Re: [LacrosseWS] Lacrosse Weather Station on sale at Sam's Clubs

  • Doug Braun
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 1, 2008
      Maybe some enterprising owner will open up one of
      these and discover an unused connection for a data
      port...

      Doug

      My weather station:

      http://dougbert.is-a-geek.com:8080/Weather

      --- Hank <n1ltv@...> wrote:

      > > Does this unit support computer data
      > collection/distribution?
      >
      > That means no computer port at all on this one.

    • Doug Braun
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 1, 2008
        Another interesting question is this:

        Will the sensors of this unit transmit data to a 2300
        (or other) series base station? If and when my 2317
        sensors fall apart, I maybe could buy this new model
        as a replacement...

        Doug
      • Dave
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 1, 2008
          A better deal ??? ...

          http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Touch-Screen-Weather-Station/2888282/product.html

          --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, Doug Braun
          <doug@...> wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > Here is a description of the WS that is currently on
          > sale at (at least some) Sam's Clubs. This was
          > originally written by Gary Wilson, K2GW.

          > FYI. I just installed a very nice weather station
          > that I picked up at Sam's Club in Lawrenceville for
          > $80, a remarkable price. Amazon.com sells it for
          > $150. It was against the wall near the milk with the
          > closeout stuff and figured others might want to know
          > about it, especially those in SkyWarn. I've had a
          > cheaper Lacrosse 430 MHz unit without a wind vane or
          > pressure readout for three years and that's still
          > going strong, so I expect this one to last as well.
          >

          > It's the La Crosse Technology Professional Weather
          > Station (model WS-1515u-IT) Combo. It operates on
          > 915, 920 or 910 MHz and I can't even detect it s
          > signals with a scanner on its assigned frequency, let
          > alone find any interference on any other bands. But
          > it still gets all of the outside data, so that's what
          > counts.
          >

          > Features include:
          >

          > Wind speed and direction
          >
          > Wind chill
          >
          > Rainfall with resetable total and 24 hour total
          >
          > 5 weather alarms settable for wind speed, temperature
          > barometric, or rainfall thresholds
          >
          > Forecast icons based on wind direction and barometric
          > tendency
          >
          > Outdoor temperature and humidity/ dew point
          >
          > Barometric pressure readout and history graph
          >
          > Storm warning alarm
          >
          > Time with alarm
          >
          > Date with calendar
          >
          > And it stores all data every 3 hours for over 15 days!
          >

          > It also comes with a small second receiver which
          > displays outdoor temperature and humidity, indoor
          > temperature and time. I use this one in my shack to
          > show the outside air temperature in Celsius for DX
          > QSO's.
          >

          > It's item number #799179
          >

          > http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=373883
          >

          > There are two downsides, but considering the price
          > I'll put up with them. First, it took me a half hour
          > to cut it out of its blister packaging! And the other
          > is it has no computer output for interfacing to APRS,
          > etc. But for ¼ the price of similar units, I'll
          > accept it.

        • Ken
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 1, 2008
            Might be if it was in stock.

            On 02/02/2008, Dave <d_steinberg@...> wrote:
            > A better deal ??? ...
            >
            > http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Touch-Screen-Weather-Station/2888282/product.html
            >

            > --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, Doug Braun
            > <doug@...> wrote:
            > >

            > > Hello,
            > >
            > > Here is a description of the WS that is currently on
            > > sale at (at least some) Sam's Clubs. This was
            > > originally written by Gary Wilson, K2GW.

            > > FYI. I just installed a very nice weather station
            > > that I picked up at Sam's Club in Lawrenceville for
            > > $80, a remarkable price. Amazon.com sells it for
            > > $150. It was against the wall near the milk with the
            > > closeout stuff and figured others might want to know
            > > about it, especially those in SkyWarn. I've had a
            > > cheaper Lacrosse 430 MHz unit without a wind vane or
            > > pressure readout for three years and that's still
            > > going strong, so I expect this one to last as well.
            > >

            > > It's the La Crosse Technology Professional Weather
            > > Station (model WS-1515u-IT) Combo. It operates on
            > > 915, 920 or 910 MHz and I can't even detect it s
            > > signals with a scanner on its assigned frequency, let
            > > alone find any interference on any other bands. But
            > > it still gets all of the outside data, so that's what
            > > counts.
            > >

            > > Features include:
            > >

            > > Wind speed and direction
            > >
            > > Wind chill
            > >
            > > Rainfall with resetable total and 24 hour total
            > >
            > > 5 weather alarms settable for wind speed, temperature
            > > barometric, or rainfall thresholds
            > >
            > > Forecast icons based on wind direction and barometric
            > > tendency
            > >
            > > Outdoor temperature and humidity/ dew point
            > >
            > > Barometric pressure readout and history graph
            > >
            > > Storm warning alarm
            > >
            > > Time with alarm
            > >
            > > Date with calendar
            > >
            > > And it stores all data every 3 hours for over 15 days!
            > >

            > > It also comes with a small second receiver which
            > > displays outdoor temperature and humidity, indoor
            > > temperature and time. I use this one in my shack to
            > > show the outside air temperature in Celsius for DX
            > > QSO's.
            > >

            > > It's item number #799179
            > >

            > > http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=373883
            > >

            > > There are two downsides, but considering the price
            > > I'll put up with them. First, it took me a half hour
            > > to cut it out of its blister packaging! And the other
            > > is it has no computer output for interfacing to APRS,
            > > etc. But for ¼ the price of similar units, I'll
            > > accept it.
            > >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Brian Babey
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 1, 2008
              Ive seen it cheaper but how low does the thermometer go on this model?? Mine (2315) only goes to -21.8 F and here in Minnesota that isnt low enough!

              <doug@...> wrote:

              > Hello,
              >
              > Here is a description of the WS that is currently on
              > sale at (at least some) Sam's Clubs. This was
              > originally written by Gary Wilson, K2GW.

              > FYI. I just installed a very nice weather station
              > that I picked up at Sam's Club in Lawrenceville for
              > $80, a remarkable price. Amazon.com sells it for
              > $150. It was against the wall near the milk with the
              > closeout stuff and figured others might want to know
              > about it, especially those in SkyWarn. I've had a
              > cheaper Lacrosse 430 MHz unit without a wind vane or
              > pressure readout for three years and that's still
              > going strong, so I expect this one to last as well.
              >

              > It's the La Crosse Technology Professional Weather
              > Station (model WS-1515u-IT) Combo. It operates on
              > 915, 920 or 910 MHz and I can't even detect it s
              > signals with a scanner on its assigned frequency, let
              > alone find any interference on any other bands. But
              > it still gets all of the outside data, so that's what
              > counts.
              >

              > Features include:
              >

              > Wind speed and direction
              >
              > Wind chill
              >
              > Rainfall with resetable total and 24 hour total
              >
              > 5 weather alarms settable for wind speed, temperature
              > barometric, or rainfall thresholds
              >
              > Forecast icons based on wind direction and barometric
              > tendency
              >
              > Outdoor temperature and humidity/ dew point
              >
              > Barometric pressure readout and history graph
              >
              > Storm warning alarm
              >
              > Time with alarm
              >
              > Date with calendar
              >
              > And it stores all data every 3 hours for over 15 days!
              >

              > It also comes with a small second receiver which
              > displays outdoor temperature and humidity, indoor
              > temperature and time. I use this one in my shack to
              > show the outside air temperature in Celsius for DX
              > QSO's.
              >

              > It's item number #799179
              >

              > http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=373883
              >

              > There are two downsides, but considering the price
              > I'll put up with them. First, it took me a half hour
              > to cut it out of its blister packaging! And the other
              > is it has no computer output for interfacing to APRS,
              > etc. But for ¼ the price of similar units, I'll
              > accept it.

            • Brian Babey
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 1, 2008
                64.99$
                http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2906602

                Ken <ken.wagnitz@...> wrote:
                Might be if it was in stock.

                On 02/02/2008, Dave <d_steinberg@...> wrote:
                > A better deal ??? ...
                >
                > http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Touch-Screen-Weather-Station/2888282/product.html
                >

                > --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, Doug Braun
                > <doug@...> wrote:
                > >

                > > Hello,
                > >
                > > Here is a description of the WS that is currently on
                > > sale at (at least some) Sam's Clubs. This was
                > > originally written by Gary Wilson, K2GW.

                > > FYI. I just installed a very nice weather station
                > > that I picked up at Sam's Club in Lawrenceville for
                > > $80, a remarkable price. Amazon.com sells it for
                > > $150. It was against the wall near the milk with the
                > > closeout stuff and figured others might want to know
                > > about it, especially those in SkyWarn. I've had a
                > > cheaper Lacrosse 430 MHz unit without a wind vane or
                > > pressure readout for three years and that's still
                > > going strong, so I expect this one to last as well.
                > >

                > > It's the La Crosse Technology Professional Weather
                > > Station (model WS-1515u-IT) Combo. It operates on
                > > 915, 920 or 910 MHz and I can't even detect it s
                > > signals with a scanner on its assigned frequency, let
                > > alone find any interference on any other bands. But
                > > it still gets all of the outside data, so that's what
                > > counts.
                > >

                > > Features include:
                > >

                > > Wind speed and direction
                > >
                > > Wind chill
                > >
                > > Rainfall with resetable total and 24 hour total
                > >
                > > 5 weather alarms settable for wind speed, temperature
                > > barometric, or rainfall thresholds
                > >
                > > Forecast icons based on wind direction and barometric
                > > tendency
                > >
                > > Outdoor temperature and humidity/ dew point
                > >
                > > Barometric pressure readout and history graph
                > >
                > > Storm warning alarm
                > >
                > > Time with alarm
                > >
                > > Date with calendar
                > >
                > > And it stores all data every 3 hours for over 15 days!
                > >

                > > It also comes with a small second receiver which
                > > displays outdoor temperature and humidity, indoor
                > > temperature and time. I use this one in my shack to
                > > show the outside air temperature in Celsius for DX
                > > QSO's.
                > >

                > > It's item number #799179
                > >

                > > http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=373883
                > >

                > > There are two downsides, but considering the price
                > > I'll put up with them. First, it took me a half hour
                > > to cut it out of its blister packaging! And the other
                > > is it has no computer output for interfacing to APRS,
                > > etc. But for ¼ the price of similar units, I'll
                > > accept it.

              • Ken
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 1, 2008
                  No rain measurement.

                  On 02/02/2008, Brian Babey <bri_babey@...> wrote:
                  > 64.99$
                  > http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2906602
                  >

                  > Ken <ken.wagnitz@...> wrote:
                  > Might be if it was in stock.
                  >
                  > On 02/02/2008, Dave <d_steinberg@...> wrote:
                  > > A better deal ??? ...
                  > >
                  > > http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Touch-Screen-Weather-Station/2888282/product.html
                  > >

                  > > --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, Doug Braun
                  > > <doug@...> wrote:
                  > > >

                  > > > Hello,
                  > > >
                  > > > Here is a description of the WS that is currently on
                  > > > sale at (at least some) Sam's Clubs. This was
                  > > > originally written by Gary Wilson, K2GW.
                  > > >
                  > > > ***************************************************
                  > > >
                  > > > FYI. I just installed a very nice weather station
                  > > > that I picked up at Sam's Club in Lawrenceville for
                  > > > $80, a remarkable price. Amazon.com sells it for
                  > > > $150. It was against the wall near the milk with the
                  > > > closeout stuff and figured others might want to know
                  > > > about it, especially those in SkyWarn. I've had a
                  > > > cheaper Lacrosse 430 MHz unit without a wind vane or
                  > > > pressure readout for three years and that's still
                  > > > going strong, so I expect this one to last as well.
                  > > >

                  > > > It's the La Crosse Technology Professional Weather
                  > > > Station (model WS-1515u-IT) Combo. It operates on
                  > > > 915, 920 or 910 MHz and I can't even detect it s
                  > > > signals with a scanner on its assigned frequency, let
                  > > > alone find any interference on any other bands. But
                  > > > it still gets all of the outside data, so that's what
                  > > > counts.
                  > > >

                  > > > Features include:
                  > > >

                  > > > Wind speed and direction
                  > > >
                  > > > Wind chill
                  > > >
                  > > > Rainfall with resetable total and 24 hour total
                  > > >
                  > > > 5 weather alarms settable for wind speed, temperature
                  > > > barometric, or rainfall thresholds
                  > > >
                  > > > Forecast icons based on wind direction and barometric
                  > > > tendency
                  > > >
                  > > > Outdoor temperature and humidity/ dew point
                  > > >
                  > > > Barometric pressure readout and history graph
                  > > >
                  > > > Storm warning alarm
                  > > >
                  > > > Time with alarm
                  > > >
                  > > > Date with calendar
                  > > >
                  > > > And it stores all data every 3 hours for over 15 days!
                  > > >

                  > > > It also comes with a small second receiver which
                  > > > displays outdoor temperature and humidity, indoor
                  > > > temperature and time. I use this one in my shack to
                  > > > show the outside air temperature in Celsius for DX
                  > > > QSO's.
                  > > >

                  > > > It's item number #799179
                  > > >

                  > > > http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=373883
                  > > >

                  > > > There are two downsides, but considering the price
                  > > > I'll put up with them. First, it took me a half hour
                  > > > to cut it out of its blister packaging! And the other
                  > > > is it has no computer output for interfacing to APRS,
                  > > > etc. But for ¼ the price of similar units, I'll
                  > > > accept it.
                  > > >

                  > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • rowdy2600
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 1, 2008
                    It's in stock here and $5.00 cheaper -
                    http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2906602

                    --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, "Dave"
                    <d_steinberg@...> wrote:

                    > A better deal ??? ...

                    http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Touch-Screen-Weather-Station/2888282/product.html

                    > --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, Doug Braun
                    > <doug@> wrote:
                    > >

                    > > Hello,
                    > >
                    > > Here is a description of the WS that is currently on
                    > > sale at (at least some) Sam's Clubs. This was
                    > > originally written by Gary Wilson, K2GW.

                    > > FYI. I just installed a very nice weather station
                    > > that I picked up at Sam's Club in Lawrenceville for
                    > > $80, a remarkable price. Amazon.com sells it for
                    > > $150. It was against the wall near the milk with the
                    > > closeout stuff and figured others might want to know
                    > > about it, especially those in SkyWarn. I've had a
                    > > cheaper Lacrosse 430 MHz unit without a wind vane or
                    > > pressure readout for three years and that's still
                    > > going strong, so I expect this one to last as well.
                    > >

                    > > It's the La Crosse Technology Professional Weather
                    > > Station (model WS-1515u-IT) Combo. It operates on
                    > > 915, 920 or 910 MHz and I can't even detect it s
                    > > signals with a scanner on its assigned frequency, let
                    > > alone find any interference on any other bands. But
                    > > it still gets all of the outside data, so that's what
                    > > counts.
                    > >

                    > > Features include:
                    > >

                    > > Wind speed and direction
                    > >
                    > > Wind chill
                    > >
                    > > Rainfall with resetable total and 24 hour total
                    > >
                    > > 5 weather alarms settable for wind speed, temperature
                    > > barometric, or rainfall thresholds
                    > >
                    > > Forecast icons based on wind direction and barometric
                    > > tendency
                    > >
                    > > Outdoor temperature and humidity/ dew point
                    > >
                    > > Barometric pressure readout and history graph
                    > >
                    > > Storm warning alarm
                    > >
                    > > Time with alarm
                    > >
                    > > Date with calendar
                    > >
                    > > And it stores all data every 3 hours for over 15 days!
                    > >

                    > > It also comes with a small second receiver which
                    > > displays outdoor temperature and humidity, indoor
                    > > temperature and time. I use this one in my shack to
                    > > show the outside air temperature in Celsius for DX
                    > > QSO's.
                    > >

                    > > It's item number #799179
                    > >

                    > > http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=373883
                    > >

                    > > There are two downsides, but considering the price
                    > > I'll put up with them. First, it took me a half hour
                    > > to cut it out of its blister packaging! And the other
                    > > is it has no computer output for interfacing to APRS,
                    > > etc. But for � the price of similar units, I'll
                    > > accept it.

                  • Brian Babey
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 1, 2008
                      I have a coco rahs rain and snow gauge anyways i dont trust the accuracy of the lacrosse units.

                      Ken <ken.wagnitz@...> wrote: No rain measurement.

                    • Gary Wilson
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 2, 2008
                        --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, Brian Babey
                        <bri_babey@...> wrote:

                        > Ive seen it cheaper but how low does the thermometer go on this
                        model?? Mine (2315) only goes to -21.8 F and here in Minnesota that
                        isnt low enough!

                        The unit at Sam's club (1515U) specs its outdoor temperature range as
                        from -40 to +140 F with .2 deg resolution.

                        Also, as I stated it has no computer output, but does include a rain
                        gauge and an additional smaller indoor/outdoor temperature
                        receiver/clock for another room is included in the package. It all
                        runs on 915 MHz and refreshes temp/hydro/wind data every 4.5 seconds.

                        Also all of the data is constantly visible with only the less
                        frequently used rainfall, wind gust, and dewpoint displays needing one
                        momentary push of the set button. Obviously one needs to push buttons
                        to scroll through the max/mins and history.

                        73

                        Gary, K2GW