used XP compatibility mode at both DR install and run
            time.

            NO disrespect to Open8610, a VERY important/useful open-source
            reverse-engineered public service by volunteers-- sadly, with no help from
            LaCrosse Inc, even to document their bit-banging nonstandard interface
            protocol-- but my particular WS8610 application/need requires use of the
            WS8610's internal 2000+ record data cache. (I.e., as opposed to requiring
            that the device be continuously cabled-up to a PC, so as to read current
            temp/humidity values with Open8610's "Log" utility.) Unhappily, but
            understandably given the obfuscated comm challenge, I've never seen
            Open8610's "History" utility successfully retrieve more than a few hundred
            records (even thru legacy RS232 Uart hardware.)

            On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 8:51 AM, junie10020 <junie10020@...> wrote:

            > Thanks for that, although I dont have a compiler installed currently...
            > Any chance of sharing the compiled version? Will be much apreciated :)
            >
            > --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, "sgnuf" <sgnuf@...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Yes, check open8610win2.1.zip and WS8610-CS.zip in the files section.
            > > I'm using it on Windows 7 x64 and it works very well.
            > >
            > > --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, "junie10020"
            > <junie10020@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Anyone managed to get this to work? Any hints or tips?
            > > >
            > > > is it possible?

          • sgnuf
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 3 2:00 AM
              I'm regulary using my custom WS8610 software since one year, and it
              works very well.
              It runs on win7 x64, on a pc with real serial port.
              Features include: dump memory, show arbitrary portions of memory, write
              memory, a windows service which downloads records and save them in
              sqlite format every x hours, plot of temperature and humidity data,
              detection of daylight saving time, and more...
              See screenshot in files section: WS8610Software.png
              <http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/AM-UUFL0WUMwk81WMsbjOvU1a_cfKAaZ9wcipoOw-p\
              oTPsqzgN-W4ZXNswAEeJEgCrkRIgbQkvbrdxXdnEYGJfWOuTw/WS8610/WS8610Software.\
              png>
              If ayone interested I can give source code in C#.

              --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Bogumil
              <rjbogumil@...> wrote:

              > Fyi, on this general topic of running WS8610 software under 64bit
              Windows--
              > to my surprise I've found that on a PC equipped with a legacy RS232
              > hardware Uart, I've been able to read/"export" the WS8610's 2000+
              record
              > internal data cache using the old/original LaCrosse "Data Recorder"
              > running under MS Windows HomeServer 2011 (a 64bit, abbreviated "home"
              OS
              > variant of MS Win Server 2008 R2.) I haven't attempted installation
              under
              > 64bit Win7, but that may also be possible. In addition to the
              presence of
              > a legacy RS232 Uart (in my experience ESSENTIAL for DataRecorder
              > operation), I've used XP compatibility mode at both DR install and run
              > time.
              >
              > NO disrespect to Open8610, a VERY important/useful open-source
              > reverse-engineered public service by volunteers-- sadly, with no help
              from
              > LaCrosse Inc, even to document their bit-banging nonstandard interface
              > protocol-- but my particular WS8610 application/need requires use of
              the
              > WS8610's internal 2000+ record data cache. (I.e., as opposed to
              requiring
              > that the device be continuously cabled-up to a PC, so as to read
              current
              > temp/humidity values with Open8610's "Log" utility.) Unhappily, but
              > understandably given the obfuscated comm challenge, I've never seen
              > Open8610's "History" utility successfully retrieve more than a few
              hundred
              > records (even thru legacy RS232 Uart hardware.)
              >

              > On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 8:51 AM, junie10020 junie10020@... wrote:
              >

              > > Thanks for that, although I dont have a compiler installed
              currently...
              > > Any chance of sharing the compiled version? Will be much apreciated
              :)

              > > --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, "sgnuf" sgnuf@
              > > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Yes, check open8610win2.1.zip and WS8610-CS.zip in the files
              section.
              > > > I'm using it on Windows 7 x64 and it works very well.
              > > >
              > > > --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, "junie10020"

            • alexandre_belz
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 31, 2015
                Hello sgnuf,

                You're custom version seems very interesing !

                I would be very interested by receving your compiled SW  (I'm also on a W7x64 computer),
                or the project sourc if you prefer.

                Warm regards,
                Alexandre
              • sgnuf
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 20, 2016
                  Hi Alexandre, I've uploaded the source code here: https://github.com/eiannone/WS8610

                  You can find binary releases here: https://github.com/eiannone/WS8610/releases/

                  If anyone interested, I'm currently interfacing the station with both Arduino and ESP8266 boards.

                • nospam2000
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 19, 2016
                    Hi,

                    I'm also working in getting the ESP8266 integrated into the WS8610. Since yesterday I can read out the records and display it via a WebBrowser directly from the ESP8266.

                    The connection of the ESP8266 is directly to the internal i2c bus and not to the external connector. The power comes from the internal 3.3V of the WS8610.

                    One of my biggest concerns is the battery consumption. What I want to do is put the ESP8266 in sleep mode and wake up once an hour to upload the data to an internet server. Currently I'm testing how long the batteries last without sleep mode and just waiting for http connection.

                      Michael