Re: [LacrosseWS] False WS-2310 rain readings

  • David Brukman
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 2, 2008
      --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, "David Brukman"
      <wunderground@...> wrote:

      > --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, Ken
      > <ken.wagnitz@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Checking the position of the bucket to see if it has moved only
      > gives you a
      > > 50% chance of catching it out.
      > > Put a piece of wire down the rain sensor hole to lock the bucket in
      > place,
      > > and see if the readings still advance.
      > That sounds like a good approach.
      > I stuck in the wire--now let's see what I get over the next couple of
      > days. Thanks, Ken.
      Doug has also suggested unplugging the rain cable to help isolate the
      problem. That sounds very sensible, but I am beginning to suspect the
      problem is in the rain sensor, and it's mechanical. So far, it's been
      3 days since I stuck a wire to prevent the tipping bucket from tipping.

      So far 3 days without the afternoon "rain spikes". I will give it one
      more day before concluding that's where the problem lies.
    • gliderguider_au
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 5, 2008
        I wonder if the support pole for the rain sensor can move in the wind and shake the bucket?

        Stuart

        > > Checking the position of the bucket to see if it has moved only
        > gives you a
        > > 50% chance of catching it out.
        > > Put a piece of wire down the rain sensor hole to lock the bucket in
        > place,
        > > and see if the readings still advance.
        > That sounds like a good approach.
        > I stuck in the wire--now let's see what I get over the next couple of
        > days. Thanks, Ken.
        Doug has also suggested unplugging the rain cable to help isolate the
        problem. That sounds very sensible, but I am beginning to suspect the
        problem is in the rain sensor, and it's mechanical. So far, it's been
        3 days since I stuck a wire to prevent the tipping bucket from tipping.

        So far 3 days without the afternoon "rain spikes". I will give it one
        more day before concluding that's where the problem lies.

      • tortelli2
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 5, 2008
          --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, "gliderguider_au"
          <gliderguider_au@...> wrote:

          > I wonder if the support pole for the rain sensor can move in the
          wind and shake the bucket?

          > Stuart

          In my station ws2300 this problem (rain on display but no rain from
          sky..) is caused to electrical interference of near VHF antenna
          trasmitter.
          The final solution is a little capacitor of 4,7 nf in parallel of rain
          sensor (reed switch) not on the box of pluviometer but on the plug
          into box of 2 battery.
          Mario iw4enl
        • Ken
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 5, 2008
            I wonder if threading the cable through a toroid or ferrite core would help
            too, Mario.
            That way, you wouldn't need to pull the rain sensor apart, and would need to
            be able (or have the facilities) to solder.

            Ken.

            > In my station ws2300 this problem (rain on display but no rain from
            > sky..) is caused to electrical interference of near VHF antenna
            > trasmitter.
            > The final solution is a little capacitor of 4,7 nf in parallel of rain
            > sensor (reed switch) not on the box of pluviometer but on the plug
            > into box of 2 battery.
            > Mario iw4enl

          • petros0022
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 6, 2008
              Hello Mario and thank you, if i understand well ,you suggest to put
              the small capacitor 4,7 nF inside to out thermo/hygro sensor
              paralell at rain cable

              http://i27.servimg.com/u/f27/11/22/64/62/sensor10.jpg

              And not to put the capacitor here paralell to reed swich

              http://i33.servimg.com/u/f33/11/22/64/62/rain1510.jpg

              This days and i observed suddenly false rain data in my 2300 !!!!!!
              little 0,5 mm about ,i have wired conection (cable) but i observed
              false rain without clouds in the sky ,this i observe it 2 times in 3
              days,i put a piece heavy aluminium over to tipping bucket for it is
              stable ,but the other day i observe it again the same false rain .At
              problem it is not from tipping bucket .
              I am little confused because i use wired conection and not wireless
              for it is from interferences .

              i will try to put a small capacitors 4,7 nF for to see if there is
              any differents ,but i do not think because i use wired mode .
              anyway we must to experiment for to we found the solution.

              Best regards from Greece
              Dimitris
              http://www.geocities.com/meteo19671967

              > In my station ws2300 this problem (rain on display but no rain from
              > sky..) is caused to electrical interference of near VHF antenna
              > trasmitter.
              > The final solution is a little capacitor of 4,7 nf in parallel of
              rain
              > sensor (reed switch) not on the box of pluviometer but on the plug
              > into box of 2 battery.
              > Mario iw4enl

            • Ken
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 6, 2008
                Dimitris,

                The capacitor Mario has added is to stop interference on the cable from the
                rain sensor (reed switch) to the thermo unit. I think whether you are are
                wired or wireless from the thermo unit to the console is irrelevant.

                The manufacturer probably should have added a small capacitor like that to
                the circuit.

                Ken.

                2008/9/6 petros0022 <petros0022@...>

                > Hello Mario and thank you, if i understand well ,you suggest to put
                > the small capacitor 4,7 nF inside to out thermo/hygro sensor
                > paralell at rain cable
                >
                > http://i27.servimg.com/u/f27/11/22/64/62/sensor10.jpg
                >
                > And not to put the capacitor here paralell to reed swich
                >
                > http://i33.servimg.com/u/f33/11/22/64/62/rain1510.jpg
                >
                > This days and i observed suddenly false rain data in my 2300 !!!!!!
                > little 0,5 mm about ,i have wired conection (cable) but i observed
                > false rain without clouds in the sky ,this i observe it 2 times in 3
                > days,i put a piece heavy aluminium over to tipping bucket for it is
                > stable ,but the other day i observe it again the same false rain .At
                > problem it is not from tipping bucket .
                > I am little confused because i use wired conection and not wireless
                > for it is from interferences .
                >
                > i will try to put a small capacitors 4,7 nF for to see if there is
                > any differents ,but i do not think because i use wired mode .
                > anyway we must to experiment for to we found the solution.
                >

                > Best regards from Greece
                > Dimitris
                > http://www.geocities.com/meteo19671967
                >

                > > In my station ws2300 this problem (rain on display but no rain from
                > > sky..) is caused to electrical interference of near VHF antenna
                > > trasmitter.
                > > The final solution is a little capacitor of 4,7 nf in parallel of
                > rain
                > > sensor (reed switch) not on the box of pluviometer but on the plug
                > > into box of 2 battery.
                > > Mario iw4enl

              • petros0022
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 7, 2008
                  Thank you Ken i understand it .
                  But one weather friend from UK said to me,probably at reed switch
                  the gold plating maybe falling off and causing a trembling contact.
                  And for this reason i will replace the reed switch and i will see if
                  fix this problem .
                  The badly is false readings it is not every day ,and it take time
                  until i am sure the problem is fixed .

                  <ken.wagnitz@...> wrote:

                  > Dimitris,
                  >
                  > The capacitor Mario has added is to stop interference on the cable
                  from the
                  > rain sensor (reed switch) to the thermo unit. I think whether you
                  are are
                  > wired or wireless from the thermo unit to the console is
                  irrelevant.

                  > The manufacturer probably should have added a small capacitor like
                  that to
                  > the circuit.
                  >
                  > Ken.

                • Rich Brunnworth
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 7, 2008
                    I've never heard of gold plating dropping off the contacts on a reed
                    switch. Now maybe the contacts are becoming pitted and not making full
                    contact with each other, but at such low operating currents I doubt that.

                    Rich

                    --
                    Rich
                  • petros0022
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 7, 2008
                      Rich i thing it is possible to become,years by years thousand open-
                      closed (short circuit) some little electrical arc will become inside
                      at gold plating ,anyway the only sure answer will it is the result
                      when i replace it .

                      --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, Rich Brunnworth
                      <ibbrunnie@...> wrote:

                      > I've never heard of gold plating dropping off the contacts on a
                      reed
                      > switch. Now maybe the contacts are becoming pitted and not making
                      full
                      > contact with each other, but at such low operating currents I
                      doubt that.

                      > Rich

                    • tortelli2
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 8, 2008
                        --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, "petros0022"
                        <petros0022@...> wrote:

                        > Hello Mario and thank you, if i understand well ,you suggest to put
                        > the small capacitor 4,7 nF inside to out thermo/hygro sensor
                        > paralell at rain cable
                        >
                        > http://i27.servimg.com/u/f27/11/22/64/62/sensor10.jpg
                        >
                        > And not to put the capacitor here paralell to reed swich
                        >
                        > http://i33.servimg.com/u/f33/11/22/64/62/rain1510.jpg
                        >
                        > This days and i observed suddenly false rain data in my 2300 !!!!!!
                        > little 0,5 mm about ,i have wired conection (cable) but i observed
                        > false rain without clouds in the sky ,this i observe it 2 times in 3
                        > days,i put a piece heavy aluminium over to tipping bucket for it is
                        > stable ,but the other day i observe it again the same false rain .At
                        > problem it is not from tipping bucket .
                        > I am little confused because i use wired conection and not wireless
                        > for it is from interferences .
                        >
                        > i will try to put a small capacitors 4,7 nF for to see if there is
                        > any differents ,but i do not think because i use wired mode .
                        > anyway we must to experiment for to we found the solution.
                        >

                        > Best regards from Greece
                        > Dimitris
                        > http://www.geocities.com/meteo19671967

                        Yes Dimitris,you have understand well:
                        http://i27.servimg.com/u/f27/11/22/64/62/sensor10.jpg
                        If you rotate the little board with 3 plug,where are the weld pin of
                        plug of cable from rain sensor,here i have applied the little
                        capacitor (4,7 nf 50 volt) to only 2 pin connected with circuit (all 4
                        pin are weld into the printed circuit).
                        Now (1 year over) rain is good:):)
                        Mario iw4enl
                      • petros0022
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 9, 2008
                          Thank you Mario,but my problem it was from reed switch,where i
                          replace it and all is ok now because i use cable conection ,but i
                          will have in my mind the capacitor if i use anytime the wirelles
                          conection .

                          Best regards from Greece
                          Dimitris
                          http://www.ceocities.com/meteo19671967