Open2300 locks up

  • Ken Wagnitz
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 6, 2005
      Hi Gang.

      I've finally got a server going at home, and tried to run Kenneth's
      weatherstation.php. It works some of the time, but often the fetch
      from the weatherstation locks up, and the WS2300 is left in a strange
      state -dashes for all the readings from outside. I am using the radio
      connection to the sensor, and the P3-450 PC is running Windows XP.
      (Server is Apache.)

      Apologies if all this has appeared here before, but has anyone else
      had the same problem? More importantly, have they had the problem and
      solved it?

      I think I will end up cabling to the weatherstation sensors. But that
      won't help with the locking up of the program.

      I've tried running Linux (ubuntu) a number of times, but each time
      something doesn't work -eg I bought a common (DLink) WiFi card for the
      garage PC, but it isn't supported under Linux, and screen resolution
      is stuck at 640x480. These problems can be overcome, but not without
      a lot of effort. Windows just works first time.

      Failing any useful response here, I think I'll have to 'pull apart'
      Kenneth's code and see if I can find the problem. It possibly relates
      to timing. (I looked On Kenneth's Wiki, but couldn't find anything
      relevant.) Maybe the console doesn't like to be interrogated on the
      serial port at the same time it is downloading from the sensors?

      Ken.
    • Freddo
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 6, 2005
        Hello Ken

        I have been using the Open2300 software now for 16 months with a similar setup
        to you - XP, Apache, and a modified version of weatherstation.php. The Open2300
        software works really well although you cannot pole the weatherstation too
        frequently. I have found about 10-12 seconds is as often as I can pole the
        weather station. I am running it cabled

        It takes about 6-8 seconds to update from the sensors so no point trying to pole
        it too frequently.

        Freddo
      • David George
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 6, 2005
          Yes I think Kenneth has documented that the weather station doesn't
          like talking when it is updating from sensors, the wind sensor seems
          to be a particular problem in this respect.

          What did you modify in weatherstation.php? Was it worth feeding back
          into the main codebase?

          On 11/7/05, Freddo <freddo@...> wrote:
          > Hello Ken
          >
          > I have been using the Open2300 software now for 16 months with a similar
          > setup
          > to you - XP, Apache, and a modified version of weatherstation.php. The
          > Open2300
          > software works really well although you cannot pole the weatherstation too
          > frequently. I have found about 10-12 seconds is as often as I can pole the
          > weather station. I am running it cabled
          >
          > It takes about 6-8 seconds to update from the sensors so no point trying to
          > pole
          > it too frequently.
          >
          > Freddo

          > ________________________________

        • millallo
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 25, 2005
            Hi Ken,

            I've the same problem too...
            My WS2300 sometimes (unfortunately very often) stops receiving data
            from sensors only when is connected to serial port and fetch2300 or
            mysql2300 in Linux run scheduled every 15 minutes...
            It never returns in the 'operational' status and i have to power off
            the station (like Windows do...).
            When it works right, data are retrieved in 4-10 seconds, but when it
            fails, data are retrieved in over 3 minutes and the station locks
            forever showing dashes.
            I also think that there is a race condition between downloading from
            sensors and requesting from serial line, but what can i do?
            I tried to set MAXRETRIES and MAXWINDRETRIES to 1 in rw2300.h to
            reduce the risk but no success.

            Did you find the reason of this problem or a hack to avoid it?

            Let me know

            Ciao
            Emiliano