WS2300 wind speed and direction error when wired both to sensor and PC

  • sm3nse
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 18, 2005
      Hi all.
      Has anyone out there had this problem:
      I have a WS2300.
      Readings are OK when:
      1. Connected to COM1 and sensors wireless
      2. Sensors wired and no connection to COM1.

      Wind speed and direction are stuck to 3,1m/s and 337 degrees(NNW) when
      connected to both COM1 and sensors wired.

      My first thought was RFI from the PC etc, but the problem remains with
      PC shut down.
      Also tried to redirect wirings away from other wires, but no success.
      Put some ferrite toroids on serial cable and sensor wire as well, but
      no improvement...

      So, I´m out of ideas.

      Any help is welcome.

      Thanks,
      Lage
    • Jim Garlick
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 18, 2005
        That reminds me - does anyone know the RS-232 pinout for the WS2300?
        When I checked with an ohm meter a while back, I got

        DB9-F RJ-11
        2 (rx) 4
        3 (tx) 3
        4 (dtr) 2
        8 (cts) 1

        This is strange because ground (pin 5 on the DB9) is not hooked up!
        Can anyone confirm this pinout?

        Maybe the lack of a common ground is causing something strange
        to happen in your case?

        Jim