2317 temperature errors

  • don_wa5ngp
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2 3:46 PM
      A while ago I posted a question if anyone had trouble with temperature errors. In my case what would happen is that the console would report OLL (over the limit, something like that). It also confused wuhu to the extent that no data would get copied up sometimes. Maybe it only messed up Heavy Weather.

      The problem was getting worse. On a hunch that it was moisture related since it only happened in the mornings I took apart the temperature/hygrometer unit that connects to the wind and rain gauges. I could see some crud on the pcb like left over solder resin. So I heated up some distilled water and loaded a syringe and shot it at the pcb to clean that stuff off. The stubborn stuff I scraped off with a toothpick. I let it all dry off overnight and it has been working now for about a week with no more errors so I think that was the problem.

      If this stays fixed I suppose I should put this info into the files area somewhere.

      I suspect that there will be a few of these that will have this problem as their pcb cleaning stage must not have been very good for a batch or 2 of pcb solder cleanings.

      regards
      Don
    • Doug Lynch
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2 4:22 PM
        I had a similar problem with the outside unit not sending the temp or
        humidity but the wind data was ok. Only seemed to happen when the
        humidity was pretty high. I tore it all apart and cleaned everything
        with alcohol and let it dry and taped over all the connections and
        sensor probe and sprayed both side with a clear acrylic sealer. Let it
        dry and put it all back together and have had no problems for over a
        month now.

        Doug
      • don_wa5ngp
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 3 10:04 AM
          sounds like the same problem Doug.
          My wind data was ok too but somehow the fact that the temp and humidity was way off the console got this out range value and it causes heavy weather data collection to get messed up which in turn prevented wuhu from uploading. By noon it was typically ok but there was this gap in the data for 3-4 hrs prior.

          If it happens again I'll have to try your sealant idea.

          I had a similar problem with a marine vhf radio. In the morning with 100% humidity the radio wouldn't work. Since nothing to lose I did the same thing with a distilled water wash and its worked fine ever since.

          Do you remember the brand name of the sealant? Was it an aerosol or brush on thing?

          Don

          --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, Doug Lynch <dlynch01@...> wrote:

          > I had a similar problem with the outside unit not sending the temp or
          > humidity but the wind data was ok. Only seemed to happen when the
          > humidity was pretty high. I tore it all apart and cleaned everything
          > with alcohol and let it dry and taped over all the connections and
          > sensor probe and sprayed both side with a clear acrylic sealer. Let it
          > dry and put it all back together and have had no problems for over a
          > month now.
          >

          > Doug

        • Doug Lynch
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 3 11:19 AM
            It was a spray on "rattle can" as some call them.

            Doug