RE: [LacrosseWS] Bluetooth RS232-connection

  • paolo becchi
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 1, 2011
      Thanks Hans

      I would like to get some info on this form of handshaking ws2300 uses.

      I know that there is problem connecting through standard Bluetooth dongle
      and standard USB adapter and I think that the reason is this non standard
      handshaking.

      But now LaCrosse ship a USB adapter that work with a ws2300 (and,I hope,
      ws8310) unit.

      Therefore I think there must be a way (hardware or software) to overcome the
      handshaking difference!

      Thank you again

      Paolo

      _____

      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 1, 2011
        --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, Hans Kjaergaard <hans.k2teknik@...> wrote:
        > Yes, but be aware that the weather stations use 2 handshake pins as a
        > reference for the data-signals. They need to stay high and low for the
        > weather stations to be able to transmit anything.

        This is interesting, Hans. Does this mean that I could physically modify a USB/RS232 dongle so that the handshake pins are strapped to either high or low (whichever is required) and that would make one of these work for connecting my laptop to my WS3600?

        Thanks,
        Chuck
      • paolo becchi
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 1, 2011
          Hello Hans

          Let me try to summarize what I have understood from your explanation and
          some other reading

          Handshaking is done with the two pin:
          7 CTS clear to send set to "0" positive voltage
          8 RTS ready to send set to "1" negative voltage

          Booth pin are set by the PC for the transmission to start(may be they
          are set the other way around....I really don’t know).

          Signal are on standard pin 2 and pin 3, but 0 volt reference is not
          on pin 5 as usual
          It will then be necessary to connect with appropriate resistor the
          three pin this way:

          Pin7-----resistor------pin5------resistor ------pin8

          So that when pin7 is +5V and pin 8 is -5V pin5 is 0V.

          Do you think this will work ?

          As you understand I am not en expert in electronics; therefore I need
          support and suggestions.

          Thank you

          Paolo

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 16, 2011
            I have a WS-2308 that I am finally getting out to put up a weather station about 2500 feet from the computer to receive the data and post it to a web site. I've designed and built a set of radio modems that work fine to transmit "normal" serial data. I then came across the weird way Lacrosse implements the serial port on the base unit. In researching this I came upon this thread. I hope someone here can help me.

            I need more detail on how this interface works without a ground connection on pin 5 yet work with a standard PC COM port! I obviously need some circuit at the front end of one of the radio modems (which looks like a standard "DCE" right now). I don't need to use standard handshaking (RTS/CTS) but do have RS-232 level RTS and CTS signals on the DB9 connector. I can use those to create RTS and DTR and set the levels accordingly.

            However, I don't understand what the overall COM circuit looks like with the WS-23xx and PC so am unsure how to proceed. Any information (and especially a schematic) would be really helpful. Thanks

            Al
            --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, Hans Kjaergaard <hans.k2teknik@...> wrote:

            > > Is the RS232 cable used by the units a standard one ( with the conventional
            > >pin assignement)?
            > Yes, but be aware that the weather stations use 2 handshake pins as a
            > reference for the data-signals. They need to stay high and low for the
            > weather stations to be able to transmit anything.
            >
            > So if your Bluetooth deviceses do not support the use of HW handshake
            > signals you are lost.
            >

            > /Hans

          • Jeff Bogumil
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 17, 2011
              So far as I am aware (from long, frustrating experience with the LaCrosse
              WS-8610) neither schematics nor, really, any technical documentation is
              available from LaCrosse for their products; either current or now
              discontinued models. And public-service efforts at reverse engineering, for
              which we should nonetheless be very grateful, have had limited success.

              I don't know offhand, where/how the WS-2308 fits into the LaCrosse
              weather-station hierarchy, but the best documentation I've seen for the
              WS8610 and several roughly contemporaneous Lacrosse WS models can be found
              in notes/comments/annotation included with the semi-operational (Open8610)
              source code in this Yahoo discussion (Lacrosse_weather_stations) group's
              online file archive.

              Note that new/revised code (WS8610-CS.zip, that I have not as yet tried
              myself) was posted in recent months-- which, hopefully, may resolve some
              nagging comm-protocol problems. Source code notes/annotations include
              cryptic explanation of the unorthodox bit-banging Lacrosse protocol-- that
              is not properly called RS-232, but Lacrosse and the rest of us call it that
              because it can be made to work (by bit-banging) through legacy UART-based PC
              RS-232 comm ports. Cable pin-outs are specified in other Yahoo group
              archive files.

              Good luck, and please post to the group anything useful that you learn.

              Jeff

              On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 12:10 AM, ajtestani <atestani@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > I have a WS-2308 that I am finally getting out to put up a weather station
              > about 2500 feet from the computer to receive the data and post it to a web
              > site. I've designed and built a set of radio modems that work fine to
              > transmit "normal" serial data. I then came across the weird way Lacrosse
              > implements the serial port on the base unit. In researching this I came upon
              > this thread. I hope someone here can help me.
              >
              > I need more detail on how this interface works without a ground connection
              > on pin 5 yet work with a standard PC COM port! I obviously need some circuit
              > at the front end of one of the radio modems (which looks like a standard
              > "DCE" right now). I don't need to use standard handshaking (RTS/CTS) but do
              > have RS-232 level RTS and CTS signals on the DB9 connector. I can use those
              > to create RTS and DTR and set the levels accordingly.
              >
              > However, I don't understand what the overall COM circuit looks like with
              > the WS-23xx and PC so am unsure how to proceed. Any information (and
              > especially a schematic) would be really helpful. Thanks
              >
              > Al

            • ajtestani
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 17, 2011
                I agree with the total lack of information from Lacrosse as well as the reverse engineering efforts.

                On this particular issue I have yet to try it but I believe I understand the issue and have a way around it for my radio modems. My question was to get information to verify this. I have done more research since my post below and think I have it.

                Bottom line is Lacrosse took this approach to save a few cents in the hardware and while it does work with "real" com ports on PCs and the better grade of USB to serial adapters, it is a cheap kludge of a way to implement serial communications.

                It appears that to avoid the cost of a MAX232 type device (used everywhere else) and 6 capacitors, what they did was "steal" +V and -V from the PC (or USB to serial adapter if it supports all the handshake signals). By setting RTS to +V and DTR to -V they effectively have these voltages and a virtual ground between them and they got it all for free. For receiving commands from the PC they compare the incoming RXD signal to the virtual ground. For responses transmitted back to the PC they simply connect either the RTS or DTR "voltages" to the TXD pin. There is NO handshaking going on in this interface. It is a simple Rx/Tx interface.

                When I verify this with real hardware including the "fix" I have in mind to deal with it, I'll put something in the files section describing it all.

                Al