multiple rain registrations for WS3600

  • Ian Steer
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 5, 2007
      I noticed while testing my rain gauge after replacing the reed switch
      that dribbling water in caused the WS3600 to register mutiple
      registrations for a single tip of the buckets. With my multimeter
      connected, I could see the reed switch closing multiple times when it
      should have just closed once. It seemed OK if I just dripped water in
      one drop at a time.

      Now I have become aware of the problem, I notice it all the time.
      Whether it used to happen with the original reed switch - I don't know.

      Has anyone found a solution to this problem ?

      I'm thinking the best solution is to make a small electronic circuit
      between the rain gauge and the WS3600 that only repeats "legitimate"
      pulses to the WS3600 (ie filters-out the short pulses that could not
      possibly be correct). However, this seems like a lot of work to me.

      Anyone got a simpler solution ? (because this is really giving me the
      sh%$#@s now that I am aware of the problem!)
    • J.L. Blom
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 5, 2007
        Do you hear the swicht click multiple times?
        It looks like you have a bad switch which bounces.
        Joep

        On Wed, 2007-12-05 at 11:54 +0000, Ian Steer wrote:
        > I noticed while testing my rain gauge after replacing the reed switch
        > that dribbling water in caused the WS3600 to register mutiple
        > registrations for a single tip of the buckets. With my multimeter
        > connected, I could see the reed switch closing multiple times when it
        > should have just closed once. It seemed OK if I just dripped water in
        > one drop at a time.
        >
        > Now I have become aware of the problem, I notice it all the time.
        > Whether it used to happen with the original reed switch - I don't know.
        >
        > Has anyone found a solution to this problem ?
        >
        > I'm thinking the best solution is to make a small electronic circuit
        > between the rain gauge and the WS3600 that only repeats "legitimate"
        > pulses to the WS3600 (ie filters-out the short pulses that could not
        > possibly be correct). However, this seems like a lot of work to me.
        >
        > Anyone got a simpler solution ? (because this is really giving me the
        > sh%$#@s now that I am aware of the problem!)
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Ian Steer
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 1, 2008
          OK, I'll answer my own post after further investigation...

          I discovered that if the "see-saw" was slid close to the reed switch,
          the reed switch was not opening in one of the rest positions. It did
          open if the see-saw was slid to the other extent of its travel/slack
          (only 1mm or less of movement).

          Quite why this caused the multiple registrations, I'm not sure.
          Perhaps there was some horizontal movement as it hit the rest
          position.

          I tried moving the replacement reed switch 5mm further up to ensure
          the switch opened at rest, but found that the switch opened briefly
          at the mid point of travel (not good!).

          I eventually used a 10mm reed switch, and even that switch only just
          opens at one rest position with the see-saw close to the reed switch.

          I used a digital oscilloscope to check for switch bounce. With this
          reed switch, there is some bounce as the switch closes, but it is all
          over within 40uSecs. Switch opening is clean. With this reed
          switch, the switch is closed for between 110 and 150mSecs during the
          movement.

          I have tested it by dripping water in, and also by dribbling in at a
          high rate, and have observed no missed or multiple registrations.

          My recommendation to people replacing their reed switch is to test it
          very carefully with a multi-meter before putting it back in service.
          In particular:
          - test it with the see-saw up close to the reed switch, and far from
          the reed switch,
          - test it carefully to make sure the switch opens at rest with the
          see-saw close to the reed switch.

          Ian

          --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, "J.L. Blom"