Re: Wunderground required rain info

  • don_wa5ngp
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 18, 2010
      Hi Charles,
      have you tried simply shorting the wires together that go to the rain input port? Each time you short the wires it should register .01" If you have an old telephone cable you can do this very easily. Just plug in one end and on the other end short all the wires together at about 1 second intervals. The chances are pretty high that the problem is that the connection has gotten a bit corroded. Sometimes plugging and unplugging the connection several times with wd40 on it will clean the connection.

      Good luck with it.

      Don

      --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, "Charles" <chucka@...> wrote:

      > Last month my Thremo-Hygro L2315 unit quit counting rain drops. The bucket works fine, the circuit board just stopped doing rain. Replacement cost vs an X10 Powerflash unit - So now when it rains, the buckets tip, the PF unit sends the trip to my heyu SW and a little math and I can modify the http://wunder.... &rainin=0.50&dailyrainin=0.00 ... Yesterday we had just under .25" which I reported to WU [in 5 submissions]. However WU only accepted the first report of 0.05" for the total. The other 4 entries are there in the list but not added to the total. Do I need to keep track and report daily also as a summation?
      >
      > Thanks

    • Cal Lidderdale
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 18, 2010
        On 07/18/2010 10:57 AM, don_wa5ngp wrote:

        > Hi Charles,
        > have you tried simply shorting the wires together that go to the rain
        > input port? Each time you short the wires it should register .01" If
        > you have an old telephone cable you can do this very easily. Just plug
        > in one end and on the other end short all the wires together at about
        > 1 second intervals. The chances are pretty high that the problem is
        > that the connection has gotten a bit corroded. Sometimes plugging and
        > unplugging the connection several times with wd40 on it will clean the
        > connection.

        Ya I did all that. Came to the conclusion (along with support at LC)
        that something in the circuity was bad and to get it to work wa$ only
        going to co$t a $mall bit... So I opted for a X10 PSC01 Powerflash to
        relay the counts to my computer and that required me to create a DB and
        write some PHP code (I've been really bummed I had to do). And it
        allowed me to move the bucket to a higher more open location. The
        bucket tips and 10' below it is the PSC01 unit that sends a P1-on,
        P1-off to my computer. I'm running Heyu which has a "SCRIPT rain on
        rcvi :: /A6/chuck/bin/raindrops" entry. 'raindrops' does an "insert
        into rainint values ('$nowi')" | mysql ... Every 5 minutes wu2300 runs
        and creates the http output line. It then checks for 'rainint' from
        midnight and from the previous wu2300 and adjusts
        'rainin=0.00&dailyrainin=0.00' accordingly - then curl's the file off to WU.

        I'm open to suggestions how to geek it up some more O:-)

      • Elegant Pie
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 18, 2010
          The rain sensor on my LaCrosse 2317 stopped working after about 1 year. I replaced the glass-encased magnetic reed switch on the very small circuit board in the sender unit. The board has only this one component on it. Works OK now. I used this magnetic reed switch from www.mouser.com. Cost was only 40 cents but came out to $7.00 with shipping. Still pretty cheap.

          Meder Electronic - Magnetic Reed Switch 1 Form A 14mm AT 1520 OKI

          876-ORD9216-1520 - Mouser Part Number

          ORD9216/15-20 AT - Manufacturer Part Number

          Catalog Page 1670

          I'm not sure this is the best switch to use. Worked OK for me. There are many others.

          I suspect these cheap reed switches are not really designed for outdoor use. I suspect water leaked into the glass case maybe as a result of thermal cycling especially freezing. The electrical symptom of failure was a high resistance and no triggering when placed near the magnet.

          Mike Robinson

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 18, 2010
            Just to add some detail - to test my rain sensor not working - I took
            the board out of the thermal/rain unit, set it on my desk - waited for
            the 2315 to register the temp of the room, not outdoors, and bent
            paperclipped the board lans for 20 some tips of the rain gage - it
            registered ... drought :-(

            And I could meter the bucket tipping when water went through it. I also
            put (more than once) 4 cups of water through my new system (coffee can
            with small hole) to count how man tips 4 cups came to and I ended up
            with not .020 per tip but .016. Close but if you're going to geek it up
            be a anal geek.

            chuck

          • don_wa5ngp
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 19, 2010
              Hi Chuck, I see what you mean. Your problem is a bit more complex. I have a weird problem too. In early mornings my temp sensor gets way off and the console reports something like outside range. I'm thinking about taking it down and cleaning it off. I am suspicious that early in the morning that high humidity is causing some partial short circuits. I've fixed other similar problems (like a vhf marine radio) by taking the pcb out and then washing in hot water and drying off immediately. I may do the same on this thing. Sometimes there are flux contaminants remaining. For now the failure is not very frequent so I'm going to leave well enough alone for now.

              regards
              Don

              --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, Cal Lidderdale <chucka@...> wrote:

              > Just to add some detail - to test my rain sensor not working - I took
              > the board out of the thermal/rain unit, set it on my desk - waited for
              > the 2315 to register the temp of the room, not outdoors, and bent
              > paperclipped the board lans for 20 some tips of the rain gage - it
              > registered ... drought :-(
              >
              > And I could meter the bucket tipping when water went through it. I also
              > put (more than once) 4 cups of water through my new system (coffee can
              > with small hole) to count how man tips 4 cups came to and I ended up
              > with not .020 per tip but .016. Close but if you're going to geek it up
              > be a anal geek.
              >
              > chuck

            • laurie camion
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 19, 2010