WS2315 temp/humidity transmitter

  • msdickerson
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 3, 2011
      Hi all - Just wondering if anyone had any experience with the connections in this units transmitter going bad? I had spurious wind readings, replaced the wind sensor, batteries, and then had no wind readings. I noticed that the RJ11/12 female plug for the wind sensor had loosened. Perhaps the connections on the interior of this unit had a short?

      I am ordering a new unit, but just wanted to hear from the group.

      steve d
      www.pinkyjaq.com/weather.html
    • H. Smith
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 3, 2011
        I have never seen that issue but the remote thermo is fairly easy to take apart. If the female RJ jack is loose, this would suggest that the solder joints used to hold it in place have failed.

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 3, 2011
          thanks for the info. I do have another one coming, but will disassemble this one to check it out.

          steve d

          ws2315

          --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, "H. Smith" <wuhu_software@...> wrote:

          > I have never seen that issue but the remote thermo is fairly easy to take apart. If the female RJ jack is loose, this would suggest that the solder joints used to hold it in place have failed.

        • Dimitris
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 3, 2011
            steve d

            Check the female RJ11 if some point lost the contact from the PCB ,and if yet ,you must have soldering iron for the fix it.
            Check the male RJ11 if some wire have cut,and generally all anemometer cable.
            If you have wireless conection try and wired conection with console -out remote sensor ,if work the anemometer at display console.

            Best regards from Greece
            Dimitris

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 6, 2011
              Thanks for the info. Will try that this weekend.

              steve d
              WS2310/15 (NYS)

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 11, 2011
                I opened up the sensor last weekend, and inspected the RJ11 connections. The plastic holder feet which penetrate the board were loose, but the actual wire solder joints and wires all seemed fine. I firmed up the feet of the RJ11 and tested (by pressing) the connections of the RJ11 to the board, and I could not see any fracture or looseness. I reassembled the unit, and tried it, but the wind did not get transmitted after messing with it.

                Monday I received the replacement unit, from Ambient weather supply, and installed it, and all sensors are now working fine.

                So I can only guess there was some other problem with the old sensor unit which caused that one signal set to not be read.

                steve d
                www.pinkyjaq.com (for weather transmissions).

                --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, "msdickerson" <msdickerson@...> wrote:

                > Thanks for the info. Will try that this weekend.
                >
                > steve d
                > WS2310/15 (NYS)
                >
                > --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, "Dimitris" <meteo@> wrote:
                > >
                > > steve d
                > >
                > > Check the female RJ11 if some point lost the contact from the PCB ,and if yet ,you must have soldering iron for the fix it.
                > > Check the male RJ11 if some wire have cut,and generally all anemometer cable.
                > > If you have wireless conection try and wired conection with console -out remote sensor ,if work the anemometer at display console.
                > >
                > > Best regards from Greece
                > > Dimitris
                > > http://users.otenet.gr/~meteo/index.html
                > >

                > > --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, "msdickerson" <msdickerson@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Hi all - Just wondering if anyone had any experience with the connections in this units transmitter going bad? I had spurious wind readings, replaced the wind sensor, batteries, and then had no wind readings. I noticed that the RJ11/12 female plug for the wind sensor had loosened. Perhaps the connections on the interior of this unit had a short?
                > > >
                > > > I am ordering a new unit, but just wanted to hear from the group.
                > > >
                > > > steve d
                > > > www.pinkyjaq.com/weather.html

              • don_wa5ngp
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 16, 2011
                  If you want to tinker with it you might try washing the pcb with hot distilled water and then immediately dry it off. I had a problem with some left over solder contaminants before. Make sure to remove the batteries when doing this.
                  Don

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 24, 2011
                    Sounds interesting - I can certainly try that- This unit had been in service for quite a while prior to the anemometer going bad. Then the new anemometer could not be read by this unit.

                    steve d
                    www.pinkyjaq.com for weather station obs..