Re: [LacrosseWS] Strange anomily ti reports the same value each time

  • DKee
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 31, 2006
      Here's what I got from LaCrosse when I inquired about the very same thing:

      These incorrect wind speed readings are caused by electro-magnetic
      interference; there are two ways this type of interference can be
      prevented. The easier and less invasive method is to ensure that all
      of the cable between the wind and thermo hygro sensors is firmly held
      in place so that it cannot move. This will prevent a static charge
      from building on the cable due to friction. The more difficult but
      more effective method is to modify the sensor as shown here:
      http://www.lavrsen.dk/sources/weather/windmod.htm By grounding the
      cable as illustrated here, any charge will be drained to ground before
      it can cause any incorrect wind readings.

      Hope this helps.

      ~ Deborah

      On 8/31/06, ml41782 <ml41782@...> wrote:

      > I have notice since I have been using open2300 programs and the fact
      > that I log all my data. The wind speed will show at times 114.1mph
      > winds. just out of the blue spikes. Some times 1 or twice a week or 2
      > to 3 time in a day. but the value is consistant.
      >
      > Any thoughts ?

    • Paul
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 31, 2006
        Re: Strange anomily ti reports the same value each time
        > Posted by: "DKee" debkee@... debkee58
        > Date: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:54 am (PDT)
        >
        > Here's what I got from LaCrosse when I inquired about the very same thing:

        Unbelievable, they know there is an issue but rather than supplying half
        decent shielded cable or a system design that isn't susceptible to stray
        charges they prefer owners to have to bodge up their own cable. I wonder
        if they'd use it to get out of any warranty claims?
      • DKee
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 2, 2006
          I had that same question, and here's their simple reply:

          No this will not void your warranty. If you need any further
          assistance, please contact us. Have a great day.

          But I still wonder. :-)