Re: WS-2310 Problems

  • john_volent
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 2, 2010
      Thanks for the responses. I made an error in my post. I bought the WS-2310 in August of 1998 not 1999. The hygrometer warrantee is 1 year.

      The $37.00/free shipping hygrometer is discontinued so the Ambient Weather hygrometer is $61.04. I am going to put that towards a Davis Vue.

      I paid $65 for my WS-2310 in 1998 and it let me upload to Weather Underground for over a year. I think I got what I paid for. Now I know I like weather stations and I will invest in a better one

      Thanks

      --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, "Eli" <eli.gallup@...> wrote:

      > John,
      > I also have the WS2310 and had similar problems. I have had the unit for approximately four years now and just replaced the hygrometer at that $37.00 price. Once I replaced the hygrometer everything went back to working fine. My weather station is exposed to rather extreme conditions here in central Florida; Extremely hot one day, below freezing within a couple of days later. My WS2310 has held up well, considering I have moved it between three houses in four years. I am not looking to spend a lot of money on a weather station so it works fine for me. However, I do plan to replace the outdoor parts every 2-3 years.
      >

      > --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, "john_volent" <john_volent@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I bought a WS2310 Weather station last August. Four months ago the rain meter stopped working, two days ago the wind meter stopped working and today no temperature and humidity is being received by the unit. I think the hygrometer is bad. Question should I buy and new hygrometer for $37 or should I invest in a quality weatherstation like the Davis Vue? Thanks

    • Elizabeth Dodd
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 3, 2010
        On Wed, 3 Mar 2010, john_volent wrote:
        > Thanks for the responses. I made an error in my post. I bought the WS-2310
        > in August of 1998 not 1999. The hygrometer warrantee is 1 year.
        >
        > The $37.00/free shipping hygrometer is discontinued so the Ambient Weather
        > hygrometer is $61.04. I am going to put that towards a Davis Vue.
        >
        > I paid $65 for my WS-2310 in 1998 and it let me upload to Weather
        > Underground for over a year. I think I got what I paid for. Now I know I
        > like weather stations and I will invest in a better one
        >
        > Thanks

        If you bought in 1998, it has given good service.
        did you mean 2008?
        My hygrowhatsit died within the first month, was replaced
        now the system is up 2 years, although we changed the anemometer to the cup
        model.
        next time i would buy something else - i need something with more accurate
        rain counting
      • pumps2fix
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 3, 2010
          Colin, what everybody is trying to say is that the LaCrosse
          WS2310 is not a major meteorological instrument...The units are
          marketed by a company in Minnesota, USA, along with a number of
          other inexpensive household thermometers....They have a good
          computer chip that will show you clouds, if you do not want to
          look out of your kitchen window....As far as any recourse regarding
          failures of some of their components, I guess you have to go to
          the UK Legal System.....The units are designed in the USA and are
          manufactured in China...Any Chinese product warranty ends when
          the freighter leaves Hong Kong :-).....I, like others on this
          forum, have had my problems with the functioning of the unit...
          To send a unit back for repair costs more than the original unit
          is worth....(From watching many UK films - I think that you may
          be "stuffed" :-).....
        • Colin Law
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 3, 2010
            On 3 March 2010 21:45, pumps2fix <pumps2fix@...> wrote:
            > Colin, what everybody is trying to say is that the LaCrosse
            > WS2310 is not a major meteorological instrument...The units are
            > marketed by a company in Minnesota, USA, along with a number of
            > other inexpensive household thermometers....They have a good
            > computer chip that will show you clouds, if you do not want to
            > look out of your kitchen window....As far as any recourse regarding
            > failures of some of their components, I guess you have to go to
            > the UK Legal System.....The units are designed in the USA and are
            > manufactured in China...Any Chinese product warranty ends when
            > the freighter leaves Hong Kong :-).....I, like others on this
            > forum, have had my problems with the functioning of the unit...
            > To send a unit back for repair costs more than the original unit
            > is worth....(From watching many UK films - I think that you may
            > be "stuffed" :-).....

            There seems to be some confusion, mine is not broken.

            The great feature of UK consumer law is that the supplier (that is
            whoever the item is purchased from) is always responsible for any
            manufacturing faults or early failures of items purchased. Any
            manufacturer supplied warranty is always in addition to this basic
            rights. So provided the item is bought from a uk supplier, and he has
            not gone broke, then one can always return a failed item to the
            supplier. He must fix or replace it unless he maintains that the user
            has mistreated it or the problem is due to normal wear and tear (which
            would not be the case for a station only a few months old).

            Colin
          • laurie camion
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 3, 2010
              Of course the downside of that and other protections and taxes is that a $250 weather station will cost you $500 in the UK :(

            • cookevilleweatherguy@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 3, 2010
                Wonderful government intrusion.

                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 7, 2010
                  One last question. I found a place that sells the replacement Termo-Hygro Sensor for $39 including shipping. Is there any way to tell before buying that the Termo-Hygro Sensor is the problem instead of the console, rain meter or wind meter? I tried using a multimeter on the wind meter and rain sensor but I could not detect a charge or resistance in the instrument when it was moving. Thanks