Re: [LacrosseWS] Re: ws-1613

  • Ken
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2008
      17 Fahrenheit?

      2008/12/1 Hank <n1ltv@...>

      > > I'm definitely going to have to build an anderson cage for it some
      > > time, right now I'm showing an outside tempo of 17 deg C and there's
      > > a frost on the ground... don't think so.
      >

      > I also don't think that kind of temperature elevation (huge)
      > could be solely due to insolation heating up the air temp.
      > sensor. Especially early in the morning and at this time
      > of year when solar radiation at your latitude is so weak.
      >
      > Better check some more temperature readings when the sensor
      > is in the shade, or at night.
      >
      > Hank

    • Terry
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 1, 2008
        17 Celcius, which is about 63 Deg Farenheit.

        --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, Ken
        <ken.wagnitz@...> wrote:

        > 17 Fahrenheit?
        >
        > 2008/12/1 Hank <n1ltv@...>
        > >
        > > > I'm definitely going to have to build an anderson cage for it
        some
        > > > time, right now I'm showing an outside tempo of 17 deg C and
        there's
        > > > a frost on the ground... don't think so.
        > >

        > > I also don't think that kind of temperature elevation (huge)
        > > could be solely due to insolation heating up the air temp.
        > > sensor. Especially early in the morning and at this time
        > > of year when solar radiation at your latitude is so weak.
        > >
        > > Better check some more temperature readings when the sensor
        > > is in the shade, or at night.
        > >
        > > Hank

      • Terry
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 1, 2008
          Dimitris;
          Thanks for the link to your project. I like your comparisson to the
          Stevenson screen. I also noticed some other variations to your
          screen/shield that other people built, but yours is the first I've
          seen with a fan. I suppose the ideal thing would be to run a low
          voltage fan off a solar cell or two so it runs when the sun is out
          and stops running at around sunset.

          --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, "petros0022"
          <petros0022@...> wrote:

          > Hi Terry
          > It is better to build a radiation shield with plastic dishes.
          > Look here i have a small project
          >
          > http://www.geocities.com/peristerimeteo/radiationshield.html
          >
          > Best regards from Greece
          > Dimitris
          > http://www.geocities/com/meteo19671967
          >

          > --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, "Terry"
          > <ve1trb@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Good Day! I'm just new to this group. I just got a ws-1613 which
          > they
          > > label as a "Professional Weather Center". I picked up this unit
          at
          > > clearance center here in Halifax Nova Scotia for $50.00, not a
          bad
          > > price I'd say. I had a different wireless unit before this one,
          > but it
          > > didn't have anywhere near the refresh rate that this unit has,
          and
          > kept
          > > on loosing cups off the wind speed unit so I finally just chucked
          > it in
          > > the garbage.
          > > On thing I'm amazed in is the instructions say the batteries
          will
          > last
          > > at least 12 months, but I'm having a hard time believing this.
          Any
          > > comments? With my old unit, the batteries lasted about 2 months
          if
          > > was lucky so I just built a solar charger for it.
          > > I don't see much info on this unit so I have no idea if it's an
          > older
          > > model or something that just didn't get much interest.
          > > I'm definitely going to have to build an anderson cage for it
          > some
          > > time, right now I'm showing an outside tempo of 17 deg C and
          > there's a
          > > frost on the ground... don't think so.

        • petros0022
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 2, 2008
            Hi Terry ,yes you are correct better it will to work with solar
            panel but here to Greece it is very few and very expensive yet ,and
            i have put a transformer 12 Vdc .
            The fan it work with 12 Vdc 170 mA about it is small current and
            with solar panell 5 watts it work with any problems.
            Fan it is necessary here to Greece because at summertime with hot
            and low winds it if do not have fan it show 3 C more the normal !!! .
            The winter with sun it show only 0,5 c - 1 c more the normal with
            out fan.