Serial port server with Open2300?

  • innovate309
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2009
      I discovered the serial ports on my motherboard are toast but have a Digi PortServer 8 (8 ports) with software that sets it up to look like regular comm ports. Anyone tried this or have any idea if this will work? It would be great if it did because I can place the port server away from the computer and closer to the weather station.

      BTW, this is under Fedora 10. Weather station is 2308.
    • Elizabeth Dodd
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2009
        On Wed, 2 Dec 2009, innovate309 wrote:
        > I discovered the serial ports on my motherboard are toast but have a Digi
        > PortServer 8 (8 ports) with software that sets it up to look like regular
        > comm ports. Anyone tried this or have any idea if this will work? It
        > would be great if it did because I can place the port server away from the
        > computer and closer to the weather station.
        >
        > BTW, this is under Fedora 10. Weather station is 2308.

        Under linux you should have zero difficulty with usb - serial adapters, if you
        have a kernel module.
        I started a list on http://www.lavrsen.dk/foswiki/bin/view/Open2300/USB-
        SerialConverters to help with this problem.
      • ke6uko
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 1, 2009
          I have a PC logging the data from mine in one location, but I code in another. I have used software serial <-> TCP/IP <-> serial, and it does work. However, there are lots of timeouts if you don't turn off the Nagle algorithm on both ends (TCP thing). Nagle causes it to wait 200ms, or so, and the timeouts on the WS software are close to that when the weather sensor is busy.

          I use some Digi stuff at work, without Nagle, and the serial data works fine. Other heavy traffic on the network may cause intermitant issues, though.