Re: [LacrosseWS] Dallas 1-wire

  • Ken Wagnitz
    Message 1 of 24 , Nov 30, 2005
      While we are off topic...
      It makes interesting reading anyway Gareth.

      When you are thinking one wire and PicAxe, don't forget two wire -I2C. Unfortunately the PicAxe
      doesn't support one-wire device addressing, but it sure does a lot in one Basic instruction. I've
      looked at the one-wire protocol, and it would take a lot to implement it from scratch.
      I've only used the Dallas temperature sensor, but I've used I2C chips a bit, both at work (in a
      previous life) and home.

      For the hardware fiddler:
      Temperature is dead easy, rain is easy, just counting bucket tips, but making the hardware from
      scratch would be fiddly. Wind speed is relatively easy, just counting pulses and measuring
      direction, speed easy, direction fiddly. Humidity and pressure are the hard bits, and/or
      expensive. I have a variable-capacitance humidity sensor. The problem is calibration. Pressure
      chips tend to be expensive. If anyone can find a cheap source, let me know.
      Real time clock is relatively easy. Not even needed if the logging is done by a PC.

      I have a Lacrosse WS. Made in China, quality and materials all relatively low. But at this
      stage, it works, and provides all the measurements I mention above. I'd always intended to roll
      my own, but never got around to it. The WS is the lazy solution.

      I too would like a light sensor. And temperature readings from my pool, and maybe elsewhere in
      the house. I'm sure a PicAxe or two will feature in there somewhere. Maybe wireless transmission
      back to my logging PC.

      If anyone is at all curious, do go look at the PicAxe website. A lot of functionality in a very
      cheap and functional micro (eg around A$5 for an 8pin chip, all software for it free). There is
      also a PicAxe Yahoo group.

      Ken.

    • Adrian D. Shaw
      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 1, 2005
        > Finally, apologies to group as this seems to have veered way off the
        > lacrosse topic!

        Not at all! I want to know what to replace my LaCrosse system with when it
        finally breaks down. This looks promising. I too am running Fedora Core 4,
        with Open3600 software and my own graphing programs in Perl and Bash (using
        Gnuplot) - can be seen at http://users.aber.ac.uk/ais/weather/current.html. So
        I'm not afraid of more coding!

        The only thing that bothers me with this is the need to leave the computer on
        24/7. My weather station does not update the graphs overnight because I put
        the computer off. That's OK because the LaCrosse unit stores the data for
        nearly a fortnight at the 10 minute log setting.

        Adrian
      • g6ejg
        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 1, 2005
          In which case have a look at this URL

          http://oww.sourceforge.net/hardware.html

          and the "hardware" section towards the bottom where you can find
          details of running linux/oww on a linksys "slug". I leave the linux
          box on 24x7 but there are times ( ie holidays ) when I leave the
          equipment turned off for days or weeks. The "slug" is something I
          wouldnt mind leaving running whilst Im away. Not sure it would be man
          enough to run the mysql side of my setup but given disk space it could
          store data to synchronise to the main system when its turned back on.

          Excluding the cost of the disk the "slug" is <£60

          Gareth.

          --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, "Adrian D. Shaw"
          <ais@a...> wrote:

          > > Finally, apologies to group as this seems to have veered way off the
          > > lacrosse topic!
          >
          > Not at all! I want to know what to replace my LaCrosse system with
          when it
          > finally breaks down. This looks promising. I too am running Fedora
          Core 4,
          > with Open3600 software and my own graphing programs in Perl and Bash
          (using
          > Gnuplot) - can be seen at
          http://users.aber.ac.uk/ais/weather/current.html. So
          > I'm not afraid of more coding!
          >
          > The only thing that bothers me with this is the need to leave the
          computer on
          > 24/7. My weather station does not update the graphs overnight
          because I put
          > the computer off. That's OK because the LaCrosse unit stores the
          data for
          > nearly a fortnight at the 10 minute log setting.
          >
          > Adrian

        • Ryan
          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 1, 2005
            I think this is very interesting. I know quite a few people are
            unhappy with Lacrosse stations. Discussions of any improvement ideas
            or outright sensor replacement, especially homebrew type stuff, are
            completely welcome!

            On 12/1/05, g6ejg <gareth@...> wrote:

            > Finally, apologies to group as this seems to have veered way off the
            > lacrosse topic!
            >
            > Gareth
          • Willie McKemie
            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 1, 2005
              All this talk of 1-wire has gotten me thinking. And following the
              cited links. I have two interests in running a weather station:
              rainfall and temperatures from several locations. For me, the wind
              direction, wind speed, humidity, and pressure are "nice", but not of
              great interest.

              It looks like the 1-wire station from the Mexican source with oww would
              not be a good replacement for the LaCrosse because there is no rain
              sensor and the temperature sensor is not well shaded. I'm looking for
              a semi-off-the-shelf system/components; I don't want to learn much
              about electronics. The 1-wire has piqued my interest because it would
              be easy to configure with multiple temperature sensors.

              Can anyone point me to an OTS 1-wire rain sensor? How about weather
              resistant temperature sensors?

              Thanks for the discussion of LaCrosse alternatives. Is there another
              forum where this thread would be more on-topic? "Linux weather
              monitoring hardware and software"?

              --
              Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
              Debian3.0/GNU/Linux system uptime 11 days 21 hours 47 minutes
              Message 6 of 24 , Dec 1, 2005
                Assuming you have a PC to run the software then to get what you
                describe using off the shelf components then you will simply need

                1) a USB or RS232 adaptor for the PC

                2) Some wire connected to one of these of the shelf rain gauges:-

                http://www.hobby-boards.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=81

                OR

                your existing lacrosse rain gauge wired into one of these:-

                http://www.hobby-boards.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=42

                3) for the temperature all you need is one or more of these wired into
                the cable:-
                http://www.hobby-boards.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=109

                Or you could go the whole hog and purchase one of these:-

                http://www.hobby-boards.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=57

                but you are right about the shield, but I have to say the issue of
                shielding isnt just an issue for the 1-wire device, the lacrosse units
                are just as bad and Ive read negative comments about other
                manufactures. I have seen some interesting designs using plastic plant
                pot saucers painted white and bolted together which they say work
                rather well.

                Main problem with 1-wire is that it isnt stand alone and requires a PC
                running - there are standalone dataloggers but they are hellish
                expensive and you might just as well go buy a "proper" weather station!

                regards

                Gareth

                --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, Willie McKemie
                <sprinter@a...> wrote:

                > All this talk of 1-wire has gotten me thinking. And following the
                > cited links. I have two interests in running a weather station:
                > rainfall and temperatures from several locations. For me, the wind
                > direction, wind speed, humidity, and pressure are "nice", but not of
                > great interest.
                >
                > It looks like the 1-wire station from the Mexican source with oww would
                > not be a good replacement for the LaCrosse because there is no rain
                > sensor and the temperature sensor is not well shaded. I'm looking for
                > a semi-off-the-shelf system/components; I don't want to learn much
                > about electronics. The 1-wire has piqued my interest because it would
                > be easy to configure with multiple temperature sensors.
                >
                > Can anyone point me to an OTS 1-wire rain sensor? How about weather
                > resistant temperature sensors?
                >
                > Thanks for the discussion of LaCrosse alternatives. Is there another
                > forum where this thread would be more on-topic? "Linux weather
                > monitoring hardware and software"?
                >
                > --
                > Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
                > http://counter.li.org Linux registered user #228836 since 1995
                > Debian3.0/GNU/Linux system uptime 11 days 21 hours 47 minutes

              • Larry
                Message 7 of 24 , Dec 6, 2005
                  --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, "g6ejg"
                  <gareth@g...> wrote:

                  > Assuming you have a PC to run the software then to get what you
                  > describe using off the shelf components then you will simply need
                  >
                  > 1) a USB or RS232 adaptor for the PC
                  >
                  > 2) Some wire connected to one of these of the shelf rain gauges:-

                  http://www.hobby-boards.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=81

                  I've ordered from Hobby Boards before, they seem to be a reputable
                  company. If you poke through the forums at www.weather-display.com ,
                  you'll find a lot of DIY projects similar to what Hobby Boards sells
                  (the lighnting detector is a popular one).

                  I have some one-wire components, but I'm still reluctant to ditch my
                  LaCrosse for one reason... It's wireless, and won't conduct lightning
                  back into my house (and into my computer!) I really would like to
                  monitor the pool and spa temperature, but don't consider it safe after
                  seeing the after effects of a close strike. Coverting a one-wire to
                  wireless seems a bit too much work :)

                  I'd be interested in hearing what others use for their pool or spa...
                  The one-wire thermometer couldn't hold up for long in chlorinated
                  water, but if it lasts a season at $4 it's not too costly. Perhaps you
                  could seal it in epoxy?

                  Larry
                • Kenneth Porter
                  Message 8 of 24 , Dec 6, 2005
                    [Cross-posted to Lacrosse and 1-wire lists.]

                    --On Tuesday, December 06, 2005 6:11 PM +0000 Larry
                    <itsmelarry2002@...> wrote:

                    > I have some one-wire components, but I'm still reluctant to ditch my
                    > LaCrosse for one reason... It's wireless, and won't conduct lightning
                    > back into my house (and into my computer!) I really would like to
                    > monitor the pool and spa temperature, but don't consider it safe after
                    > seeing the after effects of a close strike. Coverting a one-wire to
                    > wireless seems a bit too much work :)

                    Yep, that's a big concern for me, as well. I'd be interested in hearing of
                    others' work in protecting wired systems, perhaps through transformer
                    coupling. I do industrial robotics design, and manufacturing environments
                    often involve taking zaps from other vendors' equipment, so one must
                    mitigate that by putting protective devices in-line with communications and
                    device control wiring, while minimizing their effect on the signals. It can
                    be touch, especially so on high-speed lines. (Try isolating USB 2.0
                    high-speed!)
                  • Larry
                    Message 9 of 24 , Dec 6, 2005
                      <shiva@s...> wrote:

                      > [Cross-posted to Lacrosse and 1-wire lists.]

                      There is a "1-wire" list? All I could find was a group called
                      "ukha_1wire", no one posts anything there but spam. Are you referring
                      to something outside of Yahoo?

                      > Yep, that's a big concern for me, as well. I'd be interested in
                      hearing of
                      > others' work in protecting wired systems, perhaps through transformer
                      > coupling.

                      Is there much current passing through the '1-wire' system? Perhaps a
                      few pico fuses would provide some protection, but I imagine nothing
                      will block a direct hit. I've seen phone line surge suppressors at
                      Home Depot, no idea if they are transformer coupled or fused.

                      Larry
                    • Kenneth Porter
                      Message 10 of 24 , Dec 6, 2005
                        --On Wednesday, December 07, 2005 1:12 AM +0000 Larry
                        <itsmelarry2002@...> wrote:

                        > There is a "1-wire" list? All I could find was a group called
                        > "ukha_1wire", no one posts anything there but spam. Are you referring
                        > to something outside of Yahoo?

                        Not Yahoo, an independent Mailman list. (Yahoo's a late-comer to mailing
                        lists.)

                      • michael
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jan 5, 2006
                          My rain gauge worked fine for two years, but then it started to miss ticks. on closer inspection it was clear that the reed switch had rotated slightly so it wasn't experiencing the magnet field as it should. i gently rotated it a few degrees back to where it should be, pressed the reed wires into place a little bit to hold it there, and it's been fine.
                          i could imagine a little epoxy holding it there permanetly, but it didn't seem called for at the time and has been working for another year since then.
                          subtle problem though, i noticed it cause i couldln't hear the reed switch tick.

                          http://www.casacecere.com

                          horlickharper <horlick.harper@...> wrote: The system may be a bit cheap and cheerful, but mine's been working
                          since Christmas 2004 mostly OK via the Open2300 software. I too have
                          a problem with the rain gauge. It appears to be due to dodgy reed
                          switch contacts. I discovered this by connecting the rain gauge to a
                          pulse detector and battery. Tipping the bucket manually many times
                          eventually got the switch working again, but it periodically fails.
                          I will try and get a replacement or just solder in a new reed switch.

                          Anyone else had this problem?

                          --- In Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com, "david wynn"
                          <dgwynn@b...> wrote:

                          > Hi
                          > I too looked around at weather stations some 12 months ago and
                          settled for
                          > the la crosse ws2315. to date I consider mine excellent value for
                          budget, it
                          > records everything I want it to with precision. I must admit that
                          I would
                          > love to be able to afford a davis station or even a less expensive
                          wireless
                          > system but I cant and honestly I cant complain about my station
                          either. My
                          > only gripe about the ws2315 is that I believe there is no way one
                          will ever
                          > achieve the advertised wireless range back to the indoor receiver
                          and I did
                          > learn this one very early on in my ownership of the station.
                          > Regards
                          > david

                          Adrian D.
                          > Shaw
                          > Sent: Wednesday, 30 November 2005 7:09 PM
                          > To: Lacrosse_weather_stations@yahoogroups.com
                          > Subject: Re: [LacrosseWS] Sorry LaCrosse but......
                          >
                          > > Greetings !
                          > > I was gifted with a LaCrosse Professional (???) weather station
                          last
                          > > Christmas. It was the WS 2315 AL. I must now give my honest
                          opinion.
                          > > After going through some problems and dealing with LaCrosse I can
                          > > without a doubt state plainly and with confidence that the
                          weather
                          > > station is JUNK.
                          >
                          > (etc)
                          >
                          > If you find anything else which offers all the functions of the
                          LaCrosse for
                          > anything like a similar price, I'm sure there will be many who
                          would be
                          > interested.
                          >
                          > Did you identify your rain gauge problem? Was it the sensor
                          failing to
                          > detect
                          > a tip, or the tipper failing to tip? I've had something of a
                          problem with
                          > mine
                          > too (WS-3600) and I'm not sure it's working properly now - though
                          it has
                          > recorded some rain today. I think my problem was caused by a snail
                          inside
                          > the
                          > housing making things a little sticky, so the tipper wasn't
                          tipping so
                          > easily.
                          >
                          > The problem is, for a reliable weather station you're going to
                          have to pay
                          > (as
                          > far as I can see) something like five times the price of the
                          LaCrosse. Form
                          > many, and certainly for most people new to this hobby, that's too
                          much.

                          > Adrian

                          Vane weather Station weather wireless Science kits Science education Lacrosse weather station Lacrosse wireless weather station