Re: WS-2317U Rain Gauge - HELP!

  • Ian Steer
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 3, 2008
      correct - shorting the outer 2 wires coming from the thermo-hygro
      unit should register rain. Note that it can take several minutes for
      the rain to appear on the console - so be patient !

      Ian

      --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, "Steven J. Marty"

      http://members.iinet.net.au/~isteer/TechnicalNotes/TechnicalNotesIndex
      > > .htm
      > >
      > > Ian
      > >

      > > --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, "Steven J.
      Marty"
      > > <sjmarty@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hello,
      > > >
      > > > I purchased a WS-2317U in June, 2007.
      > > >
      > > > SITING: I extended a PVC vent pipe on my roof about five feet
      and
      > > > mounted the anemometer to the top of the PVC pipe. I purchased
      this
      > > > mounting shelf for my rain gauge
      > > > http://www.ambientweather.com/wsandwswestr.html and mounted it
      > > the
      > > > fascia. I mounted the thermo-hygrometer to a downspout under my
      > > > eaves. I am running wireless communication to the base unit. I
      am
      > > > uploaded to Weather Underground using WUHU. My station is
      KFLFRUIT4.

      > > > I noticed about two or three months ago that my rain gauge
      wasn't
      > > > registering rain any longer. I e-mailed La Crosse support and
      they
      > > > wanted me to send the rain gauge and thermo-hygrometer in for
      > > > inspection/repair. Since that would mean tearing everything
      apart, I
      > > > decided just to purchase a new rain gauge (I'm pretty proud of
      my
      > > wire
      > > > management). My plan was to use telephone line couplers and just
      > > > splice the new one in.
      > > >
      > > > I got the new rain gauge but before installing it, I wanted to
      > > > double-check everything. First, I unplugged the existing rain
      gauge
      > > > from the thermo-hygrometer and plugged the new one in. I
      manually
      > > > tipped it 10-20 times. I checked the console and rain
      registered. I
      > > > plugged the old one back in and then, I went up on the roof. I
      > > > checked level of the existing rain gauge. It was level. I took
      the
      > > > cover off and manually tipped it 10-20 times. I checked the
      console
      > > > and no rain was registering. I then shorted the two solder
      joints on
      > > > the back of the circuit board (where the yellow and brown wires
      go)
      > > > with a screwdriver. Rain then registered on the console. So, I
      > > > figured I had diagnosed OK and the reed switch was bad.
      > > >
      > > > I cut the wire for the old gauge and that went to the
      > > > thermo-hygrometer. I cut the excess wire off of the new rain
      gauge
      > > > until it was the right length. I then used these connectors from
      > > > Radio Shack to connect yellow to yellow and brown to brown
      > > > http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?
      > > productId=2062793&cp=2032058.2032231\
      > > > .2032283&parentPage=family.
      > > >
      > > > Now, after all of that, I am not registering rain with the NEW
      rain
      > > > gauge! I'm not sure what I did wrong. Can anyone help with
      > > > diagnostics? I'd sure appreciate it.
      > > >
      > > > -Steve

    • gliderguider_au
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 3, 2008
        The rain gauge measures rain in 4 minute increments, so it could take up to 4 minutes to see rain appear. Each tip of the bucket is apparently .518mm of rain. This isn't what the Lacrosse manual says but what I have confirmed using Virtual Weather Station and a manual rain gauge to check against.

        Stuart

        <sjmarty@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > > and no rain was registering. I then shorted the two solder
        joints on
        > > > the back of the circuit board (where the yellow and brown wires
        go)
        > > > with a screwdriver. Rain then registered on the console. So, I
        > > > figured I had diagnosed OK and the reed switch was bad.
        > > >
        > > > I cut the wire for the old gauge and that went to the
        > > > thermo-hygrometer. I cut the excess wire off of the new rain
        gauge
        > > > until it was the right length. I then used these connectors from
        > > > Radio Shack to connect yellow to yellow and brown to brown
        > > > http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?
        > > productId=2062793&cp=2032058.2032231\
        > > > .2032283&parentPage=family.
        > > >
        > > > Now, after all of that, I am not registering rain with the NEW
        rain
        > > > gauge! I'm not sure what I did wrong. Can anyone help with

      • Grant Gardner
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 3, 2008
          Hi all,

          The 0.518 figure is mentioned in on page 17 of my WS2307 manual under
          "10. Resetting and Factory settings", which led me to believe that
          somewhere in the station memory this figure was stored as a calibration
          value.

          Co-incidentally we have a gap in the memory map
          http://www.lavrsen.dk/twiki/bin/view/Open2300/OpenWSMemoryMap
          between humidity and the rain count area at 0x0437 - 0x0439

          The value stored there is 6,0,2 = 0x206 = 518, ie the number of
          micrometres of rain per bucket tip!.

          Given it is not currently raining, and my ws2307 is on my roof, would
          someone care to test changing the value at this location and seeing what
          the console does in terms of rain increments.

          Also, to clear up something from the post below, the recordings for the
          1HR rainfall counter are indeed in four minute blocks, however the most
          recent block is updated every time the station takes a reading from the
          remote sensors, as is the total value displayed on the console. In wired
          mode this is every 8 seconds, in wireless mode it is between 32 and 128
          seconds depending on the current wind speed.

          Cheers,
          Grant.