WS-2310 Problems

  • john_volent
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 28, 2010
      I bought a WS2310 Weather station last August. Four months ago the rain meter stopped working, two days ago the wind meter stopped working and today no temperature and humidity is being received by the unit. I think the hygrometer is bad. Question should I buy and new hygrometer for $37 or should I invest in a quality weatherstation like the Davis Vue? Thanks
    • Colin Law
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 1, 2010
        On 28 February 2010 22:46, john_volent <john_volent@...> wrote:
        > I bought a WS2310 Weather station last August. Four months ago the rain meter stopped working, two days ago the wind meter stopped working and today no temperature and humidity is being received by the unit.  I think the hygrometer is bad.  Question should I buy and new hygrometer for $37 or should I invest in a quality weatherstation like the Davis Vue?  Thanks

        In the UK if something fails when it is only a few months old the
        supplier has to repair or replace it.

        Colin
      • pumps2fix
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 1, 2010
          Colin, the Lacrosse WS2310 is a TOY, entry level weather system....
          If you are really serious about a weather station then I suspect
          that you will have to invest a few shillings into a better Davis
          or Oregon Scientific unit.....The 2310 is a wall thermometer with
          some odd attachments, in my opinion......Pumps.....
        • johnecarter
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 1, 2010
            Are the base and remote wired together?
            Is the base unit on batteries or an AC adapter?

            If the remote is running on batteries, you should use good ones - the remote on my 2310 has been running 18 months on a set of Duracells.

            Repair information for the rain sensor is available online. Basically, you replace the reed switch in the remote unit.

            John

            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 2, 2010
              On 1 March 2010 21:38, pumps2fix <pumps2fix@...> wrote:
              > Colin, the Lacrosse WS2310 is a TOY, entry level weather system....
              > If you are really serious about a weather station then I suspect
              > that you will have to invest a few shillings into a better Davis
              > or Oregon Scientific unit.....The 2310 is a wall thermometer with
              > some odd attachments, in my opinion......Pumps.....

              Although you have snipped my post so I am not certain, I assume the
              above is in response to my suggestion that if a weather station fails
              within a few months the supplier (in the UK at least) would be
              responsible for repairing or replacing it. I quote from the Operation
              Manual supplied with it: "This product is not a toy. Keep out of the
              reach of children". If the manufacturer maintains that it is not a
              toy then it should be expected that it will last for more than a few
              months, so the buyer would have a legal case against the supplier.

              Colin
            • Ken
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 2, 2010
                Colin, that just means the parts aren't edible. :)

                Let's get real here. The LaCrosse weatherstations are cheap (at least in
                the US). To some degree you get what you pay for. I've bought a WH-1091 WS
                for about 1/3 the cost of an equivalent LaCrosse, at similar build quality.
                It works fine.

                For dabblers, the higher priced WSs are too expensive. That is where
                LaCrosse etc fit in.

                I'd say the original poster is best off replacing his sender unit, in terms
                of value for money. That probably won't fix his rain gauge fault, but that
                will be either a crook reed, or even a spider web tying up the tipping
                bucket.

                My LaCrosse WS-2305 also stopped receiving outside measurements, both wired
                & wireless. I decided to try a whole new kit, since LaCrosse parts prices
                are a bit high in Australia.

                Ken.

                On 2 March 2010 19:53, Colin Law <clanlaw@...> wrote:

                > On 1 March 2010 21:38, pumps2fix <pumps2fix@...> wrote:
                > > Colin, the Lacrosse WS2310 is a TOY, entry level weather system....
                > > If you are really serious about a weather station then I suspect
                > > that you will have to invest a few shillings into a better Davis
                > > or Oregon Scientific unit.....The 2310 is a wall thermometer with
                > > some odd attachments, in my opinion......Pumps.....
                >
                > Although you have snipped my post so I am not certain, I assume the
                > above is in response to my suggestion that if a weather station fails
                > within a few months the supplier (in the UK at least) would be
                > responsible for repairing or replacing it. I quote from the Operation
                > Manual supplied with it: "This product is not a toy. Keep out of the
                > reach of children". If the manufacturer maintains that it is not a
                > toy then it should be expected that it will last for more than a few
                > months, so the buyer would have a legal case against the supplier.
                >
                > Colin

              • Colin Law
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 2, 2010
                  On 2 March 2010 10:13, Ken <ken.wagnitz@...> wrote:
                  > Colin, that just means the parts aren't edible.  :)
                  >
                  > Let's get real here.  The LaCrosse weatherstations are cheap (at least in
                  > the US).  To some degree you get what you pay for.  I've bought a WH-1091 WS
                  > for about 1/3 the cost of an equivalent LaCrosse, at similar build quality.
                  > It works fine.
                  >
                  > For dabblers, the higher priced WSs are too expensive.  That is where
                  > LaCrosse etc fit in.
                  >
                  > I'd say the original poster is best off replacing his sender unit, in terms
                  > of value for money.  That probably won't fix his rain gauge fault, but that
                  > will be either a crook reed, or even a spider web tying up the tipping
                  > bucket.
                  >
                  > My LaCrosse WS-2305 also stopped receiving outside measurements, both wired
                  > & wireless.  I decided to try a whole new kit, since LaCrosse parts prices
                  > are a bit high in Australia.

                  I don't disagree with any of this, I was merely stating that if it
                  breaks within a few months then the first recourse (at least in the
                  UK) would be to the supplier to repair or replace it.

                  Colin

                  > Ken.
                  >

                  > On 2 March 2010 19:53, Colin Law <clanlaw@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> On 1 March 2010 21:38, pumps2fix <pumps2fix@...> wrote:
                  >> > Colin, the Lacrosse WS2310 is a TOY, entry level weather system....
                  >> > If you are really serious about a weather station then I suspect
                  >> > that you will have to invest a few shillings into a better Davis
                  >> > or Oregon Scientific unit.....The 2310 is a wall thermometer with
                  >> > some odd attachments, in my opinion......Pumps.....
                  >>
                  >> Although you have snipped my post so I am not certain, I assume the
                  >> above is in response to my suggestion that if a weather station fails
                  >> within a few months the supplier (in the UK at least) would be
                  >> responsible for repairing or replacing it.  I quote from the Operation
                  >> Manual supplied with it:  "This product is not a toy.  Keep out of the
                  >> reach of children".  If the manufacturer maintains that it is not a
                  >> toy then it should be expected that it will last for more than a few
                  >> months, so the buyer would have a legal case against the supplier.
                  >>
                  >> Colin

                • Eli
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 2, 2010
                    John,
                    I also have the WS2310 and had similar problems. I have had the unit for approximately four years now and just replaced the hygrometer at that $37.00 price. Once I replaced the hygrometer everything went back to working fine. My weather station is exposed to rather extreme conditions here in central Florida; Extremely hot one day, below freezing within a couple of days later. My WS2310 has held up well, considering I have moved it between three houses in four years. I am not looking to spend a lot of money on a weather station so it works fine for me. However, I do plan to replace the outdoor parts every 2-3 years.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 2, 2010
                      Thanks for the responses. I made an error in my post. I bought the WS-2310 in August of 1998 not 1999. The hygrometer warrantee is 1 year.

                      The $37.00/free shipping hygrometer is discontinued so the Ambient Weather hygrometer is $61.04. I am going to put that towards a Davis Vue.

                      I paid $65 for my WS-2310 in 1998 and it let me upload to Weather Underground for over a year. I think I got what I paid for. Now I know I like weather stations and I will invest in a better one

                      Thanks

                      --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, "Eli" <eli.gallup@...> wrote:

                      > John,
                      > I also have the WS2310 and had similar problems. I have had the unit for approximately four years now and just replaced the hygrometer at that $37.00 price. Once I replaced the hygrometer everything went back to working fine. My weather station is exposed to rather extreme conditions here in central Florida; Extremely hot one day, below freezing within a couple of days later. My WS2310 has held up well, considering I have moved it between three houses in four years. I am not looking to spend a lot of money on a weather station so it works fine for me. However, I do plan to replace the outdoor parts every 2-3 years.
                      >

                      > --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, "john_volent" <john_volent@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I bought a WS2310 Weather station last August. Four months ago the rain meter stopped working, two days ago the wind meter stopped working and today no temperature and humidity is being received by the unit. I think the hygrometer is bad. Question should I buy and new hygrometer for $37 or should I invest in a quality weatherstation like the Davis Vue? Thanks

                    • Elizabeth Dodd
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 3, 2010
                        On Wed, 3 Mar 2010, john_volent wrote:
                        > Thanks for the responses. I made an error in my post. I bought the WS-2310
                        > in August of 1998 not 1999. The hygrometer warrantee is 1 year.
                        >
                        > The $37.00/free shipping hygrometer is discontinued so the Ambient Weather
                        > hygrometer is $61.04. I am going to put that towards a Davis Vue.
                        >
                        > I paid $65 for my WS-2310 in 1998 and it let me upload to Weather
                        > Underground for over a year. I think I got what I paid for. Now I know I
                        > like weather stations and I will invest in a better one
                        >
                        > Thanks

                        If you bought in 1998, it has given good service.
                        did you mean 2008?
                        My hygrowhatsit died within the first month, was replaced
                        now the system is up 2 years, although we changed the anemometer to the cup
                        model.
                        next time i would buy something else - i need something with more accurate
                        rain counting
                      • pumps2fix
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 3, 2010
                          Colin, what everybody is trying to say is that the LaCrosse
                          WS2310 is not a major meteorological instrument...The units are
                          marketed by a company in Minnesota, USA, along with a number of
                          other inexpensive household thermometers....They have a good
                          computer chip that will show you clouds, if you do not want to
                          look out of your kitchen window....As far as any recourse regarding
                          failures of some of their components, I guess you have to go to
                          the UK Legal System.....The units are designed in the USA and are
                          manufactured in China...Any Chinese product warranty ends when
                          the freighter leaves Hong Kong :-).....I, like others on this
                          forum, have had my problems with the functioning of the unit...
                          To send a unit back for repair costs more than the original unit
                          is worth....(From watching many UK films - I think that you may
                          be "stuffed" :-).....
                        • Colin Law
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 3, 2010
                            On 3 March 2010 21:45, pumps2fix <pumps2fix@...> wrote:
                            > Colin, what everybody is trying to say is that the LaCrosse
                            > WS2310 is not a major meteorological instrument...The units are
                            > marketed by a company in Minnesota, USA, along with a number of
                            > other inexpensive household thermometers....They have a good
                            > computer chip that will show you clouds, if you do not want to
                            > look out of your kitchen window....As far as any recourse regarding
                            > failures of some of their components, I guess you have to go to
                            > the UK Legal System.....The units are designed in the USA and are
                            > manufactured in China...Any Chinese product warranty ends when
                            > the freighter leaves Hong Kong :-).....I, like others on this
                            > forum, have had my problems with the functioning of the unit...
                            > To send a unit back for repair costs more than the original unit
                            > is worth....(From watching many UK films - I think that you may
                            > be "stuffed" :-).....

                            There seems to be some confusion, mine is not broken.

                            The great feature of UK consumer law is that the supplier (that is
                            whoever the item is purchased from) is always responsible for any
                            manufacturing faults or early failures of items purchased. Any
                            manufacturer supplied warranty is always in addition to this basic
                            rights. So provided the item is bought from a uk supplier, and he has
                            not gone broke, then one can always return a failed item to the
                            supplier. He must fix or replace it unless he maintains that the user
                            has mistreated it or the problem is due to normal wear and tear (which
                            would not be the case for a station only a few months old).

                            Colin
                          • laurie camion
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 3, 2010
                              Of course the downside of that and other protections and taxes is that a $250 weather station will cost you $500 in the UK :(

                            • cookevilleweatherguy@yahoo.com
                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 3, 2010
                                Wonderful government intrusion.

                                Message 15 of 15 , Mar 7, 2010
                                  One last question. I found a place that sells the replacement Termo-Hygro Sensor for $39 including shipping. Is there any way to tell before buying that the Termo-Hygro Sensor is the problem instead of the console, rain meter or wind meter? I tried using a multimeter on the wind meter and rain sensor but I could not detect a charge or resistance in the instrument when it was moving. Thanks