Re: WS-2317U Rain Gauge - HELP!

  • Steven J. Marty
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 29, 2008
      Thanks for the reply.

      Yes, the yellow and brown are the outer ones. The red and green I
      just snipped short like the wire that connects to the reed switch
      inside the rain gauge.

      If I want to check the wiring, can I disconnect where I spliced and
      just short the two wires coming from the thermo-hygrometer? That
      should register rain, correct?

      --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Steer"
      <steerage250@...> wrote:

      > I can't remember the colour coding in the cable - are the yellow and
      > brown wires the outer conductors in the cable ? (because they are
      > the ones you need - the inner two aren't used).
      >
      > I've got a few notes about the WS3600 rain gauge (which I'm guessing
      > is the same as yours) at
      > http://members.iinet.net.au/~isteer/TechnicalNotes/TechnicalNotesIndex
      > .htm
      >
      > Ian
      >

      > --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, "Steven J. Marty"
      > <sjmarty@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello,
      > >
      > > I purchased a WS-2317U in June, 2007.
      > >
      > > SITING: I extended a PVC vent pipe on my roof about five feet and
      > > mounted the anemometer to the top of the PVC pipe. I purchased this
      > > mounting shelf for my rain gauge
      > > http://www.ambientweather.com/wsandwswestr.html and mounted it to
      > the
      > > fascia. I mounted the thermo-hygrometer to a downspout under my
      > > eaves. I am running wireless communication to the base unit. I am
      > > uploaded to Weather Underground using WUHU. My station is KFLFRUIT4.
      > >
      > > I noticed about two or three months ago that my rain gauge wasn't
      > > registering rain any longer. I e-mailed La Crosse support and they
      > > wanted me to send the rain gauge and thermo-hygrometer in for
      > > inspection/repair. Since that would mean tearing everything apart, I
      > > decided just to purchase a new rain gauge (I'm pretty proud of my
      > wire
      > > management). My plan was to use telephone line couplers and just
      > > splice the new one in.
      > >
      > > I got the new rain gauge but before installing it, I wanted to
      > > double-check everything. First, I unplugged the existing rain gauge
      > > from the thermo-hygrometer and plugged the new one in. I manually
      > > tipped it 10-20 times. I checked the console and rain registered. I
      > > plugged the old one back in and then, I went up on the roof. I
      > > checked level of the existing rain gauge. It was level. I took the
      > > cover off and manually tipped it 10-20 times. I checked the console
      > > and no rain was registering. I then shorted the two solder joints on
      > > the back of the circuit board (where the yellow and brown wires go)
      > > with a screwdriver. Rain then registered on the console. So, I
      > > figured I had diagnosed OK and the reed switch was bad.
      > >
      > > I cut the wire for the old gauge and that went to the
      > > thermo-hygrometer. I cut the excess wire off of the new rain gauge
      > > until it was the right length. I then used these connectors from
      > > Radio Shack to connect yellow to yellow and brown to brown
      > > http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?
      > productId=2062793&cp=2032058.2032231\
      > > .2032283&parentPage=family.
      > >
      > > Now, after all of that, I am not registering rain with the NEW rain
      > > gauge! I'm not sure what I did wrong. Can anyone help with
      > > diagnostics? I'd sure appreciate it.
      > >
      > > -Steve

    • Ian Steer
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 3, 2008
        correct - shorting the outer 2 wires coming from the thermo-hygro
        unit should register rain. Note that it can take several minutes for
        the rain to appear on the console - so be patient !

        <sjmarty@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > > and no rain was registering. I then shorted the two solder
        joints on
        > > > the back of the circuit board (where the yellow and brown wires
        go)
        > > > with a screwdriver. Rain then registered on the console. So, I
        > > > figured I had diagnosed OK and the reed switch was bad.
        > > >
        > > > I cut the wire for the old gauge and that went to the
        > > > thermo-hygrometer. I cut the excess wire off of the new rain
        gauge
        > > > until it was the right length. I then used these connectors from
        > > > Radio Shack to connect yellow to yellow and brown to brown
        > > > http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?
        > > productId=2062793&cp=2032058.2032231\
        > > > .2032283&parentPage=family.
        > > >
        > > > Now, after all of that, I am not registering rain with the NEW
        rain
        > > > gauge! I'm not sure what I did wrong. Can anyone help with

      • gliderguider_au
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 3, 2008
          The rain gauge measures rain in 4 minute increments, so it could take up to 4 minutes to see rain appear. Each tip of the bucket is apparently .518mm of rain. This isn't what the Lacrosse manual says but what I have confirmed using Virtual Weather Station and a manual rain gauge to check against.

          Stuart

          <sjmarty@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > > and no rain was registering. I then shorted the two solder
          joints on
          > > > the back of the circuit board (where the yellow and brown wires
          go)
          > > > with a screwdriver. Rain then registered on the console. So, I
          > > > figured I had diagnosed OK and the reed switch was bad.
          > > >
          > > > I cut the wire for the old gauge and that went to the
          > > > thermo-hygrometer. I cut the excess wire off of the new rain
          gauge
          > > > until it was the right length. I then used these connectors from
          > > > Radio Shack to connect yellow to yellow and brown to brown
          > > > http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?
          > > productId=2062793&cp=2032058.2032231\
          > > > .2032283&parentPage=family.
          > > >
          > > > Now, after all of that, I am not registering rain with the NEW
          rain
          > > > gauge! I'm not sure what I did wrong. Can anyone help with

        • Grant Gardner
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 3, 2008
            Hi all,

            The 0.518 figure is mentioned in on page 17 of my WS2307 manual under
            "10. Resetting and Factory settings", which led me to believe that
            somewhere in the station memory this figure was stored as a calibration
            value.

            Co-incidentally we have a gap in the memory map
            http://www.lavrsen.dk/twiki/bin/view/Open2300/OpenWSMemoryMap
            between humidity and the rain count area at 0x0437 - 0x0439

            The value stored there is 6,0,2 = 0x206 = 518, ie the number of
            micrometres of rain per bucket tip!.

            Given it is not currently raining, and my ws2307 is on my roof, would
            someone care to test changing the value at this location and seeing what
            the console does in terms of rain increments.

            Also, to clear up something from the post below, the recordings for the
            1HR rainfall counter are indeed in four minute blocks, however the most
            recent block is updated every time the station takes a reading from the
            remote sensors, as is the total value displayed on the console. In wired
            mode this is every 8 seconds, in wireless mode it is between 32 and 128
            seconds depending on the current wind speed.

            Cheers,
            Grant.