HeavyWeather WS2315 disconnection problem

  • msdickerson
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 24 2:27 PM
      I thought I would post this for reference. I have solved a problem I have been having with my WS2315 and HeavyWeather 2.0 beta software (which is now about 5 years old...). After a short period of connection time, the heavyweather software would disconnect and only a reboot of the Pc would make it reconnect. I tried upgrading my serial to usb adaptor software driver, seeing if there was a heavyweather software upgrade (ha ha ha), and actually writing my own reader for the weather station. Ends up that I played with the com port which was assigned to the weather station (com2 in my case) and set the "Transmit Complete timing advance" to faster from default. This seemed to fix the problem. I do not know why this may have changed, but when I changed that setting, the heavyweather 2.0 beta was able to maintain a connection. Only windows updates have been applied to this particular PC over the last couple years, but of course there have been many other devices attached to it. Only the weather station used the serial to usb connector though.

      Just some info for those that may run into the same or similar issue.

      steve d
      www.pinkyjaq.com for a view of our current weather.
    • Jeff Bogumil
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 24 6:26 PM
        Interesting Steve; what operating system and brand/model of USB/RS232
        adapter and driver release?

        Jeff

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 25 6:30 AM
          I am running XP home (service pack is current ....), and the serial adapter to USB is a Keyspan Item#: 471471 Mfr#: USA-19HS.. Driver was just again downloaded and is dated 2007 for the keyspan adapter. I redid the driver when I started having issues with the connection, but it actually made things worse. (updating from a 2005 release to the 2007 release).

          It normally had worked fine after initial installation (12/06) so something changed on this old PC which somehow adjusted the port settings. I am guessing maybe another install or a Windows update might have messed with the settings. But I found this by accident after starting to write a new interface (using fetch2300.c and perl scripts)..

          steve d
          www.pinkyjaq.com

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 25 7:31 AM
            Thanks for the extra information Steve. FWIW, as preserved somewhere in
            this group's message archive, I had great hopes for the Keyspan USA-19HS--
            clearly more sophisticated, and in principle even firmware/microcode
            re-programmable. BUT, in trial use, found it to rank among the least
            effective USB-RS232 adapters for my (more com-port demanding, and never
            fully successful) attempts to periodically dump a Lacrosse-WS8610
            >2k-record data-cache (under Windows XP and/or Vista.) Nevertheless, years
            later, I still idly monitor this group, hoping for a remedy.

            Jeff

            On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 9:30 AM, msdickerson <msdickerson@...> wrote:

            > I am running XP home (service pack is current ....), and the serial adapter
            > to USB is a Keyspan Item#: 471471 Mfr#: USA-19HS.. Driver was just again
            > downloaded and is dated 2007 for the keyspan adapter. I redid the driver
            > when I started having issues with the connection, but it actually made
            > things worse. (updating from a 2005 release to the 2007 release).
            >
            > It normally had worked fine after initial installation (12/06) so something
            > changed on this old PC which somehow adjusted the port settings. I am
            > guessing maybe another install or a Windows update might have messed with
            > the settings. But I found this by accident after starting to write a new
            > interface (using fetch2300.c and perl scripts)..
            >
            > steve d
            > www.pinkyjaq.com

          • msdickerson
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 25 10:17 AM
              Sounds like I picked the "winner" rs232 adapter.....

              Anyway, with the change to the Com setting, it is now consistent again.