Re: [LacrosseWS] ws8610 with USB to Serial connector on NAS Synology or XP Netbook

  • petiotflorent
    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 1, 2010
      Hello

      Well, my USB/serial convertor loves to generate BSOD... I'll get it back to the shop soon...

      I'll try another solution : a real PCI-based card with serial port : am I sure that it will work then ?

      Serial connector is linked to the WS8610 by a simple RJ11 plug (4 wires only) : so the 9 pins of the RS232 plug are not used ??

      Thank for your help.

      Florent

      --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, "petiotflorent" <florent.petiot@...> wrote:

      > Hello all
      >
      > Thank you for all your answers. Unfortunately, your answers are quite depressing :( !
      > I've just tried a first USB/Serial convertor(the brand name is Prolific I guess) on XP Pro and the original Data Recorder software. The result was... a blue screen of death...
      > Maybe I can have another chance with Open8610... I'll try it later.
      >
      > Question : on linux, is there a chance to manage this convertor ?
      >
      > Jeff, I agree with you, this material would be perfect if we could connect it by a simple USB device : cheap, simple and compact...
      >

      > --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Bogumil <rjbogumil@> wrote:
      > >
      > > > My point is, how much time do you waste trying to get weird
      > > > hardware to work, before buying a cheap alternative which isn't
      > > > so weird? If you have an income, work out what your time is
      > > > worth and where you want to spend it. Lacrosse and others
      > > > should be shot for using such stupid protocols and interfaces
      > > > on their weatherstations.
      > >
      > > Agreed, it's as you say Ken; but their WS8610 model was unique: multi-room
      > > indoor temp & humidity, with 4 wireless, auto-installing T plus H channels
      > > (achieving 8 channels, data-logged with 5-minute sampling), in a small AA
      > > battery powered box with an attractive display, and a 2177 record (one week)
      > > data cache; for less than $100 USD.
      > >
      > > A perfect fit for my apartment room-temp monitoring project needs, and the
      > > only well suited device I could find for less than a thousand dollars. Of
      > > course, experimenting with an initial unit, I quickly discovered the
      > > interface problem, the lack of proper documentation, and LaCrosse Inc
      > > disregard for customer relations-- but on the positive side, I found you
      > > guys in this Yahoo group, and Open8610. The Open8610 code, and the effort
      > > that had already gone into reverse-engineering LaCrosse's comm-port protocol
      > > made me hopeful, even optimistic that the comm-port problem would be
      > > solved-- so for a start I bought a dozen WS8610s.
      > >
      > > My plan had been to distribute these to neighbors, so as to obtain an
      > > apartment building heating-season profile, to compare with fuel consumption
      > > and NOAA weather data. BUT, because those folks aren't deeply interested in
      > > conservation issues, the units had to work reliably, with little effort (and
      > > without my repeated intrusion), cabled to commonplace laptops-- the idea
      > > being that daily or weekly, each WS8610's cached data would get sent to me.
      > > Even today, years later, I have yet to spot a device with the particular
      > > mix of features offered by the WS8610 at an affordable unit cost. But I
      > > essentially abandoned the project, though it seems the global warming I had
      > > hoped to help temper continues on pace.
      > >
      > > Jeff

    • Jeff Bogumil
      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 1, 2010
        Yes, per many archived and recent message threads-- traditional
        UART-hardware serial ports generally work OK with LaCrosse weather stations
        Florent; BUT the port hardware is NOT actually driven in any way per RS232
        specs (which is the root of all our difficulties.)

        For a patch (implementing IoCTL call substitutions) that may remedy Open8610
        USB-serial adapter failings, see yesterday's sample-code post by H.Smith
        (instantiating an idea he advanced a couple years ago):
        wuhu_software <http://profiles.yahoo.com/wuhu_software> posted a file
        At least I remain somewhat hopeful-- though I had experimented
        (unsuccessfully) with that suggestion when first proposed, it's certainly
        worth another attempt with Smith's more skillfully written code. (However,
        others in the group have suggested further/independent explanations, such as
        the interface signal voltage issues Ken points to.)

        Jeff

        On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 5:36 AM, petiotflorent <florent.petiot@...>wrote:

        > Hello
        >
        > Well, my USB/serial convertor loves to generate BSOD... I'll get it back to
        > the shop soon...
        >
        > I'll try another solution : a real PCI-based card with serial port : am I
        > sure that it will work then ?
        >
        > Serial connector is linked to the WS8610 by a simple RJ11 plug (4 wires
        > only) : so the 9 pins of the RS232 plug are not used ??
        >
        > Thank for your help.
        >
        > Florent

      • wuhu_software
        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 1, 2010
          Jeff,

          Do you have one of these WS8610 units that you could send me to attempt to get the protocol to work?

          Thanks.

          --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Bogumil <rjbogumil@...> wrote:

          > > My point is, how much time do you waste trying to get weird
          > > hardware to work, before buying a cheap alternative which isn't
          > > so weird? If you have an income, work out what your time is
          > > worth and where you want to spend it. Lacrosse and others
          > > should be shot for using such stupid protocols and interfaces
          > > on their weatherstations.
          >
          > Agreed, it's as you say Ken; but their WS8610 model was unique: multi-room
          > indoor temp & humidity, with 4 wireless, auto-installing T plus H channels
          > (achieving 8 channels, data-logged with 5-minute sampling), in a small AA
          > battery powered box with an attractive display, and a 2177 record (one week)
          > data cache; for less than $100 USD.
          >
          > A perfect fit for my apartment room-temp monitoring project needs, and the
          > only well suited device I could find for less than a thousand dollars. Of
          > course, experimenting with an initial unit, I quickly discovered the
          > interface problem, the lack of proper documentation, and LaCrosse Inc
          > disregard for customer relations-- but on the positive side, I found you
          > guys in this Yahoo group, and Open8610. The Open8610 code, and the effort
          > that had already gone into reverse-engineering LaCrosse's comm-port protocol
          > made me hopeful, even optimistic that the comm-port problem would be
          > solved-- so for a start I bought a dozen WS8610s.
          >
          > My plan had been to distribute these to neighbors, so as to obtain an
          > apartment building heating-season profile, to compare with fuel consumption
          > and NOAA weather data. BUT, because those folks aren't deeply interested in
          > conservation issues, the units had to work reliably, with little effort (and
          > without my repeated intrusion), cabled to commonplace laptops-- the idea
          > being that daily or weekly, each WS8610's cached data would get sent to me.
          > Even today, years later, I have yet to spot a device with the particular
          > mix of features offered by the WS8610 at an affordable unit cost. But I
          > essentially abandoned the project, though it seems the global warming I had
          > hoped to help temper continues on pace.
          >
          > Jeff

        • petiotflorent
          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 16, 2010
            Hello all,

            Since my last post, I bought a PCI card with RS232 connector...
            It works fine on my PC under win7 64, with the original software data recorder.

            I tried to used the several open8610 programs provided here, and here are my questions :
            - the file log8610.exe (or log8610echo.exe) sends back to me only the latest record done on the ws8610. Is it normal ?
            - the file history8610.exe sends back to me the whole memory of the ws8610, but it seems to be coded in hexa, and I don't understand the meaning : the lines appear like that :
            Record 0003 10 23 15 12 10 12 45 30 41 0F 72 63 F6
            I can guess that the 5 first couples of number look like the date and the time (23:15, 15/12/2010), but how can I use the other values provided ??

            In fact what I want to do is to get back data from ws8610 once per day, so if log8610.exe can only provide the last record, I cannot use it. What should I use then ?

            Thank you,

            Florent

            --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, "petiotflorent" <florent.petiot@...> wrote:

            > Hello all
            >
            > Thank you for all your answers. Unfortunately, your answers are quite depressing :( !
            > I've just tried a first USB/Serial convertor(the brand name is Prolific I guess) on XP Pro and the original Data Recorder software. The result was... a blue screen of death...
            > Maybe I can have another chance with Open8610... I'll try it later.
            >
            > Question : on linux, is there a chance to manage this convertor ?
            >
            > Jeff, I agree with you, this material would be perfect if we could connect it by a simple USB device : cheap, simple and compact...
            >

            > --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Bogumil <rjbogumil@> wrote:
            > >
            > > > My point is, how much time do you waste trying to get weird
            > > > hardware to work, before buying a cheap alternative which isn't
            > > > so weird? If you have an income, work out what your time is
            > > > worth and where you want to spend it. Lacrosse and others
            > > > should be shot for using such stupid protocols and interfaces
            > > > on their weatherstations.
            > >
            > > Agreed, it's as you say Ken; but their WS8610 model was unique: multi-room
            > > indoor temp & humidity, with 4 wireless, auto-installing T plus H channels
            > > (achieving 8 channels, data-logged with 5-minute sampling), in a small AA
            > > battery powered box with an attractive display, and a 2177 record (one week)
            > > data cache; for less than $100 USD.
            > >
            > > A perfect fit for my apartment room-temp monitoring project needs, and the
            > > only well suited device I could find for less than a thousand dollars. Of
            > > course, experimenting with an initial unit, I quickly discovered the
            > > interface problem, the lack of proper documentation, and LaCrosse Inc
            > > disregard for customer relations-- but on the positive side, I found you
            > > guys in this Yahoo group, and Open8610. The Open8610 code, and the effort
            > > that had already gone into reverse-engineering LaCrosse's comm-port protocol
            > > made me hopeful, even optimistic that the comm-port problem would be
            > > solved-- so for a start I bought a dozen WS8610s.
            > >
            > > My plan had been to distribute these to neighbors, so as to obtain an
            > > apartment building heating-season profile, to compare with fuel consumption
            > > and NOAA weather data. BUT, because those folks aren't deeply interested in
            > > conservation issues, the units had to work reliably, with little effort (and
            > > without my repeated intrusion), cabled to commonplace laptops-- the idea
            > > being that daily or weekly, each WS8610's cached data would get sent to me.
            > > Even today, years later, I have yet to spot a device with the particular
            > > mix of features offered by the WS8610 at an affordable unit cost. But I
            > > essentially abandoned the project, though it seems the global warming I had
            > > hoped to help temper continues on pace.
            > >
            > > Jeff

          • James Fuller
            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 16, 2010
              Florent,
              What programming language are going to use? I do have working "c" for
              linux that takes the output of history and adds it to an sqlite db. Itmight
              translate fair to windows? I use the MinGWTD g++ compiler for windows.
              James

            • randallroman@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 24 , Dec 16, 2010
                ----- "James Fuller" <jcfuller22@...> wrote:

                > What programming language are going to use? I do have working "c"
                > for linux that takes the output of history and adds it to an sqlite db.
                > Itmight translate fair to windows? I use the MinGWTD g++ compiler for
                > windows.

                James,

                I'd be interested in seeing your code. I have an 8610 working under linux, and while it works, I have to do some cumbersome cron jobs to get it to take periodic readings and dump it into a database. I'd like to see your solution.

                Thanks,

                Randall Roman
              • petiotflorent
                Message 7 of 24 , Dec 16, 2010
                  I'm using a PC under XP Pro and I would like to use VBA (Excel) or php, because I don't know other programming language...

                  Florent

                  --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, randallroman@... wrote:

                  > ----- "James Fuller" <jcfuller22@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > What programming language are going to use? I do have working "c"
                  > > for linux that takes the output of history and adds it to an sqlite db.
                  > > Itmight translate fair to windows? I use the MinGWTD g++ compiler for
                  > > windows.
                  >
                  > James,
                  >
                  > I'd be interested in seeing your code. I have an 8610 working under linux, and while it works, I have to do some cumbersome cron jobs to get it to take periodic readings and dump it into a database. I'd like to see your solution.
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  >
                  > Randall Roman

                • Ken
                  Message 8 of 24 , Dec 16, 2010
                    Florent,

                    When I used open2300 with a 2305 Lacrosse weatherstation, I had a PHP script
                    which ran continuously with a delay in it keyed to the WS update time, which
                    executed the open2300 binary written in C.
                    The binary (C program) fetched data from the WS, and spat it out to stdout,
                    where the PHP script captured it. It worked well.

                    I intend doing similar with my FineOffset WS, for which someone has written
                    a C program (which needs adjusting). As far as I can tell, there is no
                    library for PHP to talk to USB devices. The C program will do that for me.

                    If there is an appropriate C program for the 8610, and you can acquire the
                    binary for your operating system, then you can use it to do the data-read,
                    and your PHP or VBA script can do the rest, without having to dabble in C.

                    That said, C is not hard. If you get a program which nearly does what you
                    want, then editing and re-compiling it is easy, especially on linux. There
                    are GNU C/C++ compilers for both linux and Windows. (If you can master
                    VBscript, C should be a breeze.)

                    Ken.

                    On 17 December 2010 09:27, petiotflorent <florent.petiot@...> wrote:

                    > I'm using a PC under XP Pro and I would like to use VBA (Excel) or php,
                    > because I don't know other programming language...
                    >
                    > Florent
                    >
                    > --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, randallroman@... wrote:
                    > >

                    > > ----- "James Fuller" <jcfuller22@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > What programming language are going to use? I do have working "c"
                    > > > for linux that takes the output of history and adds it to an sqlite db.
                    > > > Itmight translate fair to windows? I use the MinGWTD g++ compiler for
                    > > > windows.
                    > >
                    > > James,
                    > >
                    > > I'd be interested in seeing your code. I have an 8610 working under
                    > linux, and while it works, I have to do some cumbersome cron jobs to get it
                    > to take periodic readings and dump it into a database. I'd like to see your
                    > solution.
                    > >
                    > > Thanks,
                    > >
                    > > Randall Roman

                  • Auguste Dupin
                    Message 9 of 24 , Dec 17, 2010
                      Hi Florent,

                      I've sent directly to you a bit of code that I'm using with VB6 (very
                      closed to VBA).
                      Here is an attached file that gives the kee for decrypting data records.
                      If you do something under PHP, you can sent it to me, I can cope with it.

                      Joyeuses fêtes à tous
                      Auguste

                      Le 16/12/2010 23:57, petiotflorent a écrit :

                      > I'm using a PC under XP Pro and I would like to use VBA (Excel) or
                      > php, because I don't know other programming language...
                      >
                      > Florent
                      >
                      > --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com
                      > <mailto:Lacrosse_weather_stations%40yahoogroups.com>, randallroman@...
                      > wrote:
                      > >

                      > > ----- "James Fuller" <jcfuller22@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > > What programming language are going to use? I do have working "c"
                      > > > for linux that takes the output of history and adds it to an
                      > sqlite db.
                      > > > Itmight translate fair to windows? I use the MinGWTD g++ compiler for
                      > > > windows.
                      > >
                      > > James,
                      > >
                      > > I'd be interested in seeing your code. I have an 8610 working under
                      > linux, and while it works, I have to do some cumbersome cron jobs to
                      > get it to take periodic readings and dump it into a database. I'd like
                      > to see your solution.
                      > >
                      > > Thanks,
                      > >
                      > > Randall Roman

                    • Auguste Dupin
                      Message 10 of 24 , Dec 17, 2010
                        Hoops... It seems that the attached file does'nt go through... If
                        anybody want it, just ask me.
                        Auguste

                        Le 17/12/2010 09:08, Auguste Dupin a écrit :

                        > Hi Florent,
                        >
                        > I've sent directly to you a bit of code that I'm using with VB6 (very
                        > closed to VBA).
                        > Here is an attached file that gives the kee for decrypting data records.
                        > If you do something under PHP, you can sent it to me, I can cope with it.
                        >
                        > Joyeuses fêtes à tous
                        > Auguste
                        >
                        > Le 16/12/2010 23:57, petiotflorent a écrit :
                        > >

                        > > I'm using a PC under XP Pro and I would like to use VBA (Excel) or
                        > > php, because I don't know other programming language...
                        > >
                        > > Florent
                        > >
                        > > --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com
                        > <mailto:Lacrosse_weather_stations%40yahoogroups.com>
                        > > <mailto:Lacrosse_weather_stations%40yahoogroups.com>, randallroman@...
                        > > wrote:

                        > > sqlite db.
                        > compiler for
                        > > >
                        > > > James,
                        > > >
                        > > > I'd be interested in seeing your code. I have an 8610 working under
                        > > linux, and while it works, I have to do some cumbersome cron jobs to
                        > > get it to take periodic readings and dump it into a database. I'd like
                        > > to see your solution.
                        > > >
                        > > > Thanks,
                        > > >
                        > > > Randall Roman

                      • johnecarter
                        Message 11 of 24 , Dec 17, 2010
                          Yahoo doesn't allow attachments, so the best way to make a file available is to upload it to the Files section of the forum.

                          John

                          --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, Auguste Dupin <auguste.dupin@...> wrote:

                          > Hoops... It seems that the attached file does'nt go through... If
                          > anybody want it, just ask me.
                          > Auguste
                          >
                          > Le 17/12/2010 09:08, Auguste Dupin a écrit :
                          > >
                          > > Hi Florent,
                          > >
                          > > I've sent directly to you a bit of code that I'm using with VB6 (very
                          > > closed to VBA).
                          > > Here is an attached file that gives the kee for decrypting data records.
                          > > If you do something under PHP, you can sent it to me, I can cope with it.
                          > >
                          > > Joyeuses fêtes à tous
                          > > Auguste
                          > >
                          > > Le 16/12/2010 23:57, petiotflorent a écrit :
                          > > >

                          > > > I'm using a PC under XP Pro and I would like to use VBA (Excel) or
                          > > > php, because I don't know other programming language...
                          > > >
                          > > > Florent
                          > > >
                          > > > --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com
                          > > <mailto:Lacrosse_weather_stations%40yahoogroups.com>
                          > > > <mailto:Lacrosse_weather_stations%40yahoogroups.com>, randallroman@

                          > > > sqlite db.
                          > > compiler for

                          > > > linux, and while it works, I have to do some cumbersome cron jobs to
                          > > > get it to take periodic readings and dump it into a database. I'd like
                          > > > to see your solution.

                        • Jeff Bogumil
                          Message 12 of 24 , Dec 25, 2011
                            Check the discussion group's file archive-- I believe the pin-out info you
                            seek is there. Alternatively, search the message threads for your topic.

                            > On Sun, Dec 25, 2011 at 9:23 AM, Jean-Pierre <jpjcb66@...> wrote:
                            >

                            >> Hello
                            >>
                            >> Excuse my translation I am French. Best wishes for 2012.
                            >> I lost my RS232 cable from my WS8610R.
                            >> I would like to know the wiring diagram of the RJ11-6.
                            >> No. 6 is the ground.
                            >>
                            >> Thank you in advance.
                            >> JP

                          • Jean-Pierre
                            Message 13 of 24 , Dec 25, 2011
                              Thank you for your response.
                              I checked the archive of the discussion group.
                              I found that (in Files) WS-PC 3510or3610 Cable.doc
                              WS3510 or 3610 PC cable (ngrrfan Jul 4, 2007)
                              jp

                              --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Bogumil <rjbogumil@...> wrote:

                              > Check the discussion group's file archive-- I believe the pin-out info you
                              > seek is there. Alternatively, search the message threads for your topic.
                              >

                              > > On Sun, Dec 25, 2011 at 9:23 AM, Jean-Pierre <jpjcb66@...> wrote:
                              > >

                              > >> Hello
                              > >>
                              > >> Excuse my translation I am French. Best wishes for 2012.
                              > >> I lost my RS232 cable from my WS8610R.
                              > >> I would like to know the wiring diagram of the RJ11-6.
                              > >> No. 6 is the ground.
                              > >>
                              > >> Thank you in advance.
                              > >> JP

                            • lakeguy555
                              Message 14 of 24 , Oct 8, 2012
                                Has anyone found a connector that will pass the proprietary protocol correctly?

                                I've been successfully using the DataLogger on my 64-bit Windows 7 machine for some time. But I had a docking station with an integrated serial port that worked great.

                                I now have a new laptop that no longer has a dock or serial port. I had hoped to find a converter that works. But from what I have gathered in this and other posts, it seems like a long shot.

                                Thanks
                              • Jeff Bogumil
                                Message 15 of 24 , Oct 8, 2012
                                  > it seems like a long shot.

                                  That certainly has been my experience. However, if one is content to
                                  continually log the current reading (rather than periodically dump the
                                  2000+ record WS8610 cache) Open8610 is more nearly compatible with
                                  USB/serial-port converters. Unfortunately, lacking documentation or
                                  substantive technical assistance from Lacrosse, a pox on them, my
                                  experience has been that remaining, unresolved Open8610 issues with the
                                  necessarily reverse-engineered bit-banging comm protocol precludes reliable
                                  offloading of the WS8610 data-cache.

                                  I have long held hope that the firmware microcode programmable Keyspan USA-19HS
                                  adapter could be reprogrammed for the purpose. However, understandably,
                                  Keyspan wouldn't take up the challenge without proper documentation of the
                                  protocol-- and getting essential technical information from Lacrosse
                                  (beyond idiotic FAQ such as: check your battery polarity) proved
                                  impossible.

                                  If anyone learns otherwise, please post to the group.

                                  On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 8:30 AM, lakeguy555 <sullivanmar@...>wrote:

                                  > **
                                  >

                                  > Has anyone found a connector that will pass the proprietary protocol
                                  > correctly?
                                  >
                                  > I've been successfully using the DataLogger on my 64-bit Windows 7 machine
                                  > for some time. But I had a docking station with an integrated serial port
                                  > that worked great.
                                  >
                                  > I now have a new laptop that no longer has a dock or serial port. I had
                                  > hoped to find a converter that works. But from what I have gathered in this
                                  > and other posts, it seems like a long shot.
                                  >
                                  > Thanks

                                • sgnuf
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Nov 3, 2012
                                    Hi, it seems that an FTDI USB to serial adapter (don't know which model exactly) works on win7 x64 with my c# version on OpenWS8610 (see WS8610-CS.zip in files section).