Update: Re: Long serial connection between 3600 and PC

  • Scott Crawford
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 3 3:45 AM
      --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Crawford"
      <bcrawfo2@...> wrote:

      > I'm trying to put my 3600 display in the hallway next to my thermostat
      > and have my PC in the basement...maybe 30ish feet away. I tried a
      > short extension using a ribbon cable that had all 6 wires connected
      > and a RJ45 coupler but I get a segmentation fault on fetch3600.
      > Anyone done a long run on the serial portion. What kind of cable did
      > you use?
      > Thanks

      Strangely....I went on a hunch and tried patch cables vs the
      structured cable in my house and they worked. I wonder if it's
      something about shielded vs unshielded. I had this same problem
      trying to use structured cabling between the sensors and the base.
      I've actually got the base connected to the computer with about 75
      feet of cable with no problems.
      Thanks for your suggestions. I was surprised when it worked.
      It's nice to have the display hanging on the wall where I see it.

      Scott
    • Ken
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 3 4:33 AM
        OK, there could potentially be some useful info there for the rest of
        us, if you explained...

        What are the characteristics of 'patch' cable and 'structured' cable?
        Those terms don't mean anything to me.

        Ken.

        On 4/3/06, Scott Crawford <bcrawfo2@...> wrote:
        > --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Crawford"
        > <bcrawfo2@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > I'm trying to put my 3600 display in the hallway next to my thermostat
        > > and have my PC in the basement...maybe 30ish feet away. I tried a
        > > short extension using a ribbon cable that had all 6 wires connected
        > > and a RJ45 coupler but I get a segmentation fault on fetch3600.
        > > Anyone done a long run on the serial portion. What kind of cable did
        > > you use?
        > > Thanks
        > >
        > Strangely....I went on a hunch and tried patch cables vs the
        > structured cable in my house and they worked. I wonder if it's
        > something about shielded vs unshielded. I had this same problem
        > trying to use structured cabling between the sensors and the base.
        > I've actually got the base connected to the computer with about 75
        > feet of cable with no problems.
        > Thanks for your suggestions. I was surprised when it worked.
        > It's nice to have the display hanging on the wall where I see it.
        >
        > Scott

      • Scott Crawford
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 3 7:21 AM
          Sorry I wasn't clear.
          My structured cabling connection consisted of:
          PC -> DB9 to RJ12 (included with the weather station) -> a port on
          ethernet patch panel -> boxed cat5 cable run in my basement/walls ->
          leviton cat5 jack (punch down) -> short RJ12 to RJ12 -> weather
          station display.
          The structured cabling portion is "a port on ethernet patch panel ->
          boxed cat5 cable run in my basement/walls -> leviton cat5 jack (punch
          down)". The structured cable portion works for 2-line telephone and
          ethernet.
          I tried using different structured cable runs to eliminate the
          possibility of length problems.

          Using patch cables the connection looks like:
          PC -> DB9 to RJ12 (included with the weather station) -> RJ45 coupler
          -> 50 feet of RJ45 terminated cat5 cable (usually called patch cable)
          -> RJ45 coupler -> short RJ12 to RJ12 -> weather station display.
          In reality...as I have installed today...I have another patch cable
          and RJ45 coupler between the PC and weather station display.

          Scott
          --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, Ken
          <kenandmichele@...> wrote:

          > OK, there could potentially be some useful info there for the rest of
          > us, if you explained...
          >
          > What are the characteristics of 'patch' cable and 'structured' cable?
          > Those terms don't mean anything to me.
          >
          > Ken.
          >

          > On 4/3/06, Scott Crawford <bcrawfo2@...> wrote:
          > > --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Crawford"
          > > <bcrawfo2@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I'm trying to put my 3600 display in the hallway next to my
          thermostat
          > > > and have my PC in the basement...maybe 30ish feet away. I tried a
          > > > short extension using a ribbon cable that had all 6 wires connected
          > > > and a RJ45 coupler but I get a segmentation fault on fetch3600.
          > > > Anyone done a long run on the serial portion. What kind of
          cable did
          > > > you use?
          > > > Thanks
          > > >
          > > Strangely....I went on a hunch and tried patch cables vs the
          > > structured cable in my house and they worked. I wonder if it's
          > > something about shielded vs unshielded. I had this same problem
          > > trying to use structured cabling between the sensors and the base.
          > > I've actually got the base connected to the computer with about 75
          > > feet of cable with no problems.
          > > Thanks for your suggestions. I was surprised when it worked.
          > > It's nice to have the display hanging on the wall where I see it.
          > >
          > > Scott

        • Ken
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 3 12:23 PM
            Nup, I still don't get it. You wonder whether the difference in
            behaviour is shielded vs not shielded. So which of those cables is
            shielded, and which is not?
            And I don't get the use of the word 'structured' in that context.
            What does an un-structured cable look like?
            Ken.

          • Kenneth Porter
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 4 2:59 PM
              On Monday, April 03, 2006 10:45 AM +0000 Scott Crawford
              <bcrawfo2@...> wrote:

              > Strangely....I went on a hunch and tried patch cables vs the
              > structured cable in my house and they worked. I wonder if it's
              > something about shielded vs unshielded. I had this same problem
              > trying to use structured cabling between the sensors and the base.
              > I've actually got the base connected to the computer with about 75
              > feet of cable with no problems.

              Patch cables aren't shielded. More likely this is a length or noise issue.
              Your patch cables are probably taking a much more direct route and so are
              much shorter than the path the lines take through the wall. And the lines
              in the wall probably pass electrical and telephone stuff and so get noise
              injected into them from adjacent cables.

              RS232 isn't very robust over any distance. You might want to try converting
              it to 422 or current loop before sending it over any distance. Those are
              better at handling long haul.
            • Ken
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 5 5:56 AM
                The CAT5 cable I've got isn't shielded either! So I wonder what type
                of cable is?
                Ken.