Re: Question about weather station La crosse 3610 -3600

  • stevech11
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 2, 2007
      --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, "petros0022"
      <petros0022@...> wrote:

      > Hello from Greece
      > I like to ask you a question if you know the weather station La crosse
      > 3610 - 3600 in Europe, it have quality problems ??,because i want to
      > buy this weather station ,but i listen from somebody this weather
      > station have problems quality .
      > Do you know if this is really or wrong ???
      > Now i have the La crosse ws 2300 and i am very happy from it .
      >

      > Thank you

      I'm in the US and have had a 3600 for a year. If I had it to do over
      again, I'd wait until I could afford a Davis or some near-professional
      grade weather station. My complaints with the WS3600 are related to
      it's low cost:
      LCD is worthless. Cannot see display under most room lighting conditions.
      LCD backlight helps but cannot be permanently turned on.
      PC software hogs CPU time; cannot be left running.
      PC interface is DB9 serial but not really serial; data is sent by
      toggling the RTS/CTS/DTR/DCD lines in software which is why it is a
      CPU hog.
      Wind sensor reports are too infrequent to be useful.
      Wireless link loses synch ever few weeks and it is very difficult to
      restore.
      Perhaps 5% of the temperature and wind readings are bogus- absurd
      values that their firmware in the console does not prohibit. Like
      140mph wind and 160F temperatures.

      Other than this, I like it.
    • don_wa5ngp
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 2, 2007
        Hi Petros,
        what are the quality problems on 3610?

        I have the 2317 and while it usually works there are some issues.

        1. Due to long sample times the wind speed usually reported as too
        slow especially for high winds and gusty conditions. I don't think
        that anything can be done to fix this. If where you live the winds
        are not gusty then this is not a problem.

        2. It is sensitive to electrical noise so you may find that you have
        to use torroids and reroute cables to get suitable performance.

        3. You will need a computer with an old fashioned rs232 port or a
        specific usb to rs232 adapter.

        Having said all that, it is a really low cost way to get started. I
        only paid $100.

        I am a hopeless hardware tinkerer kind of person so don't mind the
        shortcomings since I like to play with it anyway.

        regards - 73
        Don - WA5NGP

        <petros0022@...> wrote:

        > Hello from Greece
        > I like to ask you a question if you know the weather station La crosse
        > 3610 - 3600 in Europe, it have quality problems ??,because i want to
        > buy this weather station ,but i listen from somebody this weather
        > station have problems quality .
        > Do you know if this is really or wrong ???
        > Now i have the La crosse ws 2300 and i am very happy from it .
        >

        > Thank you

      • don_wa5ngp
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 2, 2007
          Hey Steve, your resutls with the 3600 sound about like my 2317 results.

          The absurd wind values are due to noise that is induced into the wind
          sensor so if this happens to you a lot you might try
          1. reroute the widn sensor cable away from any other cables.
          2. Put a torroid on the cable going into wind sensor.

          I do not find it to be a cpu hog however. It runs on an old 200mhz
          latop running win2k and seems ok. However, I would say that to use
          the upload software you better be pretty pc savvy understanding ftp
          commands and unix/linux type filenames and folders. At least I had to
          with roadrunner. Perhaps the auto emailer is simpler.

          Same comments about the LCD screen. Since I copy everything up to the
          web anyway and we have wireless laptops around the house I just ck the
          status by looking at my homepage. The LCD is in the closet with the
          old laptop as a weather server.

          http://home.austin.rr.com/fuchik/index.html

          note that the wind speed is not there since I've got the sensor appart
          on my workbench and it appears that the baro pressure is not reading
          after I routed the sensor cable too close to my cable modem cable. So
          everything is work in progress as usual at my house.

          Not sure how much more the Davis stuff costs, but it does sound to be
          a step up.

          Personally, I'd like to have an old fashioned windgauge where you can
          see the needle swinging around during gusts.

          have fun
          Don

          -
          > Other than this, I like it.

        • Ken
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 2, 2007
            You've pretty well described the faults with my 2305, except that I
            don't find the backlight LEDs help in reading the LCD. But hey, what
            else is anywhere near the price?

            Ken.

            On 8/3/07, stevech11 <stevech@...> wrote:
            > --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, "petros0022"
            > <petros0022@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hello from Greece
            > > I like to ask you a question if you know the weather station La crosse
            > > 3610 - 3600 in Europe, it have quality problems ??,because i want to
            > > buy this weather station ,but i listen from somebody this weather
            > > station have problems quality .
            > > Do you know if this is really or wrong ???
            > > Now i have the La crosse ws 2300 and i am very happy from it .
            > >

            > > Thank you
            > >
            > I'm in the US and have had a 3600 for a year. If I had it to do over
            > again, I'd wait until I could afford a Davis or some near-professional
            > grade weather station. My complaints with the WS3600 are related to
            > it's low cost:
            > LCD is worthless. Cannot see display under most room lighting conditions.
            > LCD backlight helps but cannot be permanently turned on.
            > PC software hogs CPU time; cannot be left running.
            > PC interface is DB9 serial but not really serial; data is sent by
            > toggling the RTS/CTS/DTR/DCD lines in software which is why it is a
            > CPU hog.
            > Wind sensor reports are too infrequent to be useful.
            > Wireless link loses synch ever few weeks and it is very difficult to
            > restore.
            > Perhaps 5% of the temperature and wind readings are bogus- absurd
            > values that their firmware in the console does not prohibit. Like
            > 140mph wind and 160F temperatures.
            >
            > Other than this, I like it.
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • stevech11
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 2, 2007
              True - From what I read, the Oregon Scientific competitive low cost wx
              station is no better. La Crosse seems to be a distributor; that same
              product is sold under other brand names in other continents. It's just
              a small step up from child's-toy grade.

              I too never use the worthless LCD. My web server PC (in the garage)
              uses the open3600 software to read the current data in a half second
              then the program exits. I put that data in a log file and make HTML of
              it for my web server. Mine runs wireless and the wind sensors and
              temperature main-unit are all outside far away from interference
              sources that would get onto their cheesey phone cable.

              --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, Ken

            • endymion@lunalushede.org
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 2, 2007
                I must be one of the few who finds that my 2610 work just fine. I have
                experienced some weird rain sensor readings, but I think I may simply not
                have it mounted solidly enough.

                I'm running Weather Display and uploading to Weather Underground and
                several other national and global databases.

                Patrick

                > True - From what I read, the Oregon Scientific competitive low cost wx
                > station is no better. La Crosse seems to be a distributor; that same
                > product is sold under other brand names in other continents. It's just
                > a small step up from child's-toy grade.
                >
                > I too never use the worthless LCD. My web server PC (in the garage)
                > uses the open3600 software to read the current data in a half second
                > then the program exits. I put that data in a log file and make HTML of
                > it for my web server. Mine runs wireless and the wind sensors and
                > temperature main-unit are all outside far away from interference
                > sources that would get onto their cheesey phone cable.
                >

                > --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, Ken
                > <ken.wagnitz@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> You've pretty well described the faults with my 2305, except that I
                >> don't find the backlight LEDs help in reading the LCD. But hey, what
                >> else is anywhere near the price?
                >>
                >> Ken.
                >>

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • don_wa5ngp
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 3, 2007
                  Hi Dimitirs, good to meet you.
                  Well what you are describing is exactly right.

                  However, for the money its really a good way to get going unless you
                  are the kind of person that really demands everythig work properly all
                  the time and you don't have to spend any time tinkering.

                  I think that the biggest problem is related to the wireless mode where
                  they must save power to conserve battery life. In this mode the
                  samples are taken very infrequently, like every 15 minutes. Also to
                  save power the load impedances in the cables are very low and it makes
                  them subject to noise.

                  So as one poster said depending on your environment and expectations
                  you can get reasonable service. However, as most have said they
                  really did skimp on the LCD as its difficult to see very well and the
                  backlight doesn't really do much. I took mine back and exchanged a
                  couple of times thinking it was defective but they all are like that.
                  for some reason the contrast ratio is just really low.

                  But again, for !$100 what do you expect? I"m still enjoying tinkering
                  wiht mine.

                  The little rain sensor is a clever design. Its like a little childs
                  see-saw in there that rocks back an forth every 1/100 in of rain.
                  Clever and simple design. Only problem is that in Texas sometimes
                  spiders get in there and gum things up.

                  How much do they sell for in Greece? How much is the Davis higher
                  end model?

                  have fun
                  Don
                • Bill Krause
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 3, 2007
                    Dimitris,
                    You have an excellent web site. I am very impressed. I would
                    encourage others on the list to check it out.

                    Bill Krause

                  • Ken
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 3, 2007
                      You mean high, not low, Don.
                      What samples every 15 minutes are you referring to?

                      Ken.

                      On 8/3/07, don_wa5ngp <don_wa5ngp@...> wrote:
                      > Hi Dimitirs, good to meet you.
                      > Well what you are describing is exactly right.
                      >
                      > However, for the money its really a good way to get going unless you
                      > are the kind of person that really demands everythig work properly all
                      > the time and you don't have to spend any time tinkering.
                      >
                      > I think that the biggest problem is related to the wireless mode where
                      > they must save power to conserve battery life. In this mode the
                      > samples are taken very infrequently, like every 15 minutes. Also to
                      > save power the load impedances in the cables are very low and it makes
                      > them subject to noise.
                      >
                      > So as one poster said depending on your environment and expectations
                      > you can get reasonable service. However, as most have said they
                      > really did skimp on the LCD as its difficult to see very well and the
                      > backlight doesn't really do much. I took mine back and exchanged a
                      > couple of times thinking it was defective but they all are like that.
                      > for some reason the contrast ratio is just really low.
                      >
                      > But again, for !$100 what do you expect? I"m still enjoying tinkering
                      > wiht mine.
                      >
                      > The little rain sensor is a clever design. Its like a little childs
                      > see-saw in there that rocks back an forth every 1/100 in of rain.
                      > Clever and simple design. Only problem is that in Texas sometimes
                      > spiders get in there and gum things up.
                      >
                      > How much do they sell for in Greece? How much is the Davis higher
                      > end model?
                      >
                      > have fun
                      > Don
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • don_wa5ngp
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 3, 2007
                        Yes, you are correct Ken the load impedances are high and thus subject
                        to noise.

                        I need to check the book. but when in wireless mode I was thinking
                        the sample interval for checking the data was something like
                        9-15minutes. Quite a long period in between anyway. For the 2317.

                        As far as the wind sample duration, when it happens it seems to run up
                        a counter for about a second or 2 duration. I suspect that this
                        doesn't change in wireless mode. It just doesn't get sampled as
                        frequently in wireless.

                        regards,
                        Don