Re: [Lacrosse_weather_stations] WS-2310

  • Lane P. Lester
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 8, 2003
      "hmcpeak" <hmcpeake@...> wrote:
      > Also, the two places I'm looking at price wise(2310) are
      > Partsbin.com/Hewes Time and Weather(and another name I don't
      > remember) and DynaDirect with the later being the best price
      > shipped, US$166. Any experience with these places?

      I wish I had joined this forum before I ordered my 2315. It's on its way
      from EverythingHome.com and it's costing me $183+20S&H. It was less than
      some other places, but I see it wasn't the cheapest.

      I'm glad to see at least a little activity on here. I've never had a
      weather station before, although I've been wanting one for some time.
      I did quite a bit of surfing before deciding on the 2315 as the best
      combination of features for what I wanted to spend.

      I'll try mine without the cable mod at first to see if it's necessary.

      Lane
      ____
      Lane P. Lester / Madison County, Georgia USA
      *** Running Linux more and Windows less ***
    • hmcpeak
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 8, 2003
        > Wired updates pretty fast. I think it was every 5 or 8 seconds.

        I read that also, think it may have been 8 seconds.

        >Wireless updates every two minutes give or take. That pretty much
        >sucks and it does rule out gusts unless you get lucky. I read
        >somewhere that above a certain threshold it will transmit the data
        >faster in wireless mode but I don't know what that threshold is or
        >if it's rain or wind related.

        If the wind is blowing faster than about 22 mph it updates I think
        every 32 seconds, still pretty slow.

        > I'm desperately trying to figure out a way to wire my transmitter
        >to my base but so far I haven't figured out an acceptable solution
        >yet.

        Good luck, I think that's the way to go.

        >I ordered a couple things from Dynadirect and both times everything
        >went just fine.

        Ordered it this morning.

        > > Are you satisfied with the Heavy Weather software? The pictures
        > > look good of course.
        > It's crapola.

        That's what I was afraid of, it was either going to be crappy or it
        would be trialware looking for more money.

        >I use Weather Display which will be another $50 on top of the
        > station.

        I had that bookmarked but really haven't started looking at that yet.
        I had read where the guy doing FreeWX was thinking of supporting
        more weather stations but then saw a note from him saying the La
        Crosse protocol wasn't documented and would be hard to do.

        > Any more questions just ask!

        Thanks. I'll be quiet now til I get to open it on Christmas
        morning.<G>

        Holland
      • hmcpeak
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 8, 2003
          > I wish I had joined this forum before I ordered my 2315. It's on
          >its way from EverythingHome.com and it's costing me $183+20S&H.

          I think I looked at every place under the sun and $166 shipped was
          the best I could find. Even tried ebay but with shipping they
          didn't turn out so good.

          > I'm glad to see at least a little activity on here.

          It would be nice to get more users in here.

          >I've never had a weather station before

          Same here, hopefully it will be a fun learning experience.

          > I did quite a bit of surfing before deciding on the 2315 as the
          >best combination of features for what I wanted to spend.

          I subscribe to the Langa news letter and he mentioned weather
          stations and La Crosse in specific so that caused me to consider
          getting a weather station. Don't know which one he has but the 2310
          is about as much as I wanted to spend. BJ's has the 2310, actually
          the TWC version, for $180 but with tax that would have pushed it to
          around $193.

          > I'll try mine without the cable mod at first to see if it's
          >necessary.

          Me to.

          Holland
        • Ryan
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 8, 2003

            > > I'll try mine without the cable mod at first to see if it's
            > >necessary.
            >
            > Me to.

            I wouldn't worry about the spikes too much. I'm probably in an unusual area.
            I have the transmitter for my police district maybe half a mile away along
            with some other transmitters sprinkled around me. If you do have problems
            it's not so bad rewiring.
          • Ryan
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 8, 2003
              > I had that bookmarked but really haven't started looking at that yet.
              > I had read where the guy doing FreeWX was thinking of supporting
              > more weather stations but then saw a note from him saying the La
              > Crosse protocol wasn't documented and would be hard to do.

              Read the Weather Display forum <http://www.weather-watch.com/phpBB2/> before
              you decide if you want to purchase it or not. I'm still on the fence. Every
              so often the guy that writes WD gets a bout of the "screw 'ems" which makes
              me a little weary. On the plus side it's probably the cheapest software out
              there and there are a lot of features.
            • Lane P. Lester
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 9, 2003
                "hmcpeak" <hmcpeake@...> wrote:
                > >I use Weather Display which will be another $50 on top of the
                > > station.
                >
                > I had that bookmarked but really haven't started looking at that yet.
                > I had read where the guy doing FreeWX was thinking of supporting
                > more weather stations but then saw a note from him saying the La
                > Crosse protocol wasn't documented and would be hard to do.

                It must not be too hard to figure out. Kenneth Lavrsen has written
                software for Linux.

                Lane
                ____
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 9, 2003
                  > I think I looked at every place under the sun and $166 shipped was
                  > the best I could find.

                  Let me correct that. Actually the best prices were from the La
                  Crosse Outlet Store at this url:

                  http://www.commercecrossing.com/

                  These are returns/refurbs and stuff appears to go on and off the
                  list as they get it. At the moment there are 3 classifications of
                  2310's available

                  Like New... Don't remember price, it wasn't competitive
                  Minor Flaw on Front 152 US$
                  Noticable Flaw on Front 124 US$

                  I think there are better definitions of what 'flaws' means somewhere
                  on the site.

                  Lots of other stuff also, some good prices some not.

                  Holland
                • hmcpeak
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 9, 2003
                    > Read the Weather Display forum <http://www.weather-
                    >watch.com/phpBB2/> before you decide if you want to purchase it or
                    >not.

                    I'll do a little reading but will wait til I get the 2310 installed
                    before I make any decisions.

                    Holland
                  • hmcpeak
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 9, 2003
                      > > I had read where the guy doing FreeWX was thinking of supporting
                      > > more weather stations but then saw a note from him saying the La
                      > > Crosse protocol wasn't documented and would be hard to do.
                      >
                      > It must not be too hard to figure out. Kenneth Lavrsen has written
                      > software for Linux.

                      Yes I noticed other programs supporting the 2310. Think I'll see if
                      I can post a note to him.