Re: [LacrosseWS] Re: WS-2310 Problems

  • Elizabeth Dodd
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 3 1:17 AM
      On Wed, 3 Mar 2010, john_volent wrote:
      > Thanks for the responses. I made an error in my post. I bought the WS-2310
      > in August of 1998 not 1999. The hygrometer warrantee is 1 year.
      >
      > The $37.00/free shipping hygrometer is discontinued so the Ambient Weather
      > hygrometer is $61.04. I am going to put that towards a Davis Vue.
      >
      > I paid $65 for my WS-2310 in 1998 and it let me upload to Weather
      > Underground for over a year. I think I got what I paid for. Now I know I
      > like weather stations and I will invest in a better one
      >
      > Thanks

      If you bought in 1998, it has given good service.
      did you mean 2008?
      My hygrowhatsit died within the first month, was replaced
      now the system is up 2 years, although we changed the anemometer to the cup
      model.
      next time i would buy something else - i need something with more accurate
      rain counting
    • pumps2fix
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 3 1:45 PM
        Colin, what everybody is trying to say is that the LaCrosse
        WS2310 is not a major meteorological instrument...The units are
        marketed by a company in Minnesota, USA, along with a number of
        other inexpensive household thermometers....They have a good
        computer chip that will show you clouds, if you do not want to
        look out of your kitchen window....As far as any recourse regarding
        failures of some of their components, I guess you have to go to
        the UK Legal System.....The units are designed in the USA and are
        manufactured in China...Any Chinese product warranty ends when
        the freighter leaves Hong Kong :-).....I, like others on this
        forum, have had my problems with the functioning of the unit...
        To send a unit back for repair costs more than the original unit
        is worth....(From watching many UK films - I think that you may
        be "stuffed" :-).....
      • Colin Law
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 3 2:30 PM
          On 3 March 2010 21:45, pumps2fix <pumps2fix@...> wrote:
          > Colin, what everybody is trying to say is that the LaCrosse
          > WS2310 is not a major meteorological instrument...The units are
          > marketed by a company in Minnesota, USA, along with a number of
          > other inexpensive household thermometers....They have a good
          > computer chip that will show you clouds, if you do not want to
          > look out of your kitchen window....As far as any recourse regarding
          > failures of some of their components, I guess you have to go to
          > the UK Legal System.....The units are designed in the USA and are
          > manufactured in China...Any Chinese product warranty ends when
          > the freighter leaves Hong Kong :-).....I, like others on this
          > forum, have had my problems with the functioning of the unit...
          > To send a unit back for repair costs more than the original unit
          > is worth....(From watching many UK films - I think that you may
          > be "stuffed" :-).....

          There seems to be some confusion, mine is not broken.

          The great feature of UK consumer law is that the supplier (that is
          whoever the item is purchased from) is always responsible for any
          manufacturing faults or early failures of items purchased. Any
          manufacturer supplied warranty is always in addition to this basic
          rights. So provided the item is bought from a uk supplier, and he has
          not gone broke, then one can always return a failed item to the
          supplier. He must fix or replace it unless he maintains that the user
          has mistreated it or the problem is due to normal wear and tear (which
          would not be the case for a station only a few months old).

          Colin
        • laurie camion
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 3 7:51 PM
            Of course the downside of that and other protections and taxes is that a $250 weather station will cost you $500 in the UK :(

          • cookevilleweatherguy@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 3 7:58 PM
              Wonderful government intrusion.

              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 7 12:27 PM
                One last question. I found a place that sells the replacement Termo-Hygro Sensor for $39 including shipping. Is there any way to tell before buying that the Termo-Hygro Sensor is the problem instead of the console, rain meter or wind meter? I tried using a multimeter on the wind meter and rain sensor but I could not detect a charge or resistance in the instrument when it was moving. Thanks