Re: [LacrosseWS] Digest Number 356

  • M.S. Dickerson
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006
      Up and over here in New York State, its been one of the warmest and
      least snowy winters in decades. Precipitation (water content), has
      been close to normal, but due to the high temps over the last 2
      months, the snowfall has been very meager. February was the 10th
      least snowy February on record (150 years - no my weather station.).
      Mostly due to the temps.

      steve d
      www.pinkyjaq.com
      ws2315

      --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, "Marcello Pittau"
      <dogmatix@...> wrote:

      > Greetings,
      >
      > Joep, it's good to hear you have had success getting things running
      on one
      > PC at least.
      >
      > I have my anemometer running again, and reporting good wind speed
      numbers.

      > All it needed to come back to life was the right connector to join
      the two
      > cables together, silly how the simplest things hold things up sometimes?
      >
      > I added the cloud base and wind run to my displays, and tried in
      vain to set
      > up the Virtual Weather Station software to send all this data to my
      website.
      > I shrugged after mucking about with it for a couple of hours, this is
      > definitely not an area where I have much knowledge. But ... I will
      work it
      > out, I always do, just takes me some time :)
      >
      > What I would like to know is: what are the units of measurement for the
      > cloud base height and wind run?
      >
      > I have my Lacrosse 2310, Heavy Weather and VWS running in metric units
      > through out, so I am guessing it is going to be metres for the cloud
      base
      > height, and kilometers for the wind run.. be good if someone could
      confirm
      > that.
      >
      > Summer is about to officially end in Victoria, Australia tomorrow (Feb
      > 28th), although summer like weather can continue right through to
      April in
      > Victoria. It's been one of the hottest summers in the South East of
      > Australia, for some areas the hottest on record.
      >
      > Just a couple or records that jump to mind, December 31st, 2005, was the
      > hottest ever December day in Frankston East, 44.5ºC, and the first
      time ever
      > that we had two consecutive days over 43ºC, these occurred on
      January 21st
      > and 22nd, with 43.3ºC and 43.9ºC respectively. On these days, the
      source of
      > the heat was in South Western, and North Central New South Wales, where
      > temperatures had been around 45ºC+ for weeks. Temps in the area
      peaked at
      > just over 48ºC. Normally this extreme heat sits over North Western
      Western
      > Australia.
      >
      > I've been keeping a record of weather data since 1979 for my area, and
      > January 2006, was the second warmest on record, average max of 31.2ºC,
      > warmest was Jan 1993 with 31.4ºC
      > December was the 2nd warmest with an average max of 29ºC; the
      warmest was
      > 2003 with an average max of 29.8ºC.
      > The Entire Summer was the 3rd warmest with an average max of 29.7ºC,
      beating
      > it were 1993 with 29.73ºC, and 1997 with 30.5ºC
      >
      > Enough for now, you must be all bored to sleep.
      >
      > Good night :)
      >
      > Marcello
      >
      > --
      Feb 2006

    • michael
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006
        hi group, maybe someone can help me here, i'm at wits end...

        after degrading comm problems for a couple weeks, i seem to have lost all contact with my WS2310.
        this includes two computers (i was switching over from an old notebook to a new dell desktop), built in serial ports and two different USB-serial adapters.
        i get nothing from the 2310 now.

        this is all using Weather-Display software, haven't gone back to heavyweather yet. i'll try that tonight.

        my problems seemed to start when i first implemented some dallas 1-wire sensors in WD. even disabling all that doesn't help.
        people at weather-watch.com don't have much to contribute.

        any ideas? ready to buy a better weather station, tired of these troubles. as an expert in electronics interfacing, i've never had a deep love for RS-232....

        (resetting the 2310 does nothing, switching ports does nothing (though it did help once a week ago...) switching cables doesn't help. i've tried all the basics.)

        thanks people!

        michael

      • J.L. Blom
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006
          For what it's worth look at the grounding. I had a lot of trouble but
          with the help pf a serial line tester I found that the nr2 pin had an
          erroneous DC-level which disappeared when I grounded the external
          powerline. On battery it didn't work either. To me it reeks to an
          earthing loop (yes, serial lines are a pain especially in sloppy
          designed equipment).
          Joep

          On Wed, 2006-03-01 at 11:40 -0800, michael wrote:
          > hi group, maybe someone can help me here, i'm at wits end...
          >
          > after degrading comm problems for a couple weeks, i seem to have lost all contact with my WS2310.
          > this includes two computers (i was switching over from an old notebook to a new dell desktop), built in serial ports and two different USB-serial adapters.
          > i get nothing from the 2310 now.
          >
          > this is all using Weather-Display software, haven't gone back to heavyweather yet. i'll try that tonight.
          >
          > my problems seemed to start when i first implemented some dallas 1-wire sensors in WD. even disabling all that doesn't help.
          > people at weather-watch.com don't have much to contribute.
          >
          > any ideas? ready to buy a better weather station, tired of these troubles. as an expert in electronics interfacing, i've never had a deep love for RS-232....
          >
          > (resetting the 2310 does nothing, switching ports does nothing (though it did help once a week ago...) switching cables doesn't help. i've tried all the basics.)
          >
          > thanks people!
          >
          > michael

        • wuhu_software
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006
            Did you mention you have an oscilloscope?

            Radio shack sells a two jack telephone adapter (2 modular jacks, both
            wired to 4 screws) that you can use to make a breakout box.

            I would try Heavyweather first though. I have been in a situation
            after a reboot of the console and thermo unit where the unit would
            not talk until Heavyweather talked to it. I never really tracked it
            down, but it did happen to me.

            --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, michael
            <abraxas1@...> wrote:

            > hi group, maybe someone can help me here, i'm at wits end...
            >
            > after degrading comm problems for a couple weeks, i seem to have
            lost all contact with my WS2310.
            > this includes two computers (i was switching over from an old
            notebook to a new dell desktop), built in serial ports and two
            different USB-serial adapters.
            > i get nothing from the 2310 now.
            >
            > this is all using Weather-Display software, haven't gone back to
            heavyweather yet. i'll try that tonight.

            > my problems seemed to start when i first implemented some dallas 1-
            wire sensors in WD. even disabling all that doesn't help.
            > people at weather-watch.com don't have much to contribute.
            >
            > any ideas? ready to buy a better weather station, tired of these
            troubles. as an expert in electronics interfacing, i've never had a
            deep love for RS-232....

            > (resetting the 2310 does nothing, switching ports does nothing
            (though it did help once a week ago...) switching cables doesn't
            help. i've tried all the basics.)

            > thanks people!
            >
            > michael

          • J.L. Blom
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006
              I first used a scope but found an old RS232 testbox (4 red & green led's
              indicating the DC-levels)that's connected in the RS232 cable so the
              signals are fed through) the more useful. I don't know if they still can
              be obtained.
              Joep

              On Thu, 2006-03-02 at 00:36 +0000, wuhu_software wrote:
              > Did you mention you have an oscilloscope?
              >
              > Radio shack sells a two jack telephone adapter (2 modular jacks, both
              > wired to 4 screws) that you can use to make a breakout box.
              >
              > I would try Heavyweather first though. I have been in a situation
              > after a reboot of the console and thermo unit where the unit would
              > not talk until Heavyweather talked to it. I never really tracked it
              > down, but it did happen to me.
              >
              > --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, michael
              > <abraxas1@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > hi group, maybe someone can help me here, i'm at wits end...
              > >
              > > after degrading comm problems for a couple weeks, i seem to have
              > lost all contact with my WS2310.
              > > this includes two computers (i was switching over from an old
              > notebook to a new dell desktop), built in serial ports and two
              > different USB-serial adapters.
              > > i get nothing from the 2310 now.
              > >
              > > this is all using Weather-Display software, haven't gone back to
              > heavyweather yet. i'll try that tonight.
              > >
              > > my problems seemed to start when i first implemented some dallas 1-
              > wire sensors in WD. even disabling all that doesn't help.
              > > people at weather-watch.com don't have much to contribute.
              > >
              > > any ideas? ready to buy a better weather station, tired of these
              > troubles. as an expert in electronics interfacing, i've never had a
              > deep love for RS-232....
              > >
              > > (resetting the 2310 does nothing, switching ports does nothing
              > (though it did help once a week ago...) switching cables doesn't
              > help. i've tried all the basics.)
              > >
              > > thanks people!
              > >
              > > michael

            • wuhu_software
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 3, 2006
                Actually, I would not use a testbox.

                Although the out going serial voltages are in the range of +/- 12 vdc
                (at least they should be, if you have a laptop that might be a
                problem, some only output +/- 5 VDC), the voltages coming back from
                the console are 3v range.

                Also, since the console is apparently using parasitic power draw from
                the DTR and RTS lines, and there is no signal ground, I am not sure
                what would happen using the testbox. It may just the PC signal
                ground, maybe.

                If you have an o-scope, it is a much better method for determining
                what is going on (like verifying your PC output voltages). This will
                also help you determine if you have a noise problem (and I bet you
                will see some).

                Let me know how your testing goes.

                --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, "J.L. Blom"
                <jlblom@...> wrote:

                > I first used a scope but found an old RS232 testbox (4 red & green
                led's
                > indicating the DC-levels)that's connected in the RS232 cable so the
                > signals are fed through) the more useful. I don't know if they
                still can
                > be obtained.
                > Joep
                >
                > On Thu, 2006-03-02 at 00:36 +0000, wuhu_software wrote:
                > > Did you mention you have an oscilloscope?
                > >
                > > Radio shack sells a two jack telephone adapter (2 modular jacks,
                both
                > > wired to 4 screws) that you can use to make a breakout box.
                > >
                > > I would try Heavyweather first though. I have been in a situation
                > > after a reboot of the console and thermo unit where the unit
                would
                > > not talk until Heavyweather talked to it. I never really tracked
                it
                > > down, but it did happen to me.
                > >
                > > --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, michael
                > > <abraxas1@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > hi group, maybe someone can help me here, i'm at wits end...
                > > >
                > > > after degrading comm problems for a couple weeks, i seem to
                have
                > > lost all contact with my WS2310.
                > > > this includes two computers (i was switching over from an old
                > > notebook to a new dell desktop), built in serial ports and two
                > > different USB-serial adapters.
                > > > i get nothing from the 2310 now.
                > > >
                > > > this is all using Weather-Display software, haven't gone back
                > > heavyweather yet. i'll try that tonight.
                > > >
                > > > my problems seemed to start when i first implemented some
                dallas 1-
                > > wire sensors in WD. even disabling all that doesn't help.
                > > > people at weather-watch.com don't have much to contribute.
                > > >
                > > > any ideas? ready to buy a better weather station, tired of
                these
                > > troubles. as an expert in electronics interfacing, i've never had
                > > deep love for RS-232....
                > > >
                > > > (resetting the 2310 does nothing, switching ports does nothing
                > > (though it did help once a week ago...) switching cables doesn't
                > > help. i've tried all the basics.)
                > > >
                > > > thanks people!
                > > >
                > > > michael

                > > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • J.L. Blom
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 3, 2006
                  I agree with you on the voltages. I think actually that a ground-loop
                  between then PC (which has of course pin 5 on ground) and the 2315
                  causes problems, especially when using an external powersource instead
                  of batteries. I think that the groundloop causes a pull-up Voltage (~
                  -5V) on pin 3 of the RS232 plug coming from the 2315.
                  Another thing to think of in Linux is to set the permissions
                  of /dev/ttyS0 correct (chmod 666) as otherwise only root has access (at
                  least in FC4). I don't know if Windows has the same kind of security.
                  Joep

                • wuhu_software
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 6, 2006
                    Question #1
                    -----------

                    I found this on the net and have a couple of question for the group:

                    ---

                    Apparently this guy opened up a console unit. Link to his post is
                    here:

                    http://www.eham.net/reviews/review/40949

                    "Note at the console, pin 4 of the RJ12 is earth; however at the
                    hyg/therm RJ socket, pin 1 is earth. Likewise the rain & wind RJ
                    plugs."

                    Also,

                    "Inside the wind unit the lowest wire which is yellow, is the earth."

                    ---

                    Now according to Kenneth's PC serial cable:

                    Pin 2 RXD Orange wire Receive data from WS2300
                    Pin 3 TXD Green wire Transmit data to WS2300
                    Pin 4 DTR White wire Signal from PC to WS2300
                    Pin 7 RTS Blue wire Signal from PC to WS2300

                    ---

                    So if the original author above is correct, and that pin4 (DTR) is
                    run to the ground plane on the weather station PC board (I suppose
                    what he is calling Earth although I do not see any Earth ground in
                    sight), isn't the negative side of the power pack connected to the
                    ground plane?

                    If so, what does this mean? The DTR held at -12v relative to the PC
                    ground is being connected to the power packs negative voltage line?

                    Can some EE person enlightening me here??

                    ---

                    Question #2
                    -----------

                    My unit is not picking up the WWVB time signal. The above poster said
                    that he removed the two internal antennas. I am guessing one is for
                    reception of the WWVB and the other is for the thermo transmitter?

                    Has anyone taken the console apart to look inside? If so, is it
                    difficult to take apart? I know some consumer products are a pain to
                    pop open. Any tricks?

                    Also, if you have been inside of this thing what do these antennas
                    look like? Piece of copper wire?

                    Thank you in advance.

                  • doug@dougbraun.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 6, 2006
                      At 06:50 PM 3/6/2006 +0000, wuhu_software wrote:

                      >Question #1
                      >-----------
                      >
                      >I found this on the net and have a couple of question for the group:
                      >
                      >So if the original author above is correct, and that pin4 (DTR) is
                      >run to the ground plane on the weather station PC board (I suppose
                      >what he is calling Earth although I do not see any Earth ground in
                      >sight), isn't the negative side of the power pack connected to the
                      >ground plane?
                      >
                      >If so, what does this mean? The DTR held at -12v relative to the PC
                      >ground is being connected to the power packs negative voltage line?
                      >
                      >Can some EE person enlightening me here??

                      This does not surprise me at all. It means that from the base unit's point of view,
                      RS-232 signals will range from 0 to 24 volts, instead of -12 to +12 volts.
                      That makes the RS_232 interface circuitry in the base unit much simpler

                      It also means that you can't really ground the base unit, because then you
                      would end up shorting the DTR line to ground, through the computer's
                      power cord ground line.

                      But in any case, it would be very foolish to use hard-wired sensors
                      and the computer interface at the same time, because you would
                      be just begging for RF interference or static to blow your computer.
                      You really need an optically-isolated interface between the base unit
                      and the computer.

                      I would love to hard-wire the thermo sensor to the base, but without
                      grounding everything, I think it's just too dangerous, since I have
                      the wind sensor way up on the top of my roof.

                      >My unit is not picking up the WWVB time signal. The above poster said
                      >that he removed the two internal antennas. I am guessing one is for
                      >reception of the WWVB and the other is for the thermo transmitter?
                      >
                      >Has anyone taken the console apart to look inside? If so, is it
                      >difficult to take apart? I know some consumer products are a pain to
                      >pop open. Any tricks?
                      >
                      >Also, if you have been inside of this thing what do these antennas
                      >look like? Piece of copper wire?

                      The WWVB antenna is almost certainly a ferrite (dark grey) cylinder with lots
                      of fine wire wrapped around it, and the 430 MHz antenna is probably just a
                      few inches of wire.

                      Doug Braun
                    • wuhu_software
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 6, 2006
                        Doug,

                        Thanks for the quick response. I believe you are correct, having the
                        DTR connected via the external sensors is just asking for trouble. I
                        am also concerned that you would have to buy a high-end fiber optic
                        isolator to be truely be protected from lightning in any case. I
                        suppose the lesson here is use a cheap computer with the console, or
                        else.

                        I did see a opto isolator at B&B with it's own power source. This
                        might help a bit, and may save the serial port under some conditions,
                        but will probably not protect from lightning stike either (even
                        though it is advertised as providing lightning protection).

                        Also, I am wondering if this DTR to connection to the power pack
                        negative terminal is also the root cause of people losing their
                        serial ports? Over the past 20 years, I have never blown a serial
                        port and from the looks of it, La Crosse owners seem to have a high
                        rate of failure? I am thinking it is not necessarily lightning
                        causing this problem.

                        I have been running in wired mode all winter, as spring is
                        approaching, I am thinking now is a good time to go back to RF.

                        Would disconnecting the power pack provide any relief from the RF
                        noise? I am guessing no. Now that I see how it is connected, I am
                        removing the power pack regaurdless. It just seems intuitive that it
                        could cause potential damage to the PC in one way or another.

                        As far as the internal antennas are concerned, would it be possible
                        to replace the internal ferrite type antenna with an external one or
                        who that not be possible? I was thinking I might be able to make an
                        external antenna connector of some sort on the case of the unit?

                        Thanks in advance.

                      • doug@dougbraun.com
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 6, 2006
                          At 08:18 PM 3/6/2006 +0000, you wrote:

                          >Would disconnecting the power pack provide any relief from the RF
                          >noise? I am guessing no. Now that I see how it is connected, I am
                          >removing the power pack regaurdless. It just seems intuitive that it
                          >could cause potential damage to the PC in one way or another.

                          I doubt that using the power pack vs. batteries will affect anything much.
                          The power pack itself is internally well-isolated from the power line or ground.

                          Actually, my unit is:

                          1: Conencted to my computer
                          2: Using hte power pack
                          3: In the basement

                          and it still gets the WWVB reception!

                          Try turning the base station so that it faces directly to or away from Fort Collins, Colorado.

                          >As far as the internal antennas are concerned, would it be possible
                          >to replace the internal ferrite type antenna with an external one or
                          >who that not be possible? I was thinking I might be able to make an
                          >external antenna connector of some sort on the case of the unit?

                          I doubt it. The WWVB antenna is part of a tuned circuit that would
                          stop working if it were messed with.

                          Doug
                        • wuhu_software
                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 6, 2006
                            Thank you for the info.

                            Let me know if you have any ideas on a cheap isolator.