Wind sensor stopped working in the ice and cold....

  • Brian R
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2011
      Just a quick question...

      I have a 2317 and the outdoor wind sensor has been struggling in the cold today. At about 3am, it got under 28 degrees here in north Texas and is now down to 18 degrees. The ice storm we have just had froze the wind vane part of the sensor and everything stopped reporting from the wind sensor at that time. It was reading 0.0MPH and the direction was locked to the north west.

      Just ran outside and freed up the direction vane, which is working fine, reporting direction as expected.

      The turbine (while is free to rotate and I can turn it using my fingers), just isn't turning in the wind, which is gusting at about 40MPH right now. I can't see anything blocking it's movement, but I'm not going to spend too much time out there to verify it today :)

      It is reporting 0.0MPH.

      Does anyone know of a lowest temperature below which it won't work?
    • Bill Boggess
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2011
        Mine has worked to -22 F. Lowest reading I have recorded. Wind sensor
        functioned properly.

        Bill Boggess

        On Tue, 2011-02-01 at 15:32 +0000, Brian R wrote:

        > Just a quick question...
        >
        > I have a 2317 and the outdoor wind sensor has been struggling in the
        > cold today. At about 3am, it got under 28 degrees here in north Texas
        > and is now down to 18 degrees. The ice storm we have just had froze
        > the wind vane part of the sensor and everything stopped reporting from
        > the wind sensor at that time. It was reading 0.0MPH and the direction
        > was locked to the north west.
        >
        > Just ran outside and freed up the direction vane, which is working
        > fine, reporting direction as expected.
        >
        > The turbine (while is free to rotate and I can turn it using my
        > fingers), just isn't turning in the wind, which is gusting at about
        > 40MPH right now. I can't see anything blocking it's movement, but I'm
        > not going to spend too much time out there to verify it today :)
        >
        > It is reporting 0.0MPH.
        >
        > Does anyone know of a lowest temperature below which it won't work?

      • johnecarter
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 1, 2011
          My 2310 apears to be sensitive to battery voltage. New batteries: wind speed works fine. Batteries drop to X level: no wind speed reports (even during a storm that produced 60mph winds). Batteries drop somehwere lower than X: wind speed again reported.
          Yes, I need to replace the batteries. No, it won't be soon. There's rain and wind today and I see the surgeon about a torn rotator cuff this afternoon - not about to try chaning batteries with one hand while standing on a ladder :-( Maybe my wife will want the wind reports enough to climb the ladder ;-) The temp, humidiy, and wind direction report consistently regardless of battery level. Ignore any typos - it's hard to type when your dominant hand isn't fully functional.

          John

          --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, Bill Boggess <bboggess@...> wrote:

          > Mine has worked to -22 F. Lowest reading I have recorded. Wind sensor
          > functioned properly.
          >
          > Bill Boggess
          >

          > On Tue, 2011-02-01 at 15:32 +0000, Brian R wrote:
          > >
          > > Just a quick question...
          > >
          > > I have a 2317 and the outdoor wind sensor has been struggling in the
          > > cold today. At about 3am, it got under 28 degrees here in north Texas
          > > and is now down to 18 degrees. The ice storm we have just had froze
          > > the wind vane part of the sensor and everything stopped reporting from
          > > the wind sensor at that time. It was reading 0.0MPH and the direction
          > > was locked to the north west.
          > >
          > > Just ran outside and freed up the direction vane, which is working
          > > fine, reporting direction as expected.
          > >
          > > The turbine (while is free to rotate and I can turn it using my
          > > fingers), just isn't turning in the wind, which is gusting at about
          > > 40MPH right now. I can't see anything blocking it's movement, but I'm
          > > not going to spend too much time out there to verify it today :)
          > >
          > > It is reporting 0.0MPH.
          > >
          > > Does anyone know of a lowest temperature below which it won't work?

        • Rich Brunnworth
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 1, 2011
            This is exactly why I use the AC adapter and only rely on the batteries
            for backup. Then again.... I run in wired mode not wireless.

            Rich

            On 2/1/2011 10:57 AM, johnecarter wrote:

            > My 2310 apears to be sensitive to battery voltage. New batteries: wind
            > speed works fine. Batteries drop to X level: no wind speed reports
            > (even during a storm that produced 60mph winds). Batteries drop
            > somehwere lower than X: wind speed again reported.
            >
            > _

          • Douglas Braun
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 1, 2011
              If you use batteries in the outdoor temperature sensor, be sure to use
              lithium ones. They will work better in cold weather and last much longer. I
              get two year's use from a set.

              Doug
              On Feb 1, 2011 2:02 PM, "Rich Brunnworth" <ibbrunnie@...> wrote:
              > This is exactly why I use the AC adapter and only rely on the batteries
              > for backup. Then again.... I run in wired mode not wireless.
              >
              > Rich
              >
              > On 2/1/2011 10:57 AM, johnecarter wrote:
              >>
              >> My 2310 apears to be sensitive to battery voltage. New batteries: wind
              >> speed works fine. Batteries drop to X level: no wind speed reports
              >> (even during a storm that produced 60mph winds). Batteries drop
              >> somehwere lower than X: wind speed again reported.
              >>
              >> _

            • Brian R
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 2, 2011
                All good suggestions... Use fresh batteries or A/C and use Lithium's.

                That the battery condition is not exactly 100% makes sense, it is cold (still single digits outside at 7am this morning), and the batteries have been in the outside unit for at least six months.

                I run my unit in wireless mode and a couple of years ago, I did design a solar powered charger for a rechargeable battery set, but never actually built it. Maybe this is a project I should dig up from the grave...
              • Jeff Bogumil
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 2, 2011
                  I mention this here/now merely as an abstract possibility, off-hand
                  recalling no prior mention in group threads (whereas bearing
                  degradation/friction and low-temperature battery performance, more likely
                  explanations for malfunction, have been raised many times in years past.)
                  Although to my casual understanding, LaCrosse weather stations use very
                  crude, resonant pulse signaling, it might be that the transmitter is not
                  well temperature-compensated, and de-tuning at low (or high) temperature
                  lessens the effective range-- such that communication is lost.
                  Hypothetically, de-tuning could further result from effects of component
                  aging, without recovery subsequent to a return to "normal" temps.

                  On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 9:08 AM, Brian R <bjrichus@...> wrote:

                  > All good suggestions... Use fresh batteries or A/C and use Lithium's.
                  >
                  > That the battery condition is not exactly 100% makes sense, it is cold
                  > (still single digits outside at 7am this morning), and the batteries have
                  > been in the outside unit for at least six months.
                  >
                  > I run my unit in wireless mode and a couple of years ago, I did design a
                  > solar powered charger for a rechargeable battery set, but never actually
                  > built it. Maybe this is a project I should dig up from the grave...

                • Brian Richman
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 3, 2011
                    > it might be that the transmitter is not

                    >well temperature- compensated, and
                    >de-tuning at low (or high) temperature
                    >lessens the effective range-- such
                    >that communication is lost

                    Jeff,

                    I cannot do anything about the poor LaCrosse design - except buying a different
                    brand.Perhaps at my next birthday?

                    I can at this stage, only do stuff like changing the batteries...

                    By the way, the wind direction sensor has right through this ice storm and low
                    temps worked without a problem. The speed sensor is the problem and I know it
                    isn't the best designed part of these devices. Since It got cold, it seems to
                    work 40% of the time, which implies it or the batteries, are working right on
                    the margins... We'll see how it goes. Should be back above freezing again for
                    the weekend.

                    Thanks.