Re: WS2310 wind change out?

  • Texan
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 30, 2006
      Ok, let me try it this way. Does ANYONE know if a wind speed and
      direction sending unit from another manufactor will work on this base
      station? NOT the computer software which I don't use.

      I keep seeing "one wire" units,, what the heck is a One Wire unit?
      Does that mean 4 wires inside one bundled cable or just one wire ? I
      am confused. I would ask the sites on line that advertize these units
      but they require sign ups and information.. grrrrr.

      Am I making any sense of what I am trying to do? The wind direction
      and speed sensor on this unit are terrible! I want to keep the
      basestation and swap out just the speed and direction unit.

      Thanks.
      PS< cold in Texas this morning, would tell you the wind speed but it
      is frozen up!!

      --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, "Texan"
      <texman317@...> wrote:

      > Ok, got one of the horrible WS 2310 units. It works pretty good,
      > EXCEPT the wind speed.
    • wuhu_software
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
        Texan,

        One wire devices are not compatible with the La Crosse weather stations.
        1-Wire requires the use of a interface module (serial or usb).

        You can learn about 1-Wire by following this link:

        http://www.hobby-boards.com/catalog/howto_basics.php
        <http://www.hobby-boards.com/catalog/howto_basics.php>

        I believe the Weather Display application can work with the 1-Wire
        devices if you have the interface module. Apparently you can override
        your La Crosse wind sensor using this method.

        There is apparently a cup-style wind sensor available that is compatible
        with the WS-23xx weather stations however this part is not available
        from North American suppliers. The part # is TX218-20 (TX118-20 for
        2300/2305/2308).

        See this message for more information:

        1
        <http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Lacrosse_weather_stations/message/16\
        21>

        <texman317@...> wrote:

        > Ok, let me try it this way. Does ANYONE know if a wind speed and
        > direction sending unit from another manufactor will work on this base
        > station? NOT the computer software which I don't use.
        >
        > I keep seeing "one wire" units,, what the heck is a One Wire unit?
        > Does that mean 4 wires inside one bundled cable or just one wire ? I
        > am confused. I would ask the sites on line that advertize these units
        > but they require sign ups and information.. grrrrr.
        >
        > Am I making any sense of what I am trying to do? The wind direction
        > and speed sensor on this unit are terrible! I want to keep the
        > basestation and swap out just the speed and direction unit.
        >
        > Thanks.
        > PS< cold in Texas this morning, would tell you the wind speed but it
        > is frozen up!!
        >
        > --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, "Texan"
        > texman317@ wrote:
        > >
        > > Ok, got one of the horrible WS 2310 units. It works pretty good,
        > > EXCEPT the wind speed.

      • Scott Miller
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
          The '1-wire' part refers to the Dallas Semiconductor 1-wire bus standard.
          It's just an electrical interface that combines power and signal on one
          wire. You still need a ground return, and some devices need external power.

          The TAI-8515 is the 1-wire wind instrument from AAG Electronica. I don't
          think there would be any simple way to adapt it to the WS2310.

          I've got a WS 2310 and a TAI-8515 on the same mast, and yeah, the wind
          sensor sucks. The 1-wire unit seems to do a lot better.

          Scott

        • Don
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 2, 2006
            I have wondered the same thing. I also have the ws2310, and I have
            searched a little to try and find a replacement for combination
            Direction/speed sensor. I did find this one, but I do not know if it
            is compatible with the WS2310.

            http://www.hobby-boards.com/catalog/product_info.php?
            cPath=22&products_id=92

            <texman317@...> wrote:

            > Ok, let me try it this way. Does ANYONE know if a wind speed and
            > direction sending unit from another manufactor will work on this
            base
            > station? NOT the computer software which I don't use.
            >
            > I keep seeing "one wire" units,, what the heck is a One Wire unit?
            > Does that mean 4 wires inside one bundled cable or just one wire ? I
            > am confused. I would ask the sites on line that advertize these
            units
            > but they require sign ups and information.. grrrrr.
            >
            > Am I making any sense of what I am trying to do? The wind direction
            > and speed sensor on this unit are terrible! I want to keep the
            > basestation and swap out just the speed and direction unit.
            >
            > Thanks.
            > PS< cold in Texas this morning, would tell you the wind speed but it
            > is frozen up!!
            >
            > --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, "Texan"
            > <texman317@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Ok, got one of the horrible WS 2310 units. It works pretty good,
            > > EXCEPT the wind speed.

          • James Gray
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 2, 2006
              On 01/12/2006, at 3:51 AM, Texan wrote:
              > Ok, let me try it this way. Does ANYONE know if a wind speed and
              > direction sending unit from another manufactor will work on this base
              > station? NOT the computer software which I don't use.

              In short - no. I am not aware of any 3rd party anemometers that will
              work with the WS-2300 or equivalents. However, Lacrosse *do* offer
              an alternative anemometer for the WS-2300/2305/2308/3600.
              http://www.lacrossetechnology.fr/en/P-166-223--18-D1--wstx20-our-
              products-transmitters.html

              I didn't go as far as contacting any of the local Lacrosse resellers
              around here for pricing or availability, but I'm sure they could do a
              special order if it isn't in stock.

              > I keep seeing "one wire" units,, what the heck is a One Wire unit?
              > Does that mean 4 wires inside one bundled cable or just one wire ? I
              > am confused. I would ask the sites on line that advertize these units
              > but they require sign ups and information.. grrrrr.

              One wire devices provide both power and data over a single wire (but
              still require an earth, so it's actually 2 wires in reality).
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-wire_bus

              Weather-specific 1-wire sensors are here:
              http://www.aagelectronica.com/aag/index.html

              Long story short, to build the a one wire system with the same number
              of sensors as the low-end Lacrosse units (2300/2305/etc) would cost
              significantly more, and you wouldn't get the nice display unit. In
              my part of the world, it would cost me almost 2.5-3 times as much to
              replace my WS-2300 with equivalent 1-wire sensors. However, on the
              flip-side, 1-wire bus allows to KEEP adding sensors that are not
              available on my Lacrosee (such as lightening sensors, solar radiation
              and soil moisture). I've seen evidence that the 1-wire sensors can
              be more accurate, but in my experience the accuray (or inaccuracy) of
              most of these "consumer" sensors has to do with installation more
              than the sensor itself.

              > Am I making any sense of what I am trying to do? The wind direction
              > and speed sensor on this unit are terrible! I want to keep the
              > basestation and swap out just the speed and direction unit.
              I think I get what you asking...but only you can decide if the
              answers I've given above solve your problem. Good luck with it all :)

              Cheers,

              James

            • john
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 4, 2006
                <texman317@...> wrote:

                > Ok, got one of the horrible WS 2310 units. It works pretty good,
                > EXCEPT the wind speed. Got that little dinky fan thingie inside a
                > circle. It has never showed anywhere near the correct speeds. I would
                > change it out to a two piece unit, with direction on one vane and wind
                > speed using the three cup type device. Yes, I can solder wires no
                > problem..
                >
                > So, anyone done this on this WS2310? How difficult was it? Did the
                > change work?
                >
                > Looking for tips and ideas.
                >
                > Thanks folks!!

                Did not see an answer to your question , I see on LaCrosse web site
                that on model ws3512-al that is 433.92 has a cupped wind anemometer
                going to call customer support to see if it will work on the 2310