WS-1612CH-IT Question

  • Joey
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2009
      Hello all,
      New to the group and I have a quick question. I just bought this weather station and cannot get the base unit to see the hydrometer/transmitter. I think that the transmitter might be bad right out of the box. It is a 915mhz transmitter, I used my ham equipment to try to pick up on the signal from it sitting right next to it and not even a chirp. Would anyone know how to tell if the sensor is bad, since it has the wind and rain sensors hooked to it do they both have to be plugged in for it to transmit back to the station? I would love to get it working. Looks like I may be back to the store with it.

      Thanks,
      Joey
    • Ken
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2009
        I'll echo that advice.
        I once took a video transmitter back to Dick Smiths because it wasn't
        working. I was a bit embarrassed when the sales guy asked if I'd turned on
        the tiny power switch I failed to see. (Black switch on black case, tucked
        away.)
        Though I doubt your weatherstation would have a power switch.
        Of course the other possibility is that the batteries you've put in are
        actually flat/crook.
        And make sure you use alkaline batteries, or as someone else posted here,
        lithium.

        Ken.

        2009/8/2 Richard Curley <mcurley@...>

        > On Saturday 01 August 2009 10:39:17 am Joey wrote:
        > > Hello all,
        > > New to the group and I have a quick question. I just bought this
        > > weather station and cannot get the base unit to see the
        > > hydrometer/transmitter. I think that the transmitter might be bad
        > > right out of the box. It is a 915mhz transmitter, I used my ham
        > > equipment to try to pick up on the signal from it sitting right next to
        > > it and not even a chirp. Would anyone know how to tell if the sensor
        > > is bad, since it has the wind and rain sensors hooked to it do they
        > > both have to be plugged in for it to transmit back to the station? I
        > > would love to get it working. Looks like I may be back to the store
        > > with it.
        > >
        > No, you should see Outdoor temp and Humidity with nothing plugged in.
        > Double check that you installed the batteries correctly. We all make
        > that stupid mistake time to time.
        >
        > Luck
        >
        > --
        > Merv Curley
        > Toronto, Ont.Can
        >
        > Linux PCLinuxOS 2009
        > KDE v. 3.5.10
        > Kmail v. 1.9.9

      • Richard Curley
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1, 2009
          On Saturday 01 August 2009 10:39:17 am Joey wrote:
          > Hello all,
          > New to the group and I have a quick question. I just bought this
          > weather station and cannot get the base unit to see the
          > hydrometer/transmitter. I think that the transmitter might be bad
          > right out of the box. It is a 915mhz transmitter, I used my ham
          > equipment to try to pick up on the signal from it sitting right next to
          > it and not even a chirp. Would anyone know how to tell if the sensor
          > is bad, since it has the wind and rain sensors hooked to it do they
          > both have to be plugged in for it to transmit back to the station? I
          > would love to get it working. Looks like I may be back to the store
          > with it.

          No, you should see Outdoor temp and Humidity with nothing plugged in.
          Double check that you installed the batteries correctly. We all make
          that stupid mistake time to time.

          Luck

          --
          Merv Curley
          Toronto, Ont.Can

          Linux PCLinuxOS 2009
          KDE v. 3.5.10
          Kmail v. 1.9.9
        • J Harrell
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 6, 2009
            Thanks for all the replies. Well I am still having problems with the unit.
            I have tried resetting it several times over and over and still get the same
            results with no luck in working. I did find something interesting, I did go
            out and buy another station different model WS-1510-IT, and it does not see
            the transmitter unit either. However the base unit on the WS-1612CH-IT can
            see the transmitter for the 1510. The model numbers are different, I
            personally don't see what that has to do with it as long as the freqs are
            the same which there are. I contacted LaCrosse and they seem to think it is
            the base unit and not the transmitter, however I feel the other way around
            that. Makes me think the transmitter is bad, and yes batterys are in
            correctly and are new Alkalines that measure 1.6 volts on the meter. What
            do you guys think, really sounds like a transmitter issue, if it were the
            base it would have never picked up on the other transmitter correct? The
            1612 model uses the TX22U-IT transmitter. Anyone see this problem before?
            Need suggestions. I called LaCrosse and will have to call back to do a RMA
            looks like.

            Thanks,

            Joey