Cloud Height Calculations

  • Etherial Border Collies
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2007
      Hi all,

      I am wondering if there is a simple formula for calculating cloud height. I
      have come across these formulas but there looks to be an error to me:
      cloudTemp = - 0.00984*cloudHeight + airTemp
      cloudTemp = - 0.00182*cloudHeight + dewPoint
      Another one is that cloud height is simply 125 times the difference between
      air temp and dew point.
      I would have thought though that cloud height would have to have pressure
      factored in, which to the best of my knowledge it isn't in these formulas. I
      don't think pressure is factored into dewpoint? If pressure is used somehow,
      do you use absolute or relative, and this leads to - would there be any
      adjustment based on altitude?

      Cheer,

      Michael